Polo TDI motor?

DieselTrap

Veteran Member
TDI
99 PSD
Does anyone know anything about the Polo TDI motors? I'm told they are 3 cylinder turbo. I'm working on a A1 and I'm not to excited about the gas motor.

Hasenwerk

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
1982 Cabriolet (BEW|VNT17|Stage4), 1989 VW TriStar Syncro soon-to-be CR TDI (CBEA), 2001 Ford Ranger Edge 4x4 (ALH|VNT17|R520|Stage4)
DieselTrap said:
Does anyone know anything about the Polo TDI motors? I'm told they are 3 cylinder turbo. I'm working on a A1 and I'm not to excited about the gas motor.
I haven't personally done anything with a 3 cylinder TDI, but have read quite a bit on the 1.3L 3 cylinder "3L TDI" that is in the Lupo. I have a 1977 Rabbit here that I want to make into a super efficient vehicle and have been contenplating using one of these engines along with the 4 speed tiptronic transmission that was in the 3L Lupo.

The key is, with all TDIs, getting the COMPLETE engine to do the swap. With the 3L TDI, it is necessary to use the trannsmission that came with it as the engine talks to the transmission to do things like turn it off when you idle for more that 5 seconds and automatically turn itself on when you release the brake pedal from the red light. Lots of work to get one of these going in an A1... but certainly not impossible.

devonutopia

Top Post Dawg
TDI
PD300 Skoda Fabia
Apparently the new 3 cylinder 1.4 TDI engines are pretty decent. Obviously lacking the tuning potential due to low cc and a small turbo, but I think with a little money spent the stock 75hp could easily be pushed toward 100 with just a remap, and above that as you spend more on hardware changes. :)

I also believe they handle well because that engine isn't all that heavy, so you've lost some of that front end bias associated with the 1.9s.

audi80tdi

TDI
AUDI 80 TDI
The 1.4tdi 3cyl PD in the audi A2 is a 90 hp unit goes very well exept does'nt rev very high,but lots of torque.
Also i believe the capacity can be increased to 1.6.

mojogoes

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk3 tdi golf
80tdi...does the 1.4pd have quite a bit of material left between the cylinders for this increase.......and could you go bigger than 1.6L

audi80tdi

TDI
AUDI 80 TDI
Not sure mojo i assume you bore it out to take the 1.6 3cyl polo pistons ,not seen one in bits ,read it on a german web site grundler motorsport i think.
Prob with these in my opinion is there is no over rev one you hit the end of the powerband thats it,just gotta change up to the next gear.

mojogoes said:
80tdi...does the 1.4pd have quite a bit of material left between the cylinders for this increase.......and could you go bigger than 1.6L

Gothmolly

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf
What turbo does the Polo use? There was talk a while back of a twin turbo on the 1.9, but people shelved the idea because 2 cylinders of a 1.9 couldn't spool the VNT15. Could 2 cylinders of a 1.9 spool up whatever is on the 1.4 ?

Stef@n82

Veteran Member
TDI
VW Polo 9N 1.9 TDI-PD
polo´s diesel engines are available with:

1.4 ltr 3 cylinder 75/80 hp
1.9 ltr 4 cylinder 100/130 hp

DieselTrap

Veteran Member
TDI
99 PSD
My buddy was tring to tell me thiers a 150hp 3cyl, they just have a big turbo. I knew he didn't know what he ws talking about. Is thier a gas 3 cyl?

devonutopia

Top Post Dawg
TDI
PD300 Skoda Fabia
DieselTrap said:
My buddy was tring to tell me thiers a 150hp 3cyl, they just have a big turbo. I knew he didn't know what he ws talking about. Is thier a gas 3 cyl?
Yes, there's a 1.2 3 cylinder engine, either 12 valve or 6 valve. 6 valve is rubbish, but apparently the 12v is fairly pokey and sounds like a Porsche Cayenne. :D 150hp on a 3 cyl TDI engine with a big turbo may not be as silly as it seems. It's not that tough to take a 130bhp TDI engine and double the power output with a big turbo and some gubbins. Depending how good other parts of the 3 cyl engine is, 150 is possible - may not be the safest if no other mods like FMIC, injectors, etc has been done.

devonutopia

Top Post Dawg
TDI
PD300 Skoda Fabia
Stef@n82 said:
there is a 1.8 ltr 4 cylinder turbo gas engine called "gti" with 150 hp
Yup - the good old 1.8 20vt. :cool: One petrol engine I wouldn't mind having. I've always found it a little odd the same engine comes with 150hp - 225hp. Quite a range, but I suppose the 1.9 tdi comes with 100-160bhp too.

Stef@n82

Veteran Member
TDI
VW Polo 9N 1.9 TDI-PD
the 1.8 20vt range is from 150 hp - 240 hp (audi tt quattro sport)

the 1.9 tdi range is from 75 hp - 160 hp

Last edited:

devonutopia

Top Post Dawg
TDI
PD300 Skoda Fabia
75? Which one is that? I guess I'm referring to the PD specific ones, and not the older generation TDIs. :) There's a 3 cylinder 75hp motor in some VW or other, but that's not a 1.9.

Stef@n82

Veteran Member
TDI
VW Polo 9N 1.9 TDI-PD
the one with 75 ho was used in older audi models but for sure it was no pd;)

WW_VRS

TDI
N/A
I'm currently driving an Audi A2 with 1.4 PD engine, 3 cyl. Standard 90 bhp, it's been tweaked a bit. Hits the red fairly easily in the first couple of gears, then it runs out of steam a bit.

The 3 cylinder sound is growing on me, it is a bit of a growling sound. It's only got a mild remap on it, yet it shifts very nicely due to the very low weight of that car (loads of aluminium used, less than 1000kg total weight)

mojogoes

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk3 tdi golf
It sounds fun.....is the sound of the engine a little like the old Audi quatro's with five cylinders but a lot more subdued.....if so i loooove dat sound.

WW_VRS

TDI
N/A
Not sure what the old quattro sounded like from within the car, but for a 1.4 it has a lovely sound, kinda like growling :D