Please be true!! fingers crossed.

KraftwerkB6

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
Thats an Alltrack concept, like a beefed up jetta sportwagon looking like the passat wagon.
different...
That top link shows an actual new golf wagon, 4 motion, tdi, manual supposed to be at NYC auto show. so guess will just have to wait and see.

KraftwerkB6

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
where was this other post?
or was it in DRBillz link?

sounds like someone just needs to delete this thread since its already been covered. lol

YukonLT

Veteran Member - TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2010 Golf TDI 6MT
I love my Golf, but if that ends up in the US, I will own one.

pearNchewy

TDI
2014 Golf TDI 4 door Blue Graphite DSG
I could maybe see the Golf wagon tdi 4 motion with dsg being around 32500 msrp. So possibly could get one around 28500 - 29000. Cheaper for the manual. Would be cool to make that and bring it to the states. I would trade for that model possibly in a few years if that were the case.

nikhsub1

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf R
We can all believe in unicorns i guess! Realistically, the current JSW was offered in AWD over in europe, this is nothing new... I hope they bring more exciting things like that over here but historically they don't :( We'll just have to wait and see if the unicorns materialize.

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
I've got to say that even though I have no interest in AWD, the demand on this site sure seems to indicate that they could sell a lot of AWD JSW TDI's. Granted they'd be cannibalizing some of their existing sales, but I bet a fair number of Subaru devotee's would make the leap. And they'd probably get in on the lite SUV drivers who currently drive Rav4's and CRV's as well.

That said, I'll believe this when I see it. It could be a good thing for people interested in a used JSW because I predict a massive sell off if this becomes available.

EvilEvo

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI 4dr W/Tech Package
Like I've posted before, VWOA has a Mk7 Golf TDI 4-Motion here in Herndon right now, not sure if they are planning on bringing one to the US to sell, but that would be great.

It's the car under the cover, I wasn't going to take the cover all the way off.

KraftwerkB6

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
Nice find. hopefully this becomes true.
this just throws new cars into the mix. MK7 gti PP, used tdi touareg, or 4motion jsw.
Or just be smart and keep current jsw..

pknopp

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
I have no need for 4wd but I'm sure it would do well.

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
This winter I could have used AWD. My snow tires were obviously working just fine because I almost never had the ABS kick in when stopping. But it is still way too easy to break the front end loose in snow/slush/ice. I had other FWD cars without snow tires pull away from me with no problem from stoplight, and I couldn't figure it out. Too much torque I guess. So I wouldn't mind AWD now.

TNriverjet

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI 6MT
I like this very much too. I'm thinking more and more about a manual tranny for the next car. I've always liked the idea of AWD, but have no experience with VW's 4 motion system. Two questions that come from experience with Ford AWD (Volvo essentially) on a Freestyle wagon.

1. Does 4motion increase tire wear?
2. Does 4motion significantly impact fuel efficiency? I know it will some, but give me some real-world FE numbers.

The new wagon will have 10 more HP and be a lighter overall vehicle, from the article. This may help in the FE numbers. If a 3.0 AWD TDI Touareg can get 30-33 on the freeway, I would think this new wagon in TDI AWD trim could still get 38-40 mpg hwy.

nikhsub1

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf R
VW's 4motion is Haldex based... it's another computer system that dynamically sends power to the rear when needed... in general driving, the car mostly uses FWD - if slip is detected or if you really get on the throttle it will send the appropriate power to the rear wheels. For the most part I would think the FE hit would be more from the additional weight than actual AWD driving. It does not increase tire wear at all, in fact it may actually help keep the front tires from spinning by sending power to the rear wheels, thus saving tire wear. Volvos are also Haldex based... Haldex is rather mature now, it is at Gen 5 with the MK7 cars...

EvilEvo

Veteran Member
TDI
VW's 4motion is Haldex based... it's another computer system that dynamically sends power to the rear when needed... in general driving, the car mostly uses FWD - if slip is detected or if you really get on the throttle it will send the appropriate power to the rear wheels. For the most part I would think the FE hit would be more from the additional weight than actual AWD driving. It does not increase tire wear at all, in fact it may actually help keep the front tires from spinning by sending power to the rear wheels, thus saving tire wear. Volvos are also Haldex based... Haldex is rather mature now, it is at Gen 5 with the MK7 cars...
It's also been in use in the Audi TT since it's inception.

If the Haldex controller is unplugged, it switches to FWD only. The Haldex controller can be swapped with different versions to change the AWD power bias.

nikhsub1

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf R
It's also been in use in the Audi TT since it's inception.

If the Haldex controller is unplugged, it switches to FWD only. The Haldex controller can be swapped with different versions to change the AWD power bias.
Haldex flashes just came out. All haldex controllers are the SAME HARDWARE - it was only the software which was different. But yes, the above is true.

TDIAustin

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW, MT, Red/Cornsilk
I don't need 4wd either but there seems to many improvements. I wonder if they got rid of that annoying stalling problem from standstill. It's also dangerous at an intersection, especially when turning. I never owned a car that did that. We still like our JSW but both my wife and I dislike that feature.

UberVW_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf Variant TDI
If the RPMs drop below 800, the computer shuts the motor off....and very abruptly at that! More of a ECU program characteristic. I've heard the Malone tunes really wake up the initial throttle tip in.

I'm used to it now, but when I first started driving mine (2009), I almost got ran over by a dump truck after I accidently stalled it just after I began rolling out from a green light. Dump truck was making a right hand turn and missed my rear by a few inches at best.

Last edited:

EvilEvo

Veteran Member
TDI
If the RPMs drop below 800, the computer shuts the motor off....and very abruptly at that! More of a ECU program characteristic. I've heard the Malone tunes really wake up the initial throttle tip in.

I'm used to it now, but when I first started driving mine (2009), I almost got ran over by a dump truck after I accidently stalled it just after I began rolling out from a green light. Dump truck was making a right hand turn and missed my rear by a few inches at best.
The Malone tune also removes the 800RPM stall.

Early8Q

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW TDI 3 pedal
I just saw the vortex article. I would love the exact car they displayed as a concept. Never mind that I am fond of the colors and textures.... I would guess that the switch to urea will help the mileage that will be offset by the addition of the Haldex system. I am seeing a very nice AWD TDI wagon with a manual transmission. I want one.

benwah

TDI
2012 JSW CJAA
"It is also 0.9 inches lower, which benefits both aerodynamic performance and the car’s proportions: the CdA number has been reduced by almost 10 percent compared with the previous generation. "

But will not benefit my undercarriage, as I'm already scraping ice/packed snow in the winter. Well, they missed one point of having AWD, IMHO.

wagon, plus
AWD, plus
TDI, plus
manual, plus
decreased ground clearance, huge minus (for me at least)

A Tiguan with a manual, AWD, and TDI would be just the ticket, too.

Last edited:

TNriverjet

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI 6MT
I can't imagine 0.9" less ground clearance... Well I can, but wouldn't think a manufacturer would do that. Especially with the already vulnerable oil pan on the current gen JSW. I bet they mean total car height from the ground to the tallest point of the vehicle.

Also, Tiguans have very little room inside compared to the JSW. I actually did a side/side comparison of a JSW and aTouareg on cars.com. The JSW has more cargo room! Seats up and down!

Last edited:

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
I can't imagine 0.9" less ground clearance... Well I can, but wouldn't think a manufacturer would do that. Especially with the already vulnerable oil pan on the current gen JSW.
Oh, I can think of a manufacturer who would do that. VW!

My JSW: 5.4" of ground clearance.

My old 2000 Golf TDI: 3.9" of ground clearance!

A number of folks punctured their oil pans by hitting things in the road.
Skidplates were a favorite mod on those A4 cars.

Oh, and the front struts mounts collapsed within 20k miles, and the shocks got saggy at 80k, so take at least another half inch off that number. :eek:

ClimbingTDI

TDI
2013 Golf TDI - DSG
If they bring the Golf Sportswagen with TDI, DSG and 4 Motion I am second in line to pick one up. If they do the above and add an R badge to it, I am first in line to pick one up.