Votes: 166 64.1%
  • We're on the way

Votes: 78 30.1%

• Total voters

BigAndy

Veteran Member
TDI
99 A3
I was wondering if I'm alone in my thoughts about TDIClub...

Has TDIClub slowly denegrated to the level of that which we used to mock?

je

Veteran Member
TDI
-
I dont think it will happen.
We are generally too old and boring to be like Vortex.

You're not alone in noticing a frequently bitter tone. I was talking with another member the other day, and came up with a few reasons:
10 years ago the TDI was kind of new to us, interesting, exciting, full of promise. In quick succession we saw the appearance of simple easy mods for breathing, fuelling, exhaust, then tuning boxes, chips (Wett, Upsolute, RC, Alligator, and all the others) and were thrilled by the power gains.

Then we got a new engine, and another new engine, people sold their cars, grew up (or just old), faded away...

... and what remains is simply repeating what is proven to be successful. If you don't do that properly, well something must be wrong with you and you better not try that buster. Everything fun and positive is old. Questions have been asked and answered.

TDIs are everywhere, and not a niche - anyone can get one, even the specific wackos in hybrids whose form of protest is simply being annoying and socially backward.

TDIs were new cars when the forum emerged, but now there are plenty of much cheaper to purchase used models, that anyone who didn't have the time, attention and even money invested can participate. Plus - they're used, so they're kind of partially broken too, leading to some people's only participation being help for fixing them.

What's left?

It is still a positive to me that long-time members still stick around, and new members join, because we enjoy the same interest in driving diesel VWs. There's always been backbiting and crabby responses, except now it's not being flooded out by new and fun discoveries.

Surely there's more to it, but there's something there.

Last edited:

thebigarniedog

Master of the Obvious
TDI
1998 Jetta tdi
je said:
I dont think it will happen.
We are generally too old and boring to be like Vortex.

You're not alone in noticing a frequently bitter tone. I was talking with another member the other day, and came up with a few reasons:
10 years ago the TDI was kind of new to us, interesting, exciting, full of promise. In quick succession we saw the appearance of simple easy mods for breathing, fuelling, exhaust, then tuning boxes, chips (Wett, Upsolute, RC, Alligator, and all the others) and were thrilled by the power gains.

Then we got a new engine, and another new engine, people sold their cars, grew up (or just old), faded away...

... and what remains is simply repeating what is proven to be successful. If you don't do that properly, well something must be wrong with you and you better not try that buster. Everything fun and positive is old. Questions have been asked and answered. Enthusiasm faded away.

TDIs are everywhere, and not a niche - anyone can get one, even the specific wackos in hybrids whose form of protest is simply being annoying and socially backward.

What's left?
Sigh ..... it is not about the member, it's about the car. As an example, member "x" sold their tdi and bought a HHR. Yeah, he posted a bunch of crapola about how a HHR is a tdi, but not a diesel ..... he hung out with the GM crowd, realized his fail and came back (by buying a real tdi) ....

What is left is the car, enjoy the ride ......

BigAndy

Veteran Member
TDI
99 A3
Good comments je. I've read vwdiesel.net for years and they've managed to keep it from turning 'vortex'. Perhaps that's because the TDI came out <lol>.

I don't think we're vortexed yet (hence the zero votes), and as long as diesel remains out of the mainstream, we probably won't, but I like going back and reading posts from years ago still.

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
The thing that bugs me when people ask a question, some people answer the question with a blow off like go to the search. To me every problem is a little different.With the new mk there will a new set problems to slove wich is cool.

NB_TDi

Vendor
TDI
2014 Jetta SE
IBTL.

I think we're on the way. Everyday we have posts asking about 19" RimZ and 5" lowering kitz!

I just drive my car and wash it.

glendervw

TDI
2000 jetta
Newbee Tdi Guy

As A New Member I Feel Lucky To Have The Mind Blowing Support.
I Have Owned Countless H20 Vws And Now Am Undertaking A 1.9 Tdi Transplant Into My 87 Gti 2.0 Audi 80 Powered Fun Leggo.
I FULLY APPRECIATE THIS CLUB AND LOOK FORWARD TO COMMUNICATING TO FELLOW MEMBERS!
SINCERLEY GLEN NOVAK! STOWE VT

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 Jetta TDI SE / '06 Jetta TDI DSG Pkg0 / '96 Passat TDI
I agree with Monster. However, it is human behavior to ask before looking. The wise 'clubber and some newbies will search before asking the question.

In general, I think there is no equal to the TDIclub.

Tony

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
I can understand why BigAndy posted this, because I, too, have noticed more 'Vortex-ish' posts. But by and large I don't think this will ever become like the Vortex. The folks here are much more practical, by and large. Utilitarian. Frugal. :) And I think the maturity level will stay higher here.

I also have a Suzuki Burgman 650 (maxi-scooter....though I hate to call it a 'scooter', because it will do over 100mph and is like a mini Goldwing). And before you laugh...I hear jsrmonster (Jeff from Rocketchip) has one of these, too. :)

The folks at the BurgmanUSA forum are even nicer. But I still like the TDIclub. :)

Stibz

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta, 2009 Jetta
I'm on several forums for several different cars. I always say that this is by far the best forum, especially when it comes to technical info and help-when-you-need-it.

TDI's are definitely becoming more common, but it's the folks who actually wrench on our own cars that make this place invaluable. I'm 25 and, sadly, my generation is loaded with sh*t heads...that's why I'm on here and not vortex.

Last edited:

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
I'd say 90% of most posts on Vortex are like what I did above- especially parts-I don't spend much time on there-it's a PITA sifting through all the nonsense bumps-the site is just too big memberwise. The club here is still somewhat small-most people buy the TDI for fuel economy and believe in dealer work:rolleyes: ,and could care less about the club if you mention it to them.

London Luke

Veteran Member
TDI
I really like this forum

And here is why? Ok, in The USA you dont have the same experience of Diesels that we have in Europe. I can even remember in Savannah trying to help a mate get his AUDI fixed 10 years ago.... mechanics stared at it like it was a UFO !

But many Americans have a great approach to dealing with issues and fighting problems ! So I post here and on a UK forum. what i see as the main difference is the UK forums are more "Pimping My ride" types than this forum. Ok the quality on the UK forum ,technical side is great. But i admire this forum a lot.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Not Vortexed

Well, I'm not voting, cause I don't frequent Vortex, thus "me" mind isn't Vortexed.

Like one poster said, I just drive (don't wash it as often as I should:D ) and maintain it as best I know how. I don't abuse it by driving it like I stole it... it's about 99% mod free (cut the snow screen out).

I've been a VW enthusiast nearing 40 years and been on the diesel (EDIT, due to terrible use of words or a 60 word per minute typo) bandwagon over 30 years. I was experimenting with my own homebrewed "bio-diesel" in the early to mid-80s and using CFLs long before it become trendy.

When I was a young buck, I use to own a nice two-door hard-top cherry-red '62 Chevy with all the bells and whistles, hopped-up 327 engine (it liked gasoline), and fancy wheels. It was a head turner! Of course, today I don't care about stuff like that. I want it to be efficient, as trouble free as possible, and fun to drive! My 2000 ALH TDI meets that criteria!

The TDIclub is awesome ......... ask that crazy question and you will get some good answers and some expert ones too!:D

Follow my TDI ALH engine transplant into an '84 Vanagon in the Conversions Forum here in the club!

Last edited:

04SlvrJetta

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat SE DSG
I also will not vote because I am simply not familiar enough with Vortex and have not been around here long enough to notice a change. I do know this. When I joined it was to find information about a problem (had been lurking and reading and searching prior to that). I found and was replied to with great information from people who were aware of, had fixed their own or experienced the same problem. Though I am not nearly as well versed on these cars as many of you guys, I do my best to post and try to help others with things I have experienced. Ii read much to try to further educate myself and truly appreciate anyone taking time to help me out when I need it. This is a great forum! Remember, nothing can be everything to everybody! No, not even a Volkswagen TDI;) But, they are everything to some of us, frustrating to some of us and sowewhere between for the rest of us. And that my friends is IMHO why this club exists, is successful, and attracts new members. And no, those newer to the club are not likely to knock over something new as often because so many have so much experience with these cars already. But, as was mentioned before, the newer TDI's will provide new opportunities and challenges to pursue. Thanks for reading this!

bbk

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 VW 1.9TDI 90BHP
So Vortex is more about the lowering kits, body kits, spoilers, crazy crazy power gains (maybe not that), and racing around the place with mad exhausts rolling coal and eventually wrecking their motor?

What you get here is deep technical insight into many things, not just TDI related. As well as that you get good discussion in many aspects too. The members are helpful and are friendly.

To me this place is least like an internet forum. By that I mean I am a member of a few forums and two, this one included, are really nice places to gain information and Im sure if I wanted to chat about loads of things.

The typical forums have responces like

"use the search"
"you're such a n00b"
"you dont agree with me therefore you suck"

They also tend to be an insult fest with lots of members that wouldnt know mature if it hit them on the head. If you do post you have to be ready to defend yourself because if you are either mistaken or have a difference of opinion with a few members you will have to put up with a trainwreck of a thread.

I dont see this place heading towards that kinda forum. Though I dont frequent all of it and I only really post when I think i have something decent to contribute.

Last edited:

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
AndyBees said:
I've been a VW enthusiast nearing 40 years and been on the diesel ban wagon over 30 years.
:eek::eek::eek:

If you've been trying to get Diesels banned, I'm afraid you have a way to go yet...

Y.

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
Vortex has some good how-to's which helped me when I changed my struts and rear shocks. That is my only exposure to that other forum, so I really can't vote objectively. Today I saw an Audi that was "slammed" all to hell. It made me think of Vortex and why anyone would do that to an otherwise nice car; but I digress.

RomanL

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 GOLF TDI
as long as TDI owner #'s are greater then GTI owner #'s on here, this will not be another Vortex.
but dont get me wrong, im registered on both and go through most threads on both forums. both have alot of great info and alot of people willing to answer questions and help you out.

dpg

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI, 2010 JSW - retired
i voted "no" because i am new to here and have been cruising vortex when i had a gasser wagon and its very different. While i don't have anything against vortex i go there once in a while to see whats new but i rarely post. Here i can come and find answers that are specific to the tdi. vortex i think is more about image and what not because it is a younger crowd and they are all about looks and performance with the gasser and barely have any interest in the tdi. While i am still part of the younger crowd, i am over that modding stage when i had corvettes. now its time for me to grow up and get more practical. I guess i am a little different, haha. But you rarely see the what big wheels can fit on my car here and how can i make my car louder. i think tdi is safe for now :D

CMB430

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
I agree. I belonged to other forums in the past and currently read two. This one and a Jeep forum since next summer I want to start a build for a fun off road vehicle. The members here are mostly mature and give solid responses. Over there they are harder on questions and often chase new members out of threads.

I came here to ask questions before I bought my first VW. Since then I have bought a second and have enough knowledge to help with general questions and opinions. I have also learned a lot about the older engines. To me that is valuable knowledge that can not be gained from other forums, regardless of their focus.

Vortex is geared towards looks and speed...as is a Golf/Rabbit forum I spent some time on. I think TDICLUB is safe for years to come. The only complaint I have is that a lot of new members do not search anything...but I guess that is always going to be a few cards in a good hand.

Uberhare

Veteran Member
TDI
Too many.
Windjammer said:
We don't have 50 vendor stickies in every sub forum, so we can't possibly be the vortex.
Ding ding ding.....I hate all the ads on the VWVortex. I almost avoid it now. That reminds me, I'm due for a donation.....

The attitude is much nicer around here, and generally so are the people.

bbk

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 VW 1.9TDI 90BHP
CMB430 said:
The only complaint I have is that a lot of new members do not search anything...but I guess that is always going to be a few cards in a good hand.
Although I agree in principle about searching the reason behind some of the threads I make is because I cant figure out what's being said in the searched threads. :eek::D

I guess what could be happening in the current economic dang doodle more people, like me, wanna take care of their car and us n00b's dont have much of a clue.

For me this is an extremely technical forum and I can easily get lost, having said that Im willing to learn!!

PS:
Awh yeah!!! Im a veteran member :D :D :D lol

Last edited:

BigAndy

Veteran Member
TDI
99 A3
:D Yeah, that thought crossed my mind too. I hope this poll provides important feedback to the moderators and gives them some indication of what the membership (that'd us) is thinking.

It's a group effort and it's important to measure and then take those measurements and see where/if/how we can improve.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Miscellanous comment to protect my standing

ymz said:
:eek::eek::eek:

If you've been trying to get Diesels banned, I'm afraid you have a way to go yet...

Y.
I guess multi-tasking this morning caused me to make my first mistake of the day! If I make it through the rest of the day mistake free, that will be a first!

Sure glad we have a good eye on the use of words or improper use of them!:D

UFO

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle
London Luke said:
I really like this forum

And here is why? Ok, in The USA you dont have the same experience of Diesels that we have in Europe. I can even remember in Savannah trying to help a mate get his AUDI fixed 10 years ago.... mechanics stared at it like it was a UFO !

But many Americans have a great approach to dealing with issues and fighting problems ! So I post here and on a UK forum. what i see as the main difference is the UK forums are more "Pimping My ride" types than this forum. Ok the quality on the UK forum ,technical side is great. But i admire this forum a lot.
You said "UFO"?