Politicians… go away !

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
About half of the comments were about Idle Air?? What a crock. Why should Idle Air have anything to do with this? Idle Air is an unrelated commercial enterprise.

I hope the judge adheres to the policy suggested that the settlement agreements be approved with only minor changes. Please, no more delays!! More delays hurt the consumer, and the agreement that VW has currently promotes the introduction of more electric vehicles-AND VW has to pay for it! Why oversight?

The company is headquartered in Knoxville, Tennessee. Again, what does this have to do with California or Volkswagen? Providing a mechanism for truckers to stop idling at truckstops to pollute less. Why is that VW's responsibility. VW owners don't idle at truckstops, and VW doesn't sell semi tractors in the US.

Last edited:

HBarlow

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen, 2016 Audi Q5 TDI
The things I like most about Kalifornia are the fact that I don't live there, don't have to listen to their political hacks, and don't have to pay taxes there.

I left SD in 1988.

02TDIred

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta (225K, retired), 05 JSW (334K, retired) 2012 JSW, SEL Gone, 2016 GSW/TSI/6A
… More delays hurt the consumer, and the agreement that VW has currently promotes the introduction of more electric vehicles-AND VW has to pay for it! Why oversight?
Good question ! Answer… "they" MUST justify their existence. Meddling in a fait accompli is one way.

Hint: they = politicians

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Congressional oversight will just result in Congress taking at least a third of the VW settlement and applying it to something totally unrelated. If they want to stop VW from making their own plug system, then get everyone to agree on a standard.

MrSprdSheet

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 JSW TDI
VW could light a 2bb pile of cash on fire with a spark, and claim they spent it on electrification. This is what the Congresswomen is concerned about. Allowing companies like Idle Air to receive money would be another example.

About half of the comments were about Idle Air?? What a crock. Why should Idle Air have anything to do with this? Idle Air is an unrelated commercial enterprise.
Idle Air works on alternatives to idling trucks, typically overnight at rest stops. It has nothing to do with charging, but they do re mediate environmental consequences. I have no idea if they've approached VW, but it makes sense to me that they might conclude VW would want the least impact from that money being spent, and be looking for an American partner whose use would preserve gas car sales.

Does VW want to thwart actual demand for electrification? This latest story proves it, yet again.
http://fortune.com/2016/10/06/volkswagen-electric-van-2/

Mueller says they never called. Autoblog says they did. Somebody is lying.

http://www.autoblog.com/2016/10/10/vw-angry-dhl-make-own-electric-delivery-van/
"DHL says its requests for vehicle makers to produce electric delivery vans were rejected, hence its decision to go it alone. "

The landscape will be much different, in 2030, thanks to the politicians.

Last edited:

JDenyer232

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI S
I smell some crony capitalism between California politicians and Idle Air. Who really cares what companies VW invests it's sin money in, as long as it meets the goal of reducing emissions. It's things like this that could delay buybacks and fixes for a long time. I think we have waited long enough, lets just get it over with already.

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
Who the heck wants electric cars with their current limitations ?

I'm never going to be interested until
#1 - 300+ mile range (600 + would be better) between charges
#2 - 100% recharge in 10 minutes
#3 - the infrastructure is there to make them as convienent as petro powered cars.

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey

#3 - the infrastructure is there to make them as convienent as petro powered cars.
You and I will be long gone when that happens... The only to get 10 min full charges is quick change battery packs... where you pull into a drive through battery change station. The robot drops your battery cell and installs a new one... which you lease.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)

Taken in order:

#1 - With the current incremental increase in chemical battery efficiency (power /weight ratio, basically), this might be achievable, but how long it will take is very hard to say.

#2 - Only way this is happening is how "gmcjetpilot" tells it: quick-swap battery packs, and—

#3 - With all the infrastructure implied in #2 plus anything else required. Rome wasn't built in a day, and the infrastructure we have today to fuel and service our ICE vehicles wasn't, either.

MrSprdSheet

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 JSW TDI
#1 - The tech is there. Just has to get cheaper, which it will. Tesla's snottiest pig beats 300, and has the motors to eat 4kwh per mile (if tracked).

#2 - "100%/10min" -not any time soon, but like adding a partial tank in a hurry, a partial charge will add 100 miles in ~15 minutes, enabling a ~400 mile trip, soon enough.

#3 - There are more outlets, than there ever were gas stations. Pumping gas locally seems real inconvenient, to somebody charging at home. This one revolves around how often you drive long distance, and/or whether a look at places like www.plugshare.com leads you to say "not enough".

WRT the OP, I'd love it if Porsche were both serious about the Mission E, and spent the money on an 800V charging network. Call it hearsay, but my unerstanding is Tesla spent ~250 million to bring its supercharger network through 2014/15. That really isn't much, relative to 2 billion. Some are speculating 150kw, which at 800v would cross ~100 miles of charge in under 20 minutes. Porsche/VW could optimize them for 800v, and forse all other non-800v cars to step down to the typical 400V DC fast charge rates (that's everyone else, at this point who even offers DCFC). That would double their charge times, and make people wish they had 800V capable ~VW's ;) . The fine line is between playing games which optimize for VW, and whether spending 2bb on the environment is really "promoting electric EV infrastructure", or whatever some are arguing isn't specific enough.

Last edited:

CT_Gman

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Jetta Sport, 2011 Golf TDI 6MT 2 door - GONE, 2013 Passat DSG SE w/sunroof - GONE
The things I like most about Kalifornia are the fact that I don't live there, don't have to listen to their political hacks, and don't have to pay taxes there.
California; a great place to visit... It is amazing how different the neighboring state of Arizona is.

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
...current limitations sounds like a double entendre (don't ya think?)...........

ez