Plugging vacuum lines after DG Race Pipe install

Deception

Veteran Member
I will be installing a DG Race Pipe soon, but before I get my hands dirty, what did you use to plug the two vacuum lines after removing the EGR valve? Some have used screws, but that seems a little too "DIY mechanic" to me.

Are there vacuum line caps that can be bought at auto parts stores?

Golf tees?

Thanks in advance!

03_01_TDI

Banned
TDI
Na
Yes you can buy caps at a store.

Or you can just remove the lines, solenoid, and vacuum resoviour. which is what I have done. clean and simple.

Deception

Veteran Member
Me too.

On a side note, I dropped by Canadian Tire tonight and I couldn't find any plugs/caps in the auto department for plugging the vacuum lines. I'll try a more dedicated store like Lordco or Napa tomorrow. Even the "Help!" brand didn't have any plugs.

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
In my neck of the woods, they are usually located amongst the bubble packaged goodies on the 'miscellaneous hardware' tree. Another place to look is where the 'Tees' and assorted brake replacement parts are (grommets, etc.). They're pretty common, keep looking...

03_01_TDI

Banned
TDI
Na
I hope he means the diaphragm housing...

nope I have removed the vacuum resoviour... the big black bubble
. if you trace the lines and follow the flow path -- once the EGR valve has been removed there is no need for a vacuum storage. The one way check valve prevents the vacuum resivour from working on anything.

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
Ummm... car dies at freeway speed, you need brakes to avoid rear ending semi...

03_01_TDI

Banned
TDI
Na
well if I am reading the manual correctly. 26-22

item number 7 is open under vacuum pump operation. The valve then closes once the engine is not running. Thus vacuum from the reservoir can not return back to the pump or the brake booster. ???

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
Hey, I could be wrong but having traced the vacuum piping, though convoluted, the stored vacuum appears to be available at the back side of the one way check valve even when the car's off...

Deception

Veteran Member
Just picked up some vacuum caps of various sizes from the auto parts store tonight.

I think I'm going to remove the vacuum line and insert the plug directly on the N18 valve to block off vacuum to the (non-existent) EGR, and insert a plug onto the anti-shudder valve solenoid nipple. That way I don't have any loose dangling and useless vacuum lines in the engine bay.