Pirelli P7 tires

banshee365

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta
At 50k miles the Hancook POS's are finally roasted. I've alway's hated these tires. They are 235/45R18's.

I priced 3 brands of tires at the dealer to burn the gift card on. I asked for prices on Conti's, Pirelli's, and Michelin's. The prices were given out the door with alignment. The Conti's were a hair over $900, the Pirelli's, $1030ish, and the Michelin MXM4's were the most at $1130 or so.

With the research I've done so far the Pirelli's seem to have the best reviews and ratings. Does anything have them on their Passat, for how long, and how do you like them? I had originally decided on the Conti's as they are a big name brand tire and are a good fit brand wise for a VW with all of the parts Continental makes for VW. But, the Pirelli's have really caught my attention lately and may be worth the extra coin.

jhinsc

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium
I was going to replace my Conti's with the Pirelli's when they wore out, but got a nail in one at about 37500 miles and had to replace it. I chose to buy another one so I had new tires on each side of the same axle. But just had my 40K mile service done, and I still have 7/32's tread remaining on the two original tires still on the car! These are some long lasting tires! I was hoping to get the Pirelli's because of the reviews I've seen on them, but I have no complaints about the Conti's. To get more even wear I bump up the psi's to 35 vs 33 recommended - so far working out great. I used my dealer card for the new tires and a set of wiper blades. Now let's see if I will keep the car - depending on what VW wants to do with the TDI's. If they buy back, I will miss it since my TDI has been the cheapest car I've owned to maintain, and with my fuel discounts, it's cost me less than 5 cents per mile on fuel costs. Can't beat that!

mtbsteve

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE w/roof and nav
Not sure if you have the 17" or 18" wheels. My comments are for factory 18s.

I have the P7s on now, for about 10k miles. They have worked well for dry, wet and snow traction here in the Northeast. They handle well and I haven't seen any change in fuel economy although I don't track it religiously.

Check this below, a post I made back in February. A link is below for that entire thread over on Vortex.

From 2/17/2016 on http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?7645657-New-tire-recommendations
All on factory 18s.
1. Had the OEM Bridgestones until ~28k miles. They were ok, squirrly in wet especially as they aged, not great in snow.

2. Replaced with Continental PureContact w/EcoPlus. Had them until about 70k miles. Great tires, handled everything better than OEM and one of the best wet tires I have ever owned. Good in snow and a solid dry handler as well. Still had 5/32 but decided to get rid of them now and get use out of a new set through the winter and for the next 2 years of ownership until I plan on parting ways with the car.

3. Now have had the Pirelli Cinturato P7 for a few months and 4k miles. I would rate them more or less equal with the PureContacts when they were new but I would give a slight edge to the PureContacts all around, they seemed slightly more sporty while not giving up much up in ride quality. They are both quiet and good performance grand touring tires that fit the character of the stock Passat very well. Very similar tires with the P7 having what seems to me to be a slightly softer sidewall compared to the 2 previous tires where those did not show any squatting in the sidewall around 32-34 psi.

If I was to do it again I would buy the Continental PureContacts. I just liked them a little more than the Pirellis but you really can't go wrong with either. I am certainly not upset I tried the P7s and still think it is a nice tire.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I would pick the Michelins first, Continentals second, and Pirellis would probably be 5th or 6th. There are equal or better tires out there for the same money. Although dealers may not carry (or be able to get) all of them.

The General Altimax (which is part of Continental) is a decent tire for the money. Just make sure you are getting the "regular" ones and not the directional type (I forget the alphanumeric model designations).

I would have ditched the Hankooks right away, I've seen FAR too many thrown treads and blown out sidewalls on those Chinese death rollers than I care to count. They split apart right across the "MADE IN CHINA" on the inside sidewalls of the tires. :rolleyes:

jjblbi

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SEL TDI
I am at 89k miles on my original 18" Contis, they don't owe me anything. Tire Rack has some neat comparison tools and is a good basis for pricing.

I have had tires shipped to a local installer and also negotiated price with them based on TR pricing. Good luck, John

Mark SF

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDi
I would pick the Michelins first, Continentals second, and Pirellis would probably be 5th or 6th. There are equal or better tires out there for the same money. Although dealers may not carry (or be able to get) all of them.

The General Altimax (which is part of Continental) is a decent tire for the money. Just make sure you are getting the "regular" ones and not the directional type (I forget the alphanumeric model designations).

I would have ditched the Hankooks right away, I've seen FAR too many thrown treads and blown out sidewalls on those Chinese death rollers than I care to count. They split apart right across the "MADE IN CHINA" on the inside sidewalls of the tires. :rolleyes:
Hankook tires are Korean.

RebelTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Audi Q5 TDI, 2016 BMW 535d Xdrive
My X3 came with the P7s and I like them. Quiet, good dry/wet traction, even OK in a little snow. Mine are run flats, though :(. Expensive. Anyway, the suggestions above are all good. I think it's a matter of the best price you can find.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
^^^perfect example of what NOT to do: Compare tires of completely different design (run flats vs. conventional)

ANY tire comparison needs to be exact size equivalent. Too many differences from size to size.

VeeDubFamily

TDI
2013 NMS Passat TDI SEL
25k miles on Pirelli P7 Cinturato's after they replaced the conti's that came stock which I got 71k on. Much quieter and far more grip than the conti's! I thoroughly recommend them.

Josh

Mark SF

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDi
Although there are variations from model to model, in general I think of Michelin as being the top brand and Pirelli being next best. On the Passat I have had Michelin Premier A/S tires, which have been on for the last 20K miles. They seem pretty good. I'd probably buy them again.

I have Pirelli A/S Plus tires on the Jag XJR which are fine, except that they take an overnight flat spot and then shake your teeth out for the first couple of miles.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
That may be, but I've never seen one. So I cannot comment on the quality of Chinese-made ones. I've seen Michelins made in France (obviously), Germany, Canada, USA, and maybe Brazil. Michelins "budget" lines, Uniroyal and BFGoodrich, can be made in various places, but still never seen a Chinese one. Indonesia is probably the closest (lots of Uniroyal Tiger Paw Touring tires come from there, and they are mediocre at best).

All I can say for sure is that pretty much any tire made in China that I have seen sold/installed here is substandard, ESPECIALLY those Hankook time bombs that many of the newer Volkswagens sold here got cursed with. There have even been a lot of articles and kickbacks within the tire industry from retailers like me to wholesalers to the manufacturers themselves about how China has been dumping poor quality and often dangerous tires on other global markets, so it isn't exactly anything new. But, with the history of them using lead paint in childrens toys, dangerous toxins in drywall (seriously, importing DRYWALL from China??? What are we thinking here??) and now the latest, toxic heavy metals in talcum powder, it really should come as no surprise that Chinese tires would be substandard.... but people keep buying them because a lot of them want CHEAP.

Last edited:

Herkguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 passat SE sun/nav
I've had the P7 plus on mine for 35000 plus miles and love them, they are the 18" and so much quieter, great handling dry or rain. Ok in snow. Tread life is fantastic so far, 7/32 left at that mileage.
Make sure you are looking at the P7plus, there is a basic P7.
Price wise you should be able to land the P7s out the door for around 800.00
$1000 is way too much for any tire.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
Well here is what I did......I acquired a used set of VW 16" alloys from a guy on Vortex. Purchased a set of Pirelli P7+ Ditched my 18" factory rims with factory supplied Conti's.
the 16"size Pirelli's from Discount tire direct came to $320.00 with rebates and free shipping. The used Biolines came to $200.00.

That being said I also changed out my suspension components with H&R OE sport springs and Koni FSD struts and shocks. With about 1k on this set up I'm happy as a pig in mud. To early to judge the longevity of the P7's. The car has a very planted ride, the tires respond well in both rain and dry conditions, the tires run smooth and quiet . I use winter tires so I will never be able to comment on snow traction. Right now I'm very pleased with the Pirelli's made in Mexico.

Last edited:

Tinkertoy

TDI
'17 passat SEL 1.8t gasser, '13 passat se dsg
I have a set of p7 + on one Passat and a set of toyo versado noirs on another.

The pirellis have 58 k on them right now. They are great for a sporty tire. I really have no complaints aside from the fact that they are getting noisy. I expect to get 70k at least. Not bad for a 50k mile tire!

The toyos are a lot smoother, almost like driving on a cloud. They are super comfortable and quiet but aren't as sporty feeling as the pirellis. They seem to be wearing well too. They are rated for 65-75k depending on size

Both sets are way better than the stock hancrap tires that balded out in 45k and were noisy the whole time

Dismayed

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL-Premium TDI
P7's are excellent tires

I put P7's on my wife's Passat about 1.5 years ago, and I also have P7's on my Audi. They are excellent tires. Much quieter than the Passat's OEM Hankooks, and the traction and handling are excellent. Granted they perform better on my Audi, but that's the car, not the tires.