Please help me choose roof racks...

Max-4

TDI
2011 VW Golf Wagon TDI
I have a 2011 VW Golf/Jetta Sportwagon TDI and I am looking for some racks and cross bars for. I have a local dealer that carries Yakima and Thule so I am wondering if one of those is better for my needs.

I want to be able to carry a canoe on top of my car with a max width of 40". I also want to be able to put a storage box up there for bags and gear when going to the cottage.

What do you guys think is the best setup out there for what I want? Thanks

Obscene

TDI
2012 Golf
I'm partial to the VW ones. I think they have the cleanest mounting. Mine make an awful lot of wind noise though, but I'm not sure the others would be any better.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
I can measure the width on mine later, but the bottom line is that you can get rails as long as you want. (might poke yourself in the eye getting in the car, so just have to watch for that.)

on my old Chevy, I got some longer rails and put the canoe beside a thule Box my wife had when I met her. (fit lots of beach stuff in there, assorted boogie boards, chairs, sand toys, and umbrellas.)

LOUDERMAN

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 2dr Golf TDI, 6MT
I have Yakima Whispbars and I haul around my 14.5 foot Old Town around all the time. Admittedly the rear bar is only 33in between the towers, but my canoe rests on them well enough. I initially had some concerns over their strength, but after owning them for 2 years that concern seems petty in retrospect. They're solid and hardly make a sound when I don't have the bike racks or canoe up there.

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
I have Whispbars, and they're nice and quiet, but pretty and I would think would be more prone to being scratched. (haven't used mine too often yet) If you want durable/utilitarian bars that are good for lumber, or dragging a canoe across, I'd go with Thule. Had them on my Mk4 Golf. Never understood the popularity of Yakima's round bars that don't fix the position of the accessories.

LOUDERMAN

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 2dr Golf TDI, 6MT
I have Whispbars, and they're nice and quiet, but pretty and I would think would be more prone to being scratched. (haven't used mine too often yet) If you want durable/utilitarian bars that are good for lumber, or dragging a canoe across, I'd go with Thule. Had them on my Mk4 Golf. Never understood the popularity of Yakima's round bars that don't fix the position of the accessories.
As much of a Yakima fanboy as I am, those round bars are pretty ****ing dumb next to square ones.

Either way, Areo style blades are pimp, and that's what matters!

YukonLT

Veteran Member - TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2010 Golf TDI 6MT
Both Yakima and Thule make good products, but I'm a little partial to Yakima I think. On my Golf I have the newest style aerobars from Thule. I have the Thule snowboard/ski clamps for them for winter, and a set of Yakima Frontloader bike racks for summer. The aerobars aren't without their own wind noise, and it's still annoying when you open the sunroof. So, for summer I ended up getting a hitch bike rack from Yakima for our Outback. Now I can leave the bars off and enjoy my quiet sunroof in summer, unless I really want to take the VW and use the roof rack.

Don't go with the OEM VW bars, they are terribly loud.

Jetter_Sprinta

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
2 Peeps sharing 1 UseYerName//an array of cars
I was a diehard Yakima fan for years. I had a Yak with two bikes (with front fork mount) on my '78 Rabbit when I was racing to drop my cousin at the airport. In my rush, I took the car lane and the bike seats hit the ceiling. The rack performed phenomenally and left my bikes with little more than scratches on the seats.

Fast forward to my mk3 Jetta. I bought the fit kit from Yakima so I could use my bars and mounts. No workie. I even went to an EMS roof rack event and worked with a so-called technician. Eventually, I returned the Yak and bought the whole Thule setup. Love it, and have added the mounts for B4V which also fits my Audi Avants. I'm not sure if it's still the case, but Yakima bars fit in Thule bases, but not the other way around.

I take them off when not in use.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
Inno makes Thule square bars for less money.

When I had Thule square, I noticed they tend to bow in the middle. Makes some sense, as the wall thickness is pretty thin.

Yakima round bars have relatively thick walls. But...my end caps always crack (never had that issue with thule end caps)... and their railgrab takes more initial time to set up compared to Thule using a rubber coated steel strap.

pick your poison

Sumfuncomet

TDI
Jetta Sportwagen
Rhino Rack! I bought them from etrailer.com. These are very strong, quiet, lots of accessories. The pano roof opens no problem. The price is right. I think the Yak and Thu,e are both overpriced! I researched them all. I can say that they all make noise unless you are hard of hearing you WILL have an increase in noise. I listen to my killer sound system all the time anyways so I don't hear a thing from up above

ADFTDI

TDI
2012 Golf TDI, 6MT, 2 door, black.
I have Thule AeroBars on mine! They hold up to everything Ive thrown at them so far, from surfboards, SUP boards, skis, snowboards, bikes, and even a 12ft Christmas tree. They are incredibly quiet, don't affect MPG too much, and go on an off very easy.