Planning to switch

MrCypherr

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
Hello, roughly new here as I don't own a TDI currently but I'm looking into getting one. Right now I have a mk7 golf 1.8T. I've had it for just under 10 months and already at 30,000kms. I plan on doing way more driving in the time to come (road trips , beach trips, etc..) I'm here asking if anyone has any pros and con's to the mk7 tdi. Working at the dealer we haven't heard of anything nor had any cars in for service higher than 15,000kms. I think this would be the better choice for me as I love driving and could drive anywhere anytime. Right now I'm paying $60 a week for fuel and only getting roughly 580kms a tank.

Thanks for any input!

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

No More Buffalo

Veteran Member
TDI
Current: 2015 Golf SEL 6m Sold: 2012 Golf 2dr DSG
Well, my worst tanks have been over 550kms, if that helps you. (Near 100% city, all short trips, lots of AC)

TurnOne

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL TDI 6MT
Swapping cars can be pricey. How much would you have to drive to justify the cost?
Don't forget diesels have more expensive maintenance.

I love my TDI! This is my first VW. No regrets. Over 25k miles so far.

MrCypherr

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
I mostly do 95% highway driving anyways. I do think that the extra 500kms that I'd get outta the tank would help a lot. Compared to just getting 600kms a tank now. Maintenance wouldn't be a problem cause I'd be doing it all myself and I wouldn't get the DSG but the 6spd model. I plan on doing a lot more driving soon as we are planning a cross country trip. I'd just like to not spend $60 every 4-5 days on fuel.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

pillboxhat

TDI
15' Golf (Formerly owned 240D, 00 Beetle, 06 Jetta
I love my TDI and I do about 30k a year. That said and considering your post, I would seriously think twice before you switch. I speak from experience. I switched to get more MPG and I've also traded in cars that were less than a year old. Although I love my 15 TDI SEL I honestly do regret it sometimes. The extra car payment, even though I can totally afford it, is money I could be spending on other stuff or saving. I know the whole "My monthly payment will go up but I'll make up for it in the money I save" dance that goes on in one's head. But still. You're probably getting about 30-35 hwy now? That's not bad. You'll be getting about 45 with a TDI. Yeah yeah sometimes you'll get 50-55...but you'll probably get about 45 usually. You also have to factor in that maintenance on these is not that easy when you do it yourself. Not like it used to be. And diesel costs more. And if you are driving across country you will be at the mercy of finding a diesel station. Yes, usually most places have diesel but every once in a while I pull off the highway and see that the station does not have it. I don't want to sound down on the TDI. I'm not. I love it. But changing cars simply for the MPG, to me, seems like you will be setting yourself up for a slight disappointment and unnecessary expense. Especially since the ride quality will be exactly the same. Some might even argue worse because the TDI does not have independent rear suspension. If you hated your current car or if you needed more room or it was unreliable or were driving a GMC Yukon at 15-20mpg then I'd say live it up. But you actually like your current car. I'd at least stick it out for a couple years. My .02

All that said, and if you're hard-headed like me...I look forward to seeing your future pictures of your new TDI next month:)

MrCypherr

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
Yeah thats been in my head for awhile. I'm still waiting to hear back from the GM at my work about how much i owe still and how much my cars worth. This will all be the deciding factor. If the payments are too high, then I'll stick it out for a couple years then maybe switch. Currently on the highway I vary from 5.2L/100kms - 5.8L/100kms (40MPG - 45MPG). I dont punch it hard and drive between 105-110km/h. I shift at like 2000-2400rpm. I actually once managed to get down to 4.9L/100km (48MPG) and had a picture on my old phone. I guess what I hate (of course, duh) is the city driving killing my mileage. Another thing is I guess with all the mileage ill be putting on, I know TDis would handle it and still climb. Not too sure about the gas cars. But I guess if maintenance is all done on time it will pretty much live forever. I guess its just me wanting to get that extra 400-500kms to tank.

No More Buffalo

Veteran Member
TDI
Current: 2015 Golf SEL 6m Sold: 2012 Golf 2dr DSG
Best here is only around 720kms, but that tank still had 2 or 3 gallons to go if I'd really cared to push it.