Please post if you get a new Passat TDI 6 sp

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
very nice, want to trade it for a slightly used 2010 with 45k on the clock?

wolfsburg_de

Ross-Tech AssociateVendor , w/Business number
TDI
2012 Passat TDI 6MT
very nice, want to trade it for a slightly used 2010 with 45k on the clock?
You get points for having a 6MT but no dice. ;)

If you guys want me to photograph anything, just let me know. I'll post up a list of VCDS tweaks once they are confirmed.

cek1

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL
How does the clutch feel? I know our 2006 it only engaged at the very last bit of travel. Which made for some awkward starts after coming out of my 2001.

Have you been on any 4 lane roads for a length of time? I was wondering what the MPG readout is at 70mph. Figure knock a few off of that and you get close to a real reading.

wolfsburg_de

TDI
2012 Passat TDI 6MT
How does the clutch feel? I know our 2006 it only engaged at the very last bit of travel. Which made for some awkward starts after coming out of my 2001.

Have you been on any 4 lane roads for a length of time? I was wondering what the MPG readout is at 70mph. Figure knock a few off of that and you get close to a real reading.
The clutch feels good, very linear. My '03 MINI Cooper S is like an ON/OFF switch is in comparison. The hill hold is a little odd but seems to be handy once I learned to anticipate it preventing the car from rolling back on stops on hills. I did some travel on the PA turnpike over the weekend and it looks like low to mid 50's at 70mph with cruise on.

pleopard

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
Thank you very much for the photos. Can you take a couple shots of the HPFP? Id like to know if it's the same series pump as the CLEA and CJAA.

wolfsburg_de

TDI
2012 Passat TDI 6MT
Thank you very much for the photos. Can you take a couple shots of the HPFP? Id like to know if it's the same series pump as the CLEA and CJAA.
You asked for it. Here's a bunch of pics of my (presumably leaky ?!?!) fuel lines, plus my pump compared to my coworker's '09 Jetta TDI:

pleopard

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
Wow... You went over and above my expectations. :) Well, besides the pump on the '09 CBEA having 4 drilled dots and the '12 CKRA having 8 dots, I don't see any differences between the two HPFPs externally. Obviously the plumbing has changed dramatically... I'm curious what others have to say.

Is it an optical illusion, or is your coolant expansion tank showing a very high level?

k.mojo

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE Manual
I won the Hankook lottery. :rolleyes: Oh well, they seem to ride decently enough and are reasonably grippy. I do notice lots of tire noise on grooved pavement but not much at all on smoother roads. I'm planning to test fit my colleague's 16" wheels from his '09 Jetta to make sure they clear the brakes, then procure a set of 16"s with snows for winter.

BTW, for anyone looking for a 6MT TDI, looks like this dealer has one on the lot:

http://www.flowmotorsgreensboro.com/CarDetails.aspx?CarId=280523

Found through cars.com search as I explained above.
The bugger of this listing is that it is the exact car I ordered (down to the floor mats and trunk liner) Aug. 6th. Shows up as dealer stock 50 miles from the dealer I used. ***?? Got on the horn to my salesman, and he says he does not have any tdi's to offer them as a swap....

Not REALLY upset, as mine is still in the works, but still frustrated. Why wouldn't this car have been directed to fill my order??? Or was it my car to begin with.........

wolfsburg_de

TDI
2012 Passat TDI 6MT
Do these cars have hill assist braking?
To keep you from rolling backward as you let out the clutch to get moving on a hill? Yep, it has that. I thought I would hate it since I've always driven manuals but it's actually kinda handy.

gergg

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI 6M
To keep you from rolling backward as you let out the clutch to get moving on a hill? Yep, it has that. I thought I would hate it since I've always driven manuals but it's actually kinda handy.
Cool, my wife would be happier with this feature.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
some have suspected this to cause premature wear and drag on the rear brakes. Might be worth while to check the tension of the ebrake cable and temps of the rear wheels after a decent highway burn.

Also have you tried to "uncode" it with your VCDS guru powers?

MyAvocation

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Passat SEL TSI
Do these Passats come with on-wheel TPMS sensors? If so, you can monitor individual wheel temp using VCDS. Have fun figuring-out which sensor goes to which wheel, though.

wolfsburg_de

TDI
2012 Passat TDI 6MT
Do these Passats come with on-wheel TPMS sensors? If so, you can monitor individual wheel temp using VCDS. Have fun figuring-out which sensor goes to which wheel, though.
No TPMS sensors in the Passat since it uses ABS based TPMS. I haven't tried tweaking any hill assist settings but I don't see how it would contribute to significant extra wear.

Daily Diesel

TDI
2012 Passat TDI MT-6spd
Got mine 10/13

On 10/13 I received my White on Black Passat 6MT. Special thanks to Bill Kurz at North Penn VW for sourcing me a vehicle and pulling it through the system just the way I wanted it. Car had one issue that VW is currently working on.....when the tank is topped off the fuel gauge dosen't go to full (see pic below). I was told that it will be corrected at my 10K free service.

The vehicle arrived just in time for a road trip to Montauk, NY (466mile round trip). Trip included various traffic and weather conditions for me to really get to know the car.

I purchased to the Passat for three reasons. 1) TDI Performance/Economy 2) Size for my growing young family 3) 6 spd MT

The trip to Montauk confirmed that I made the right choice. Vehicle was loaded with boat cooler, fishing poles, luggage, and my co-pilot Evans. Had to knock down the seats to fits the rods and boat cooler. Ride was very comfortable. The drive was a ton of fun.... I had many straight aways, off-ramps, and passing opportunities to work through the gears (up and down) and to exceed the speed limit. Averaged 44.8 MPGs -see pic- (70% highway, 20 % city, 10% bumper to bumper traffic).

Cockpit was very comfortable, no blind spots. Road noise was better than expected.... Gear throw was just right....Although I need to get used to 6th gear.....I slipped it into 4th instead of 6th a few times. Hill Roll control threw me off once. That will take some getting used to. I had plenty of passing power and acceleration. Vehicle handled fine in the heavy rain that we encountered.

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Audi TDI Prestige Sport
some have suspected this to cause premature wear and drag on the rear brakes. Might be worth while to check the tension of the ebrake cable and temps of the rear wheels after a decent highway burn.

Also have you tried to "uncode" it with your VCDS guru powers?
Premature wear? There are reports of people getting 100K miles without having to replace pads. I am at 65K on one and 70K on the other and there is still lots of pad left.

Compared to 28K replacement for GM cars I do not see any issue. :)

wolfsburg_de

TDI
2012 Passat TDI 6MT
Congrats, Daily Diesel. I actually tried to buy your car from North Penn but a salesman told me it had been sold the day before I called. I ordered a platinum gray 6mt from North Penn on August 5th and gave them the opportunity to try to get the glacier blue one on a trade but for whatever reason, were unable to do so. Anyway, nice to see another 6mt and looks like you are getting great mpg so far.

Daily Diesel

TDI
2012 Passat TDI MT-6spd
Thanks Wolfburg....when I was reading one of your earlier posts... I thought that may have been the case. Below is a photo of what the car can do in 6th gear a little under 2,800 rpms.

abctdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Passat GLS
Theoretical top speed of 160+ mph!
Maybe someone, on a track of course, will show us actual top speed.
Or is it limited?