Polar FIS+

Grigg3

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta wagon, 15 Golf wagon
I've updated mine a few times in the past several weeks, they're still making improvements.
The "audio not available" issue seems resolved, so it always works now. Also works again after I had Phase 2 done at the dealer.
Still some text size and or alignment to improve, but they have been making changes to this over the different revisions and are still asking for and responding to feedback.

Below are all the parameters I see as options with the current update 0.2.1b2 as of 9/13/18

Some I don't know exactly what they stand for or how they're useful, or I know what they are more or less but where are they measured?

I've setup the first 40 (max) 4 each on 10 different screens and will look at those for a while, then try the remainder. Eventually when they get all the bugs worked out I'll probably only use a couple screens of the most useful stuff. You can change the number of screens shown.

Polar MQB version 0.2.1b2 as of 9/13/18
mph
RPM
Oil °F
Amb. °F
Intake °F
Coolant °F
Motor °F
Radiat. °F
Fuel °F
!Boost PSI
Boost PSI
Atm. PSI
Fuel PSI
Brake PSI
!Load %
M.A.F.
Pedal
Valve
Torque. FT-lb
Power HP
Oil Level
Lambda
Inj. m/str
St. °BTDC
Dur. °KW
St. q. m/str
D.1 m/str
D.2 m/str
D.3 m/str
D.4 m/str
D.5 m/str
D.6 m/str
EGRm/str
!Control %
Control %
DPF L.
DPF Mi.
AdB used
!DPF g.
DPF ST.
DPF PSI
Soot m gr.
!Soot m gr.
EGT S1 °F
EGT S2 °F
EGT S3 °F
EGT S4 °F
Gen. Load
Alt. power...
HVAC nm
Long. G

STOKTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf MK7 TDI
Do you get any reading for intake temp?? One of the only parameters that tells me "N/A"

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE, new 4 Sept 2017;2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen (Ruby) sold to VW on 22 SEP 2017
Grigg, thanks for this info. I'm most interested in EGT. When you have a chance to observe it working both normally and in a regen phase, I'd like to know your observations. Four sensors for that is impressive.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Glad to know they are still working on their beta testing, fingers crossed.

Grigg3

Veteran Member
TDI
The whole list below again, corrected small errors like capitalization.

I've loaded and viewed all the parameters, most while driving, some only while parked and idling.
Preliminary results:

The following show N/A I assume not available in my particular model car a 2015 GSW S TDI Manual:
Intake °F
Boost PSI ( "!Boost PSI" does show values)
D.2 m/str
D.5 m/str (others in this series do show values, not sure what this is anyhow)

These show values I don't understand and I'm not sure if they're right:
Brake PSI so far only shows "0.0" or "-0.0"
DPF L. shows "0.00"
DPF st. shows "0000" Not sure what this is​

These might be right, but I'm still confused, example values while parked/idling:
Soot m gr. -1.2
!Soot m gr. 10.0
"!" means its a calculated value, but what's the calculation in this case?​

Example EGT values parked, idling, and AC on. This looks good, what I've been waiting for!
Locations provided by adjat84th from post above.
EGT S1 °F 320 (pre-turbo)
EGT S2 °F 288 (pre-DPF)
EGT S3 °F 260 (post-DPF)
EGT S4 °F 224 (LP EGR)

Polar MQB version 0.2.1b2 as of 9/13/18
mph
RPM
Oil °F
Amb. °F
Intake °F
Coolant °F
Motor °F
Radiat. °F
Fuel °F
!Boost PSI
Boost PSI
Atm. PSI
Fuel PSI
Brake PSI
!Load %
M.A.F.
Pedal
Valve
Torque. FT-lb
Power HP
Oil Level
Lambda
Inj. m/str
St. °BTDC
Dur. °KW
St. q. m/str
D.1 m/str
D.2 m/str
D.3 m/str
D.4 m/str
D.5 m/str
D.6 m/str
EGRm/str
!Control %
Control %
DPF L.
DPF Mi.
AdB used
!DPF g.
DPF st.
DPF PSI
Soot m gr.
!Soot m gr.
EGT S1 °F
EGT S2 °F
EGT S3 °F
EGT S4 °F
Gen. Load
Alt. power...
HVAC nm
Long. G​

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
EGT S3 °F 260 (post-DPF)

This one should be one to stay pegged around 1100-1400 when doing a regen. From monitoring values with torque it's also the one that changes the slowest, where the others float around with almost direct correlation with throttle input (well except #4, i've never monitored that one).

Scott02

Veteran Member
TDI
Too Many
DPF st. shows "0000" Not sure what this is​
These might be right, but I'm still confused, example values while parked/idling:
Soot m gr. -1.2
!Soot m gr. 10.0
"!" means its a calculated value, but what's the calculation in this case?​

IIRC from my 2011 with PolarFIS, "DPF st." is DPF Stage, which is a number like 0001 or 0004, and these show when a certain regen operation is happening. Best to watch this on a long drive to see when it changes from 0000.

"!Soot m gr." could be a calculated value becasue it's a level of soot that is calculated from values of different pressure sensors? Just a thought. My "Soot m gr." is always a negative value, IIRC mine is -1.6. I also do not know what this means or if it's completely wrong/etc.

Scott02

Veteran Member
TDI
Too Many
Just updated mine. I do not get the four EGT values, I get "DSG ft-lb" instead in the list last posted above. I'm a dsg car. Is yours a manual?

Why is the text even more screwed up size wise than what it was screwed up before? now the third line down if HUGE top two appear normalish, and bottom row is tiny.

The third HUGE row, it doesn't display what the value is, it just says the value. Like "80degF", but you don't know if that is coolant temp or, outside temp, or?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
this beta testing is going great!!!!

Grigg3

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes, mine is a manual.
I haven't updated mine yet but did receive an email a couple days ago about the latest version, some of that news cut and pasted below.
For reference they say my cluster is the "COLOR" version, and it works best with that update but I would have guessed it was white...

Upgraded with the final v021 with more improvements. ... final version (not beta).

The problem with the old visualization method is that was possible align very good 1st and 2nd line, but 3rd and 4th was a nightmare so we moved to this one that align all centered.

PF04/PF05 Firmware Update v0.2.1
Added support for TORQUE and POWER CV in ECU EV_ECM18TFS0218V0906264x
Added support for new ECU EV_ECM16TDI02103L906023TF 003004
Added support for new ECU EV_ECM20TFS0208V0906259J 001003
Fixed issue that make that Virtual Cockpit screens get freezed sometimes
Fixed issue with menu access in some PF05 devices
Improved alignment of parameters in normal clusters and Virtual Cockpit clusters
New USB method for upgrade all PolarFIS devices (in beta mode, for testing)
New UpdaterTool released supporting new flashing method (v1.7.0)
Fixed issue with mirrors not working properly in some vehicles reported by users
Some other general improvements

New Virtual Cockpit firmwares added in support area (for UpdaterTool)
From now, there will be 2 differenced firmwares for the PolarFIS MQB devices.

Firmwares MQB FIS
This firmware version is for MQB vehicles equipped with WHITE and COLOR clusters (display)
It will make visible 4 lines of parameters
Firmware MQB VC
This firmware version is for MQB vehicles equipped with VIRTUAL COCKPIT display
It will make visible 3 lines of parameters

New USB connection method
We improved the connection via USB method, for upgrade the units, so now is not needed any confirmation in the UPDATE menu of PolarFIS. This will make that update process will be more easy, and user will be asked in the screen of the UpdaterTool for change from NORMAL MODE to FLASHING MODE.

This only will work with this new firmware and future firmwares, and with the last version of UpdaterTool, so we recomend all to download our last version v1.7.0 (already available in our website). Upgrade your PolarFIS device is very fast and easy. Just download the Updater Online software, CONNECT your unit and press UPDATE. You will be able to select your firmware desired and make click on it. Flashing procedure will take only few seconds.

Updater Online (v1.7.0): https://www.autopolar.net/downloads/Updater_Online.zip

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
They may have meant that you don't have virtual cock pit.

if they fix kerning, I may think of it for our Alltrack, sadly there is so few sensors on the TSI that I wouldn't really use much of it, (no EGT sensors at all :()

Scott02

Veteran Member
TDI
Too Many
Just clicked on the version 1.7.0 updater link above and it already takes me to version 1.8.1 of the updater.

Last edited:

Scott02

Veteran Member
TDI
Too Many
Updated it fine multiple times without removing it from the car... now it will not connect to the car, nor can I connect to it with the updater.

Previous to these problems, I still do not have EGT nor DPF temps, which is the entire reason I purchased. Still no IAT. Still no side G's. It's out of "beta" and still can't tell me things that my PF03 told me in my mk6 wagon?

Trying to stay positive and professional, but frustration is setting in.

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Hopefully the vendor you bought from can stand behind the product they are selling.

Scott02

Veteran Member
TDI
Too Many
Drive to work this morning... I notice that my radio now does not control from the steering wheel controls, and I had to turn it on manually with the power button. I later notice that it does not know that the ignition is on, so it acts like you're sitting in a parking lot with the ignition off. No settings can be changed on the radio, as it tells you to turn on the ignition. The time on the radio is completely different than what is shown on the MFA. The radio turned itself off after approx 30min of driving.

...Hopefully getting home and unplugging this box lets my car go back to normal.

Scott02

Veteran Member
TDI
Too Many
Hopefully the vendor you bought from can stand behind the product they are selling.
I'm guessing (hoping) they will. I don't doubt it will eventually get there.

It just super frustrating knowing that I spent all of 5min updating and installing the PF03 into my mk6 wagon, and was very happy with the purchase.

This is two models newer than the now discontinued PF03. There are just so many hokey things with this MQB version.

Last edited:

Scott02

Veteran Member
TDI
Too Many
Had to completely remove module from the car to get it to connect to my laptop. With the module unplugged from the car, my radio/etc all went back to normal. Updated the module again (just cause I had it out). Plugged it back into the car and left the usb cable plugged in as I did in the past. Buttoned everything back up. Seems the module is back to working, but I cannot connect to it while it's plugged into the car.

EDIT: I was wrong. With the module in the car and the usb cable plugged in, the mfa says audio not available. Tomorrow I’ll pull the cable out and see if that temporarily fixes my issues. It worked fine for a handful of days, now nothing but acting up again.

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I thought Polar stated you needed to pull a fuse/disconnect the battery in order to connect to a laptop (IE the canbus is still live while your trying to talk to it and gets all confused). Or are you saying that even with the USB cable just plugged in (not connected to anything) the "audio not available" still displays?

From Post 48

"Method 1)
Disconnect the battery of your vehicle.
After this, connect PolarFIS via USB to your computer.
Method 2)
Extract fuse F12 or F24 (5A value) from your vehicle.
After this, connect PolarFIS via USB to your computer.
Note : For know correct fuse check values for see 5A (this is the correct one).
Method 3)
Connect PolarFIS via USB to your computer.
Navigate into PolarFIS and search option called “UPDATE”.
When appears a message for connect, press OK button in your steering wheel.
Now unit will allow you to connect and upgrade it."

Scott02

Veteran Member
TDI
Too Many
The email from polar that is copied into Post 73 describes the new way to update that is less complicated (though apparently also has many bugs). When I was able to update with everything connected, it did work as described in Post 73.

When doing previous updates, I've never disconnected the battery and never pulled a fuse.
Method 3 above is how I've updated previously.

Last edited:

Scott02

Veteran Member
TDI
Too Many
I thought Polar stated you needed to pull a fuse/disconnect the battery in order to connect to a laptop (IE the canbus is still live while your trying to talk to it and gets all confused). Or are you saying that even with the USB cable just plugged in (not connected to anything) the "audio not available" still displays?
Right now everything is updated to latest (when it was removed from the car). Right now with everything plugged into the car AND the USB cable just plugged into the PolarFIS, no laptop connected, I get "audio not avail" on MFA.

Does everyone else leave the cable plugged in? I want to say that I say that others say they leave the USB cable plugged into the PolarFIS with no issues. Can someone please confirm? Thanks.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
kinda surprised, that just leaving the cable plugged in would cause issues mentioned as all its doing is extending the leads of the USB port, maybe their cable is slightly different than others or has a short in the shielding of some sort, maybe try a different cable?

Grigg3

Veteran Member
TDI
Scott02,
I leave the USB cable plugged in and tucked under the dash.
Early on I had trouble updating, then with the unit working at all, disconnecting the battery resolved that. I have not removed or unplugged it after initial install.
More recently I've updated with the ignition on, car not running, and choose the update option on the Polar dash menu, this has worked great.
I have not updated with the newest few versions, the ones that are giving you troubles, and with the new updating tool.

740GLE,
Do you have the MQB Polar FIS?

TDI
2015 Golf SportWagen TDI
Trying to follow along since I am very interested in the concept of the Polar FIS.
Are you all happy with the current state of updates, or should I still wait to see that things get sorted?

I'm mostly interested in Regen status since it's my wife's daily, and also torque,hp,boost, ect for when I drive it :)

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
d with the new updating tool.

740GLE,
Do you have the MQB Polar FIS?

Not yet, its on the list of "wish items" but its nice to read through the betta testing.

My only hope is that polar is having such a difficulty with the NA MQB '15 TDI because they seem to be unique beast (similar to '15 Passat TDI). Hopefully our Alltrack would be more plug and play as the EA888 gen3 1.8t seems to be a more world wide platform.

Scott02

Veteran Member
TDI
Too Many
Weird random occurrence causing PolarFIS to work better now.

Went on a work trip, car was parked in a hotel parking garage for 3 days. Came back to a completely dead battery. After a jump, PolarFIS has worked fine ever since. No "audio not available". USB cable still plugged in.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'd be more curious if the FIS+ caused the battery to go flat.