Poll: Do You Wish You Had Bought a 2015?

Do you wish you had bought a 2015?

• Yes - I would have purchased a 2015 if I knew about the diesegate resolution & kickback

Votes: 15 50.0%
  • No - The money doesn't matter, I still wouldn't have bought one.

Votes: 8 26.7%
  • Definitely No - DieselGate has ruined the TDI thing for me.

Votes: 7 23.3%

• Total voters

cevans

TDIClub Enthusiast, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Bus
TDI
2015 Beetle Conv. TDI 6-Speed & 2006 E320 CDI
I know this is against the grain currently, but, it just occurred to me that those who bought a 2015 TDI with the new Gen3 engines are getting a pretty nice kickback.

According to the chart, many Gen3 owners will quality for up to a $7,967 payment if they choose to keep their cars. That is INCREDIBLE.

With this in mind, I started regretting NOT buying a 2015. Imagine buying at Golf SportWagen TDI, mid-trim level, for $25k and then a year later getting almost $8k back in your pocket, making your new 2015 now just $17,000, which is an INCREDIBLE deal for a really nice wagon.

So, who else has had this thought? In hindsight, knowing that you *could* have gotten almost $8,000 back, would you have bought a 2015?

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
'78 Golf Diesel (long gone); 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI w/ DSG
Dealers might be able to sell the 2015 TDIs soon

The salesperson at my dealership was cautiously optimistic that come July they'll be able to fix and then sell the 2015 TDIs they have sitting on the back of the lot.
Buying one of those (at a nice discount) might be the better option compared to getting my 2012 TDI fixed.
As usual, it all depends on the numbers.

cevans

TDI
The salesperson at my dealership was cautiously optimistic that come July they'll be able to fix and then sell the 2015 TDIs they have sitting on the back of the lot.
Buying one of those (at a nice discount) might be the better option compared to getting my 2012 TDI fixed.
As usual, it all depends on the numbers.
I wonder if they will sell the 2015s or just export them to another country like they did with undelivered 2016s.

PeteZ06

Veteran Member
TDI
E320 CDI
Nope bc my scenario is even better.

Purchased my 2011 A3 July 3rd 2015 for $15K.. I keep my daily drivers 3 yrs on the average.
Buyback sum right now is $22500
If I keep driving it another 2 yrs buyback sum will be around $21000

In two years my 2011 A3 will be worth around $10K and I'll sell it to Audi for $21K.

cevans

TDI
Nope bc my scenario is even better.

Purchased my 2011 A3 July 3rd 2015 for $15K.. I keep my daily drivers 3 yrs on the average.
Buyback sum right now is $22500
If I keep driving it another 2 yrs buyback sum will be around $21000

In two years my 2011 A3 will be worth around $10K and I'll sell it to Audi for $21K.
Yep - that is a nice outcome.

solBLACK

TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE
A nice "kickback"? Maybe if you're ok with taking the fix, but if you're looking to get out of the vehicle then you're getting the shaft. 2015 Golf SE with probably close to 40k miles come October. I'll be getting $2k-$3k less than what I paid. I would have never purchased this vehicle had I known what I do now. I would have went with the Focus ST like I was originally planning.

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
The new engines appear to be a whole other level of complexity and difficulty to service, however, they also get stunningly good fuel economy despite all the emissions control equipment and tuning.

If I were in a position to have purchased one pre-dieselgate, I would have.

dgoodhue

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 6MT JSW
2014 owners are also making out on the buyback as long as the miles aren't super high. My wife is average 18k miles per year and its seems as though I will get back my purchase price plus the $1000 Goodwill cards.

Borsig

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2015 GSW SEL (buyback), 2011 JSW (sold)
I bought a 15.

If I turned it in today - Id lose 2500ish on the car, and be out another 2K+ in sales taxes on its replacement.

If I keep it, and drive it 2 years, thats financially the best solution.

I dont know at this point if I am happy or not. What we will likely do, to minimize our loss is drive for 2 years and decide along the way what to do.

Its unlikely we will buy another VW, unless we are given a loyalty voucher thats good for the length of the buyback program.

right now the replacement looks like it will be a CPO 328D wagon. When is the question. I still have to see how invasive the fix is.

cevans

TDI
I bought a 15.

If I turned it in today - Id lose 2500ish on the car, and be out another 2K+ in sales taxes on its replacement.

If I keep it, and drive it 2 years, thats financially the best solution.

I dont know at this point if I am happy or not. What we will likely do, to minimize our loss is drive for 2 years and decide along the way what to do.

Its unlikely we will buy another VW, unless we are given a loyalty voucher thats good for the length of the buyback program.

right now the replacement looks like it will be a CPO 328D wagon. When is the question. I still have to see how invasive the fix is.
From what I've read, the fix for the 2015 includes a reflash and an additional NOX sensor after the SCR. Doesn't sound too invasive to me.

fredthe

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagon SEL DSG
I did buy one, and I'm very happy with that decision. As is it already pollutes less than a "fixed" Gen 2 will, and the fix looks straightforward.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
From what I've read, the fix for the 2015 includes a reflash and an additional NOX sensor after the SCR. Doesn't sound too invasive to me.

Depends on the flash, granted everything can be Maloned and be happy.

conejo_a_cuatro

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GLS Silver, 2011 JSW Manual - Bought Back. Now 328d Wagon.
I wish I had bought a 2015. I would keep it as long as I could, and apply the fix when it was ready. Bummed about the whole situation.

brokencrank

TDI
2014 Passat TDI DSG, 2015 Jetta TDI S 6M
Which sounds pretty straightforward, but will at a minimum require drilling a hole in the exhaust, welding a threaded bung for the additional sensor and adding wires to a harness that was never designed for it in the first place....still doesn't sound too complicated but consider if you will:

This work is to be done by someone who filled my trunk with DEF, which then leaked into the interior...causing 3 additional trips to the dealership and replacement of the rear seat, removal of interior trim and 2 full carpet shampoos...oh yeah, and all of the new squeaks and rattles that came with the removal/replacement of the interior!

I was looking forward to keeping my '15 Jetta and taking the 2 stage compensation / "fix". However, with the "DEF flood" experience leaving me with 100% lack of confidence in the service dept., the possible loophole in the extended warranty ( ***dealer discretion on whether future component failures are related to dieselgate "fix" or merely natural occurrence***) and service history / pending recalls on my wife's '14 Passat, we are leaning more toward the buyback side of things at the moment. If the warranty was to be 100% foolproof (ie: no questions asked on any part that is located even in close proximity to the engine or any emission component - not left to dealership discretion as outlined in the text of the extended warranty) I would keep the Jetta. The Passat will be going back to VW

*** from 3.9.2 of Appendix B of the DOJ Consent Decree:
The Extended Emissions Warranty shall cover each and every DPF that
has failed as a result of implementing an
Approved Emissions Modification. If Settling Defendants
can demonstrate to the satisfaction of EPA/CARB in a
Proposed Emissions Modification that Settling Defendants
’ dealers can adequately distinguish between a DPF
that has reached the maximum ash load and needs to be replaced as part of normal
maintenance and a DPF that has failed as a result of implementing such Approved
EmissionsModification, then the Extended Emissions Warranty applicable to such
Approved Emissions Modification does not need to cover DPFs that need replacement as part of normal maintenance

cevans

TDI
*** from 3.9.2 of Appendix B of the DOJ Consent Decree:
The Extended Emissions Warranty shall cover each and every DPF that
has failed as a result of implementing an
Approved Emissions Modification. If Settling Defendants
can demonstrate to the satisfaction of EPA/CARB in a
Proposed Emissions Modification that Settling Defendants
’ dealers can adequately distinguish between a DPF
that has reached the maximum ash load and needs to be replaced as part of normal
maintenance and a DPF that has failed as a result of implementing such Approved
EmissionsModification, then the Extended Emissions Warranty applicable to such
Approved Emissions Modification does not need to cover DPFs that need replacement as part of normal maintenance

Well thats straight forward...any translators out there?

JETTDI

TDI
2015 Jetta TDI S

I'll take the money, and keep my 2015 Jetta - which is costing me less than half of the sticker price. I was more than pleased with the initial deal, and it's been raining money ever since. If I need a tune to un-hose the "fix", no big deal.

Last edited:

skramer

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE 6MT
I'm taking the buyback....They are offering just over 28K for my setup, my OTD price was only 27142. So with the $1000 goodwill...I've basically been paid to drive the GSW getting roughly 29,510 back from VW, while paying 27142 OTD from the dealer. Not bad imo

Gonefishing

TDI
2015 Jetta TDI SE
I was looking for a good point to jump in on a thread, i thought this was a good place to ask.
i just bought a 2015 Jetta tdi se with 28k miles from Vroom ($17990 not including tax & tag) on July 1st. I won't be able to register it tell around the 15th of this month, with that being said.
From all the reading i have done in the last couple of days I believe i may qualify for the settlement, but I am not sure. I don't want the buyback tho if the numbers are correct i could effectively walk away with >$5k.
i do 90 miles a day for work and the mileage on the tdi is really to good to let go.
So my main question here is do i qualify?

thanks for any input and sorry if i hijacked thread.

jayp111

Veteran Member
TDI
n/a
I bought a 2015 with 4k miles on it after dieselgate started.

I'm eligable for the settlement but only get half of the fun money portion of the buyback/fix

I've got a dealer I have confidence in so.....

When you combine the simplicity of the fix with the extended warranty to 150k on emissions and fuel system including HPFP I'm leaning towards keeping it

But there's a LONG road ahead and if VW goes full retard and chooses not to continue with the EA288 in the US going forwards I may bail for no other reason than parts avail is going to become difficult in a short period of time

This engine has been in use in EU for at least 3 years.....when you combine the ease of the "Fix" with other factors I would be stunned if sales of new TDI's didnt resume....but we beyond the alleged registration period we have a couple years to decide what we're going to do

Last edited:

Gonefishing

TDI
2015 Jetta TDI SE
The fix and warranty extension sounds good to me, i don't know about the split.I bought from a dealer who bought off a fleet sale. I will register and wait.
Thanks for the input.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I was looking for a good point to jump in on a thread, i thought this was a good place to ask.
i just bought a 2015 Jetta tdi se with 28k miles from Vroom ($17990 not including tax & tag) on July 1st. I won't be able to register it tell around the 15th of this month, with that being said.
From all the reading i have done in the last couple of days I believe i may qualify for the settlement, but I am not sure. I don't want the buyback tho if the numbers are correct i could effectively walk away with >$5k.
i do 90 miles a day for work and the mileage on the tdi is really to good to let go.
So my main question here is do i qualify?

thanks for any input and sorry if i hijacked thread.
Don't think so. I've read elsewhere if you buy after 28 June you're not eligible for the additional compensation. The PO is eligible for half.