Pillar gauge pod

blueboy7

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta PD BEW 5M
Been wanting to add an oil pressure gauge. Was thinking about putting a three gauge pod on the pillar. But what to put in the other two.

Has anyone done this and what gauges did you use?

Got pics?

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 2000 Jetta TDI 2000 New Beetle TDI ALL 5 speeds
Oil temp and voltage maybe?

Mongler is on his way...I only use my pyro since my tune needs work and if I keep my foot in it for 30 or so seconds and running hard above 100ish the turbo gets really hot...I don't look at my boost gauge much anymore...maybe a quick juant to make sure it's still making 23 pounds but that's about it

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Gauges are stupid and a total waste of time. That's what Mongler would say ;)
Coolant temp would be a good one, being as the dash gauge is an idiot gauge. Boost would be a close second. Was thinking of doing what you did, but decided to go with a scangauge 2 out of pure laziness.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
HAHAHA
i was just going to say that!
Auber gauges are cool, they have a relay on them, the first thing i did was hook up that dumb lacuaracha alarm to it when boost would go to high. that didnt last long!
and you can hide them easily
unless your running some stupid crazy tune or parts, dont even bother with it. Go buy a scangaugeII it will tell you in real time, engine coolant temp and boost, everything else is a waste of time and money. are you racing the car? i didnt think so

Last edited:

PB_NB

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 New Beetle
EGT.

This would be an important one for hilly areas!

SGII can't track EGT in the OP's case as there are no sensors in the older TDI's.

I am looking at adding one to my water and boost gauges but I am afraid that it will make me slow down ;)

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
why are we adding gauges to a stock car? EGT? POINTLESS unless your going nuts with fueling

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
why are we adding gauges to a stock car? EGT? POINTLESS unless your going nuts with fueling
I would rather make less power and not have to worry about egts...maybe one day I'll grow up and play with my own tune or stop being lazy and take some fuel out of the pump(IQ) to start

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
EGT.

This would be an important one for hilly areas!

SGII can't track EGT in the OP's case as there are no sensors in the older TDI's.

I am looking at adding one to my water and boost gauges but I am afraid that it will make me slow down ;)
I was assuming he already had Mickey mouse pod on the column and egt and boost there

But I don't know that I'd add gauges to a stock car

PB_NB

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 New Beetle
EGT's are the only thing that I loose sleep over...

I envision my turbo compressor wheel glowing red as I and cresting a 8 mile hill at 10% while running at 24 pounds of boost.

Gives me nightmares...

I guess we really don't know what the OP has for upgrades if any. Putting gauges in a stock car is a bit of a cart before the horse situation but it could be an upgrade path as well.

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
EGT's are the only thing that I loose sleep over...

I envision my turbo compressor wheel glowing red as I and cresting a 8 mile hill at 10% while running at 24 pounds of boost.

Gives me nightmares...

I guess we really don't know what the OP has for upgrades if any. Putting gauges in a stock car is a bit of a cart before the horse situation but it could be an upgrade path as well.
There's a long grade like your describing in North Carolina, I was running pretty hard passing cars and she got a little hot...I imagine my down pipe glowing... sometimes at night I wonder if you could see it if I ran it up to 1600f... hopefully I never see it glowing

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
You can easily build a defuel mod with a auber gauge. Wire the relay into the brake light switch under the pedal. Have it trigger at desired values.

blueboy7

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta PD BEW 5M
No I am not racing the car except for driving to work, driving home, driving to the grocery store, driving to the gas station, driving to church, needless to say I have a heavy foot. The stock coolant temperature gauge works fine but I like to know more of what’s going on under the hood just because. Was thinking in addition to the oil pressure a volt gauge and then maybe a boost gauge sounds good.
Hopefully in the near future I’ll be installing a Malone stage 4 tune.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
With a stock alh, a stage 4 tune will blow your egts out the window and crush your clutch to smithereens.
You clearly dont uh understand what "stage" means.
So at stage 4, your looking at clutch, nozzles, turbo, tune, cam, some supporting mods like fmic and so on.

Just forget about your gauges. Spend it on better tires and quality parts.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
With a stock alh, a stage 4 tune will blow your egts out the window and crush your clutch to smithereens.
You clearly dont uh understand what "stage" means.
So at stage 4, your looking at clutch, nozzles, turbo, tune, cam, some supporting mods like fmic and so on.

Just forget about your gauges. Spend it on better tires and quality parts.
I don't know man, I don't have a performance cam or fmic and I have a stage 4.
If you go on Kerma's or Malone's website, they'll list what a good stage whatever requires.

Hawkins2015

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Jetta , 00 Jetta
I have a pillar with boost and oil pressure gauges, as well as an Ultragauge right beside it. I can add a picture later if some one wants to see it.

My set-up is in no way professional, and I know a lot of you guys will say it's unnecessary or pointless, but I enjoy monitoring the "vitals".

Seems like every one says they are pointless, especially on a car that doesn't have a powerful tune, but hey, I enjoy it.

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
I have a pillar with boost and oil pressure gauges, as well as an Ultragauge right beside it. I can add a picture later if some one wants to see it.

My set-up is in no way professional, and I know a lot of you guys will say it's unnecessary or pointless, but I enjoy monitoring the "vitals".

Seems like every one says they are pointless, especially on a car that doesn't have a powerful tune, but hey, I enjoy it.
I use them for diagnostic purposes, real time monitoring of the important stuff

sriracha

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon 5mt, 1982 Rabbit truck (gas)
Has anyone installed the custom gauge cluster by Litke? I want to go with a Litke cluster instead of gauges. The Litke info screen looks OEM and has additional information displayed, such as a scanner/code reader, outside temperature and others.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gOG9OQvDFNQ

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
I use them for diagnostic purposes, real time monitoring of the important stuff
I'm glad this was posted I was going to post the same thing. I'm stock with my ALH, but if I added gauges, I would add a real oil pressure gauge, boost, pyro, and fuel pressure.
Those of you that say they are pointless on a stock engine are missing the point that gauges are important for troubleshooting/diagnostic purposes, not just seeing the needle move. I think that most who work on their own vehicles and put the time and effort in to keep them functioning properly would agree.

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm glad this was posted I was going to post the same thing. I'm stock with my ALH, but if I added gauges, I would add a real oil pressure gauge, boost, pyro, and fuel pressure.

Those of you that say they are pointless on a stock engine are missing the point that gauges are important for troubleshooting/diagnostic purposes, not just seeing the needle move. I think that most who work on their own vehicles and put the time and effort in to keep them functioning properly would agree.
If you see an oil pressure needle go to zero vs eventually see the idiot light...might be a huge price difference in repairs

To each their own

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
I was stock when I installed a boost gauge (with 42DD pod)… which led to mods, such as a Dawes Device (or boost valve) to limit the spikes.

Last edited:

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
If we preach stuff like catch your maintenance up before you mod and do suspension refresh, adding gauges preemptively isn't a bad idea cause I drove my car on the stock clutch for a few days before I put the South bend in...because I just couldn't wait to drive it...it's not common to cause damage from adding gauges so you're just out a little money

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
If you see an oil pressure needle go to zero vs eventually see the idiot light...might be a huge price difference in repairs
Oh yeah! This is the case where you don't want to see the needle move on that gauge!!:D

If this were my only mode of transportation I'd had already had gauges in there. I have them in the Cummins.

I've been researching on how to add the oil pressure gauge, looks like there are a couple of options.

But it has taken a backseat to that regular maintenance thing you were talking about:cool:

Hawkins2015

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Jetta , 00 Jetta
Here is my set-up. Like I said, it is by no means professional. Black pod on tan pillar, attached by a couple carefully placed screws. If it ever has to come off to replace gauges or anything, I'm going to try some Velcro tape.

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
I think there is a plug on the passenger side of the oil perch that you can use

I'm interested for a future oil pressure gauge of my own because the idiot light is horrible

sriracha

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon 5mt, 1982 Rabbit truck (gas)
Just wondering, should there be any safety concerns about mounting pillar gauges on the A-pillar, in the unfortunate event of airbag deployment?