Plastic Cover/Foam

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Alright, before people ask, yes I searched this forum and didn't find anything related to my question in the 1st 5 pages... Question, The foam has deteriorated and come off from under the lower of the 2 plastic covers. It caused the plastic to rub on the metal lines in the front of the motor. I have removed it for now. I would like to put the cover back on, but I need to replace the foam, or buy another cover. Either would be fine. Any body know of a source. Yes, I am aware that I could just leave it off, and hang it in my garage, but it does help with sound. I don't need the Jetta to be loud, that is what my F250 is for... -Loki

maloosheck

Veteran Member
TDI
2K6 1K2 BRM, 2K8 7L6 BWF, 85 16 MF
I have the same problem and I believe you have to replace the covers since the foam is attached to them. I will try to find out the PNs soon.

Alright, before people ask, yes I searched this forum and didn't find anything related to my question in the 1st 5 pages... Question, The foam has deteriorated and come off from under the lower of the 2 plastic covers. It caused the plastic to rub on the metal lines in the front of the motor. I have removed it for now. I would like to put the cover back on, but I need to replace the foam, or buy another cover. Either would be fine. Any body know of a source. Yes, I am aware that I could just leave it off, and hang it in my garage, but it does help with sound. I don't need the Jetta to be loud, that is what my F250 is for... -Loki

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE, new 4 Sept 2017;2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen (Ruby) sold to VW on 22 SEP 2017
Have you checked in junk yards? Or on eBay?

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
I have the same problem and I believe you have to replace the covers since the foam is attached to them. I will try to find out the PNs soon.
Thanks, I would definitely be interested in the PN's if you come across them!

bombero

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Why can't you just put it back sans foam? I only ask because I have been running mine like that for a while now. I don't see how plastic could harm metal lines, but if that's possible, I would want to know.

LokiWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Why can't you just put it back sans foam? I only ask because I have been running mine like that for a while now. I don't see how plastic could harm metal lines, but if that's possible, I would want to know.
You should take a closer look. I thought the same. I had removed mine during the last oil change, and went to add some Washer Fluid, and was checking oil levels, and just a looking at things while I had it in the garage. Noticed some discoloration on the metal line directly in the front of the motor. Looked closely, and noticed that the plastic was rubbing on them. A softer substance can hurt a harder substance over time.

-Loki

maloosheck

Veteran Member
TDI
2K6 1K2 BRM, 2K8 7L6 BWF, 85 16 MF
The silver cover: 03G103967
The black frame around: 03G103907

I have to double check but I believe it is only the silver part that has a foam attached.

BleachedBora

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus
Resurrection of thread but I just got in 50x of the Genuine silver covers from Germany...I'll be listing them soon... :)
-BB

derandjer

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Simple, simple fix. If you have thin (I used 1/4 inch) flexible foam, like the kind used in shipping/protecting. You can cut to size and glue to the cover. I did the repair over a year ago and it is working out super. no heat/melting issues form the engine heat. Total cost $zero, as I had the sheet of foam in the garage waiting for a use for it.