PLEASE PLEASE HELP. P0299

s.janks

TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
I am stuck. And have been for months now. P0299 and limp mode. I have installed several performance mods. All of which about 20k ago. Pd 140 turbo, colt cam stage 3, Malone stage 4 tune, deleted egr and cat, timing belt water pump kit. All done at the same time. Very very happy with the way it ran. And 50 mpg. Couldn't be happier. Then! Ran into a problem with limp mode. I thought I had a boost leak. But found a vacuum leak with the brake booster. Replaced and resumed performance about 80%. Kinda thought maybe I was going crazy. I knew it ran better, but dismissed it as I'm getting old and just not as sharp as I used to be. But looking back. It definitely was on 80%. When u would roll the throttle, u could feel the torque in the floor. That seemed to diminish. By that, I mean the power seemed to come on at a bit higher RPM than before. Still. A good feeling power curve. But I'm driving home and stop for fuel. Left it running while fueling. It was freaken cold. Soon as I took off from the fuel station, it went into limp mode. So I pulled over and cycled the key. After the cycle it took off just like it should. So at this point I'm think just a random anomaly. But of course that really shouldn't happen. Drove for another 60miles. Then it happen again. Pulled over again, cycled key, and all good. Drove another 40miles. Happen again. This time after 2 attempts to accelerate, goes into limp mode. And has been that way since.
So the things I have checked.
Turbo has no play. Spins freely. And I have no white smoke.
Vacuum is 27", and holds at revisor. Same with wastegate, booster and vacuum lines.
The MAF was jumpy. So I replaced.
Replaced MAP sensor.
So I looked into the N75. Ran the test via Ross Tech. Cycles just like it should. Measured resistance across terminals. And was out of range. So i replaced. Measured the new one, and it was more out of range than the original. However I went ahead and installed. Still no change.
So I thought maybe a boost leak. Smoked the charge system. No leaks. So then I went to maybe a fuel pressure problem. Lift pump number kinda suck. Only about 5psi. But tandem has a good 110psi at idle. And goes up considerably with rpm fluctuations.
Changed fuel filter. Along with a can of diesel purge. No change. Pulled air filter and drove with DTC's cleared. No change.
I pulled lift pump out of tank. Someone here suggested that maybe the black sludge that builds up could be a problem. Cleaned all of that. Still no change. The car has no problem with starting, idling. I also removed the intake when I installed the new performance parts and cleaned. And since the egr was deleted. I hardly think its closed up in 20k. So I thought maybe torsion value maybe off. 2+. Almost perfect. So I thought maybe a corupt tune. Download a new tune and installed. Still no change. Guys I'm at my wits end. I'm out of ideas and out if money. *** do ido?

Rx7145

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta BRM
When it goes into limp what’s the code?
Have you looked at requested vs actual boost?

Rx7145

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta BRM
So on the PD 140 turbo, you got rid of the smart actuator and just have a vacuum actuator now? The vacuum actuator rod move full travel as in the veins in the turbo are not sticking?

s.janks

TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
sorry. Got that backwards. Requested is always higher than actual.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
Have you seen Canadian Grizzlies's "Low Power" troubleshooting step-by-step?

Linked in my sig, sounds like you've covered off on some of it but there may be other parts that will help.

Rx7145

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta BRM
Something you could try would be to physically wire the turbo in full boost position and go for a drive and see if you get an over boost that would isolate the problem to the turbo control system.

s.janks

TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
I'm a little scared to do that. From what I read, the boost systems on these cars are not very robust. I don't want to cause another problem, while trying to figure this one out. However. I did think of doing that.

Is it a possibility that I have a fuel problem? I have seen some post on here that say the tandem pump really only needs the lift pump for priming. After that the lift pump doesn't even need to run. However. I also have a dodge cummins. Now I know the fuel systems aren't the same. But if the lift pump on the truck fails, it completely ruins the injection pump. And really runs bad just before the carnage of the injection pump. So in short. Could a lack of fuel to the tandem pump starve the motor of fuel and thus create a low boost condition??? IDK. I'm getting pretty burnt out on this thing right now.

Rx7145

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta BRM
I assume that you’ve tested the in tank pump?
Are the fuel lines hooked up correctly? I bought a car with switched fuel lines and it would randomly stall, and not restart. Something to check.

s.janks

TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Yes I have checked. I have about 5psi at idle. But it quickly goes to zero with any RPM,s.

paratreg

TDI
2014 v6
I got the same code when hooked to VCDS after random limp mode occurs on a stock 2014 Touareg with 184k miles; I'll be following this closely to see what the outcome is. New turbo is $1000+...can't understand why mostly highway driving would kill a turbo. Weird and frustrating