PNWesterners Driving To The 2005 TDIFest - UPDATED

DIESELprogrammer

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS, 2003, Silver/Gray
Yesterday August 10th, I finally got my vacation approved. I put in for it last winter, however the company was sold in April. The new management thought they might like to hold a training session during my vacation and held off approving me until that matter was decided on.

Above is a pic of our wall map showing the planned route for the 15-16 day trip. We will be leaving our home 35 miles north of Spokane, Washington on the morning of August 27, taking HWY 2 northeast. I am hoping to make a quick stop to see an old friend in Kalispell, Montana and then go on to spend our first night, at Glacier National Park.

Depending on what we decide to do there, we will depart either Monday or Tuesday morning heading east on HWY 2 toward Wolf Point, Montana. There I will decide whether to head south to I-94 or continue across North Dakota on HWY 2. I have never done a HWY 2 crossing of the Mid-West. However, time and road quality will be important factors on where and when I drop down to I-94. We could even end up all the way to Duluth, Minnesota to catch a glimpse of Lake Superior or perhaps Ironwood, Michigan to add another State to the black board.

Part of the purpose of this trip is to provide a geography lesson for my daughter and later, bragging rights that she has been to a particular state. She is home schooled and I have gathered information packets for each state that we are going to travel in. As we pass from state to state she is going to get a packet on that state and have a few school lessons to do while traveling. We are planning on getting to Lake Mills, Wisconsin Friday afternoon in time for a welcome shower and swim before the nights festivities.

We will be leaving Lake Mills on Labor Day morning. On the return trip I am considering taking HWY 18 west out of Madison, Wisconsin in order to catch the NE corner of Iowa before heading north to get on I-90 west. The other option to catch Iowa is to drop down for a stretch while crossing Southern Minnesota. Then from I-90 west as we pass through South Dakota we will be stopping at Mt. Rushmore.

Time of day will dictate whether we camp nearby or continue on towards Yellowstone National Park. I plan to keep up a brisk pace from Lake Mills until we reach Yellowstone so that we can enjoy more time there before our final run for home. Outside of Sheridan, Wyoming we will break from I-90 and head west on HWY10/14 to Yellowstone. Depending on when we get there and what we want to do, we will leave Yellowstone either Friday the 9th in time to put us camping the night near Lookout Pass, Montana or the morning of Saturday the 10th with a bee line for home.

If we are at Lookout Pass Saturday morning we will do the Hiawatha Trail bike run before heading out for home later that day. Hoping to be home for Saturday night the 10th to allow for recovery time on Sunday. We don’t have to be back until Sunday evening though.

I know that our schedule doesn’t lend itself to doing much caravanning with fellow TDIers. However, if anyone is interested in joining us for any portion of the journey east and/or West shoot me a PM to discuss.

Please feel free to use this thread as a way to link up with any PNWesterners headed to the fest.

bluenb1

Veteran Member
TDI
New Beetle, 98, Blue
PNWesterners Driving To The 2005 TDIFest

Don,
Sounds like a great idea. You've got some good stops picked out and I'm always a believer in taking your time and seeing the sited of this great country!

Perhaps we need say 3-4 more caravans? One from the North East, South East, South and one or two from up NORT DER EH?
Perhaps take a look at how they set up the "Roswell" caravans?
Anyone else interested in setting up something like this?
If so, start a new thread and for the title put down something like New England Caravan to FEST or something that makes it obvious where the caravan is leaving from. Perhaps map out an overnight stop or two or get a discussion together? Have fun and see all of you there! Later, Jeff

bluenb1

Veteran Member
TDI
New Beetle, 98, Blue

Rammstein, we got your registration and payment. Thanks. Say, you might want to check it out but I believe there IS someone looking to set up a caravan from the northeast? The Boston area I believe? If you're interested, you might want to check out the 2005TDIFest forum or start a new thread for the Easterners? We'll see you there! Looking forward to meeting a bunch of fellow TDI'ers. Later, Jeff

Rammstein

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 92 D

I don't know, but Montreal and Boston aren't that close to each other...

I plan on taking the 401, then the 403 (I think) and go through the border at Sarnia.

Then take the 94 and 90.

1569.7 km total.

I'll start a new thread.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself

I'm sticking my neck out here, but I'll throw this out anyway. If anyone on this site is into Geocaching this would be a great time to get Travel bugs moving cross country.

I have one in my possesion right now, but I know that this is a long way away. PM me if you want details.

bluenb1

Veteran Member
TDI
New Beetle, 98, Blue
Re: Westerners Driving To The 2005 TDIFest

Anyone interested in posting routes and perhaps meeting places? If coming from the WEST, post em' here.

VW Derf

Administrator
Staff member
TDI
2010 Blue Graphite Pearl Golf Variant

Not 100% sure if I'm driving or flying yet, but if I'm driving I'm coming from the west coast starting August 30. Back would be direct or over LA.

VW Derf

Administrator
Staff member
TDI

Any items to watch out for coming east on the I90? I'm guessing it shoudl be pretty smooth sailing???

eschady

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GL Black w/gray int.

There is nothing I can think of from the MN state line through WI.

E

vikingrob

Veteran Member
TDI
2021 Tesla Model 3 (delivery estimate May 2021)

Per WisDOT's 2005 construction plans, they plan to repave about a 12-mile stretch between Portage and Madison, with at least two lanes open in each direction between 5am and 10pm.

The normal practice with holiday weekends is to reduce lane closures to the absolute minimum necessary.

Minnesota has bridge painting work on I-90 between Albert Lea and Austin.

vikingrob

Veteran Member
TDI
2021 Tesla Model 3 (delivery estimate May 2021)
There is a travel information center in Iowa on I-35 at the first exit after crossing from Minnesota, but you may want to be aware that the southbound lanes are in the process of being rebuilt from I-90 to the state line. I don't know if there is a travel information center on the Iowa side of the Prairie du Chien bridge.

VW Derf

Administrator
Staff member
TDI
OK, what are the chances that when one takes a 3,400km trip to TDIFest, that I pull into the same Arbys in Billings, Montana that DiselProgrammer is parking in? It sure is a small world.....

bluenb1

Veteran Member
TDI
New Beetle, 98, Blue
Looks like a GREAT route DP. Have you considered hitting "Devil's Tower" in Wyoming? You're going right past that area. Pretty interesting. You might want to do "Crazy Horse" monument also since you're doing Mt. Rushmore. Again, same area and will probably be something he can watch and keep track of it's progress over her lifetime? Just some suggestions. We'll see you at the Fest! Cheers, Jeff