Planning help (OR/ID/MT/WY & WA)

vw4life

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg TDI
Local OR, ID, MT, and WY folks, I am planning a post TDI fest mini roadtrip to Yellowstone and the Tetons. Below is a link to a proposed route.

I'd appreciate your opinions and suggestions for minor re-routes for scenery or other suggested must see/must do's for the wife and I.

google my map

nakimball

TDI
'05.5 Jetta 5spd
Great Trip

1. Take US-26 through Oregon rather than I-84. It's prettier and more remote.
2. Stop at Norris Hot Springs north of Ennis, MT. Just trust me on this one.
3. Excellent place to camp: about 8 miles south of Pony, MT in the Tobacco Root mountains.
4. A side trip up to the Flathead Valley in Montana may be worth it to break up the monotony of I-90 on the way back.

Enjoy!

vw4life

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg TDI
Thanks I am adding your suggestions to the map.

I think we will use I-84 as it will be faster and for that part of the trip we just want to get east efficiently. Thanks for the tips.

Can you look at my place marker for the campsite near pony? Is it at all accurate?

Last edited:

whyfish

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 VW TDI Wagon auto. transmission
On your return trip north through Yellowstone, rather than travel through West Yellowstone and on up Hwy 20 North to Bozeman, consider taking the Norris Junction route, north through the park to the Gardiner, WY. Park entrance. There is this incredible arched entrance into the park here. This is where Teddy Roosevel made his dedication speech of the Park way back when. Also, before the wolf packs really started to take hold in the area, there are, or were, hundreds of elk grazing in the meadows here, right along the road-side. Right in town!! It was a sight to see. Don'know how it is these days. Haven't been through the Park on this route for about 10 years. Anyway, once you leave Gardiner, the route takes you due north through Paradise Valley up to Livingston. The valley here is out of this world pretty, plus you can stop off at Cisco Hot Springs for a soak and gourmet meal if you choose.

When you arrive in Livingston, you'll be 26 miles east of Bozeman on Interstate 90. If you fish, there are numerous pull outs along the Yellowstone to drop a line and perhps hook-up with a good sized trout.

Anyway, that's the way I'd go. See you at the GTG!!

vw4life

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg TDI
Thanks, I'll add your suggestions to the map. We'll be doing this 1st week of September- what are wildlife opportunities like that time of year?

scott080379

TDI
04 Golf
Yellow Stone is a great place any time of the year. Just keep in mind that is can snow in the upper parts of the park as well the Teatons at pretty much any time of the year. I am not sure how much money is a concerne of yours, but staying in the park isn't cheap. Either way this should be a fun trip for you.

the only thing I would sujest is hitting up the coast in OR and WA. They both have gorgeous landscapes. If you are willing to do some hicking and willing to go up the the 101 in WA. You should stop off at hurrican Ridge. Some great trails views. If you take 101 stop in a LA Push or one of the trail heads to 3rd or 2nd beach and hike down to the water. Maybe even take the ferry over from Port Angeles to Vitoria and then another over to Vancouer. All this might add a day on the trip for you though.

also you are byepassign Mt Rainier as well, another great spot in WA. If you are willing to tack on another day maybe head down to Crater lake in OR. There are so many other great location to stop in the PNW, I didn't even touch on Idaho.

Good luck and take lots of photos.

vw4life

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg TDI
Thanks for the tips. We've done the OR/WA south coast but want to do Hurricane Ridge and Rainier as well. Those will have to be on other trips.

Anyone have comments on my route through the interior of WA? We have done Leavenworth and Wenatchee and Grand Coulee before, hence the even more backroad route.

svanmatr

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS 04 PD wagon. beige, tiptronic
The park roads are basically a figure 8, with the eight oriented north at the top and south at the bottom. I always try to drive all legs of the 8. My trips from Billings usually involve going over the Beartooth Highway (google this for pics)to the NE entrance at Cooke City. Fantastic overlooks and vistas beween Cooke city and Red Lodge. The last motel on the NW end of Cooke City (I think the "Sooner") has reasonable rates and the restaurant halfway thru town with umbrella tables out front and 80 kinds of beer - has the "funk Burger" which contains garlic and is delicious when ordered juicy. Of course, everyone traveling with you must like garlic also or you will get grief if the odor escapes whilst drinking a carbonated beverage. The Hot springs north of Gardiner(the north entrance) is Chico , not Cisco, and they have gormet dining w/reservations and several levels of accomodations. At the Museum in Gardiner in the basement they used to have the largest display of animal scat for all four seasons that I have ever seen. West Yellowstone has an IMAX theatre.

Baker City has an interesting museum.

Enjoy

Last edited:

vw4life

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg TDI
Thanks,

I am staring to plan the yellowstone part in detail now so your info really helps.

All the accomodations within the park are booked until October so I need to find alternates. Maybe one night south in Tetons and one night north in gardener sounds nice.

thanks

PumpDeuce

TDI
2005+ Jetta
Went there last month without reservations and ended up getting a cabin at Jackson Lake Lodge. That way you're driving distance to get in a side tour of Jackson Hole. Traffic is down, so worst case you can pick up a 2nd tier cabin. In fact our whole 8,000 mi trip...only reservations were in Nebraska and the only time we struggled was Montana. Unless you've gotta see Portland, one of the best scenic views was Rte 12 to 123 to 410 thru Ranier on our way up to Seattle...

Thanks,
All the accomodations within the park are booked until October so I need to find alternates. Maybe one night south in Tetons and one night north in gardener sounds nice.

thanks

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
I have a request, also for local denizens or frequent travelers in the region:
Do you have knowledge of, or have you heard rumours of, public access B99/B100 biodiesel between Salt Lake City and Portland?

Driggs ID will be of little assistance as the detour off I84 and back to it will use almost as much fuel as I'd be able to put in the tank (having just filled in SLC).
There's a station in Lakeview OR, but they carry B20, not B99/B100.
The Dalles, OR is a bit further than my expected driving range.

Oh, Didn't I mention that I am choosing to not carry fuel jugs?

At present I have plotted out a route that meets my self-imposed limits of:
1. public access (no co-ops, no card-lock)
2. B99/B100 (no less)
3. within fuel tank driving range (650 miles)
That present route requires a lengthy dog-leg, adding 300 miles and 5+ hours, to the SLC-PDX segment. I'd like to find a more direct route that meets my 'requirements'.