popping noise turning right?

maverick06

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 jetta TDI
Long story short.

For the last few thousand miles my 99.5 jetta has been making a popping noise (many pops, not just one) only when turning right under accelleration. (No noise when coasting or decellerating in gear and turning right, no noise under any circumstances). no pulsing in the brakes, and the car appears aligned well as it tracks nicely.

The noise is rotational, the faster you go, the faster the pops happen (again, it will make many popping noises, not just one). Probably once per revolution on the tires, not entirely sure. And it is, with as much certanty as i can have, coming from the front passanger side of the car.

I took it into the mechanic twice, first time they couldnt hear it and sent it back. Second time they said it was likely the CV joint so replaced both on the passnager side.

I have to admit that I didnt notice the noise for about 300 miled after that service, and I did try to get it ot happen.

but its back now.

All boots and ball joints look ok and no grease has slung out. I am thinking it might be a wheel bearing at the extremely early stages of going.

Right now i am on a "wait and see if it gets worse " course. For the last 1500 or so miles it has not seemed to have changed.

Appreciate the input!

Rick

maverick06

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 jetta TDI
After looking into this more I cannot think of anything else this can be other than a wheel bearing or CV joint. It sounds like a CV joint, but I replaced the CV joints on that side.

So its either the wheel bearing on that side, or the driver side CV joint making the noise, but transmitting it to the passanger side.

So if its a wheel bearing, itll get louder and i will find out.
If its a CV joint, itll just give out at some point.

Any thoughts?

maverick06

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 jetta TDI
wouldnt that be just one pop, not multiple?

Ill try to get a video with the sound in it, not holding out hopes of the camera picking it up.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
I have BTDT. Sometimes it sounds like popcorn going off. Or like someone tapping on a metal panel. It won't necessarily be just one pop.

It could also be something else, this is true. It sounds about like it is the only thing you haven't checked!

Wheel bearings growl or whine. The outer CV joint will click as you roll it through the turn. So in this case, it could be the outer CV joint. The CV joint won't make noise without being turned and rolling. No popping by just turning the wheel on a stationary car.

The easiest way (to me) to tell when the inner CV joints are going is the power on steering wheel shimmy they induce.

If it turns out to be the CV joint, read the caveats about cheap replacement half shafts. There's some bad ones out there.

maverick06

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 jetta TDI
Just to close it out. I took it back into the mechanic, he said some CV joints just make more noise than others, and not to worry, its not failing, just noisy. Of course I pointed out that it didnt used to be and the other side isnt.

Regardless there is a year warranty on it, so we will see, but for now I am driving and not worying (too much) about it.

mk3

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta GLS 5-speed
Did the noise go away, clearly, immediately after you replaced both joints before?

in your first post you stated 'its back' which implies the noise had been gone.

I don't think some CV joints make more noise than others.. at least not in a way that would normally be heard.

Worn ones click and good ones are silent.

Is it possible that the new CV joint has failed? Is it possible the car has some condition that makes it really hard on CV joints?

An easy way to replace both CV joints is to replace them both with a cheap Chinese-manufactured axle. That would not be the correct way but it is easy and cheap.