Poly Dogbone Tranny Mounts

Cbus 00 TDI

TDI
2000 Jetta
I got a set of polyurethane dogbone tranny mounts from a buddy and have been debating on whether to install them or not. I heard from some it's supposed to stiffen up shifts and reduce engine movement. I heard from others that it just greatly increases vibration through the steering wheel and doesn't have much gain. Any input?

TDIRyan

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta TDI Black
IT does stiffen up the car's connection to the engine, which in a diesel translates to vibration as well.

P-car

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta
I installed the poly dogbone bushing in my Jetta. I couldn't stand it at idle. It was rattleing my fillings out. I put the stock dog bone in.

Dean

Ed's TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Bora and 2016 Touareg
I went with an upgraded poly dogbone as well while everything was apart during my turbo swap. At first, I thought What the h3ll is wrong with my car! but Ive gotten used to it now. It definitely makes a difference in the amount of twist of the engine when it puts out more power! And there is no sign of wheel hop under hard acceleration. They arent very expensive so if you install one and find that you dont like it, you can chalk it up to a learning experience ... or sell it to some other curious fool ..er, member. :D

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
If you want to compremise, only use one half of the poly. Put the poly on the firewall side of the mount. I ran full poly for a while and its extremely loud at idle due to vibrations. One half poly is nice and still beneficial.

Ed's TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Bora and 2016 Touareg
oldpoopie said:
If you want to compremise, only use one half of the poly. Put the poly on the firewall side of the mount. I ran full poly for a while and its extremely loud at idle due to vibrations. One half poly is nice and still beneficial.
Interesting idea! If anyone else happens to try this out, make sure to report your findings!

TooRoundTDI

Skunk Rocker
TDI
1998 Jetta
Ive got a half and half and I LOVE it. No vibrations and no engine movement. Ive had it for about 10k miles. All poly is waaaaay too much vibration. Leave the small stock one in the front, its used for when your reversing and doesnt need to be stiff.

Cbus 00 TDI

TDI
2000 Jetta
I installed both dog bone mounts tonight and you weren't kidding about extra vibration! I did notice the decrease in engine movement a bit and overall I like them, especially since they were free :) I'm going to run with both for a while and try switching to just the rear poly in a bit. Thanks for the help!

l1o9s7t6

Veteran Member
TDI
jetta, sedan 2002 blue
I installed the trans end and only half of the other end as I did not have both pieces. I did not notice any vibrations(but I do have an auto trans, maybe that had something to do with it) What I did not like is that I wore out the trans end in 2 months, to the point it was klunking.

T-Y

TDI
2005 PD Jetta Wagon
Are there any advantages to changing to poly bushings on all three motor mounts? Or should I just do the dogbone? What about changing the entire mount versus changing the bushings only? I saw that VF Engineering offers all-billet alumunim mounts that are more durable than stock. I was getting my baseline dyno last night (big power coming soon:D ) and the guy who was running things told me he changed out the dogbone bushings on his 1.8T and it really tightened up the engine and smoothed out the shifts. Thoughts??

KROUT

persona non grata
The vibration isn't that bad if you still run a duel mass flywheel. With the sm flywheel and poly the vibration is to much or it was for me.

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
change more than the dogbone and you'll have crazy vibration in the dash at idle.

weasel

Deactivated Member Account
TDI
None.
Rather than go with the extra vibrations, I took the mount apart and cut a piece of aluminum for a shim ( there is just over 1/4" of play in there !! ) That made a noticable difference in the way the car shifts and no extra harsh vibrations. You could also cut the bolt down, but I didn't want to do that in case I didn't like the results.

Justler

Veteran Member
If you can't stand a poly dogbone mount, you may be a wussy ;).

You will get more vibration but it will settle in. I don't even notice mine anymore. I agree with oldpoopie. Don't replace the transmission mount insert that's on the side... If you do, even after settling in, it will rattle your face off.

I'm super dooper cereal.

T-Y

TDI
2005 PD Jetta Wagon
Ordered Prothane dogbone bushings today. I hope the vibration isn't too annoying. I'm willing to sacrifice a little comfort in exchange for performance, but it's still a daily driver...

Justler

Veteran Member
I drive my catless, mufflerless, poly mounted stage 3+ clutch, VNT20 jetta every day at least 100 milesa day... It all depends on how particular you are about things.

O.C.TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta TDI, 09' JSW TDI, 09' BMW 335d
It seems to me that the 1/2 or whole poly DBone would be beneficial in an 04'-05' PD A4 because the upper boost hose that hooks into the EGR has a failure prone clamp due to excessive engine movement. Mine needs to be replaced and I have only about 60K mi. on the stock one. I also know others that have had the same problem.
By reducing the linear movement of the engine it should extend the life of this connection. This would also be cheaper than changing your hose every 50k or so, The hose is $60-$80usd.

The 1/8"-1/4" cut mod could also be beneficial. Anything that would reduce the front/back motion.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=107107&highlight=dogbone

O.C.TDI

Last edited:

T-Y

TDI
2005 PD Jetta Wagon
The poly bushings have been in for a few days now, and man you guys weren't kidding about the vibration:eek: !! You only really notice it when taking off or while accelerating, although it is the whole car! I figured I'd feel it in the shifter and maybe through the steering wheel only. However, once the car is at speed or while you're idling there is nothing to notice. And holy crap does it shift smooth now! All in all, I think the comfort/performance trade off was worth it.:)

johnnloki

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Golf TDI
Just got a set of Prothane mounts today- now it's time to work up the balls to do the job :D. http://www.ottawa-vdubbing.com/forums/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=13397

That looks like a good run through on how to do it- so which one do I want to leave stock? The taller skinnier one or the shorter portlier one?

Gotta diagnose a misfiring cylinder in the girl's car first before I can get to mine. A note for anyone ever diagnosing CEL in a honda- where you'd hook up the OBD computer, if you make a circuit between the two wires in the harness with a wire, or a paperclip, etc, and then turn the car on the CEL will blink- there's a list of numbers of blinks and what they mean all over the net- no OBD reader required. Thank god, that would've been my VagCom fund out the window.

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
johnnloki said:
Just got a set of Prothane mounts today- now it's time to work up the balls to do the job :D. http://www.ottawa-vdubbing.com/forums/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=13397

That looks like a good run through on how to do it- so which one do I want to leave stock? The taller skinnier one or the shorter portlier one?

Gotta diagnose a misfiring cylinder in the girl's car first before I can get to mine. A note for anyone ever diagnosing CEL in a honda- where you'd hook up the OBD computer, if you make a circuit between the two wires in the harness with a wire, or a paperclip, etc, and then turn the car on the CEL will blink- there's a list of numbers of blinks and what they mean all over the net- no OBD reader required. Thank god, that would've been my VagCom fund out the window.
When you take the mount apart, you'll notice that one stock rubber is much softer than the other. Replace that one.

T-Y

TDI
2005 PD Jetta Wagon
The owner of my local shop (Derek from Exklusiv) suggested replacing it with a 1.8T mount rather than leaving the stock mount in, i.e. one 1.8T & one urethane bushing. He said the 1.8T mount is stiffer than the stock TDI mount but not nearly as rough as the urethane ones.

I haven't tried it, still riding out the all-polyurethane setup. I'm pretty used to it now, although passengers comment on the ride quality occasionally:eek: .

Last edited:

drkblujetta

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Audi A4 ALH TDI
Dog bone mount was a worth while and inexpensive mod. Vibration wasn't excessive and we used the entire bushing.

weasel

Deactivated Member Account
TDI
None.
I chose to ass an aluminum shim inside there instead of cutting the post. Easier to return to stock if you don't like it.