Picture or diagram of the backside of a 1.9L TDI BRM Engine

b1mmuo27

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 5 speed
I am in the process of removing the cylinder head on my 2006 Jetta. I thought I caught everything but something on the backside is still hooked to the head. I can"t see anything from my vantage points. Thanks

narongc73

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Look from the bottom, between the subframe and engine, you will see everything you need to see. I was just down there the other day.

b1mmuo27

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 5 speed
Thanks I have been under it all morning. The fact that the black oil is everywhere I'm still not sure what I'm looking at.

sptsailing

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta Manual, stock with Panzer Plate & Franko6 modified EGR cooler & CAM
The back of my BRM engine was like that once as well. It turns out that the valve cover gasket needs to be tightened occasionally, as it will become loose over time from vibration. Also, there are a lot of diagrams, photos and youtube videos of BRM engines out there. Looking at a number of them might be helpful.

mu3098

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 VW Jetta TDI, 2011 VW Golf Wagon TDI
There is a small screw on the back corner (timing belt side) that holds the plastic cover on that is between the timing belt and engine. There should be a hole in the exhaust manifold gasket to access that screw.

b1mmuo27

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 5 speed
Thanks but the only problem I"m having is the oil tube coming up from the block to the turbo. I Can"tee the size of the nut holding the bracket onto the turbo plus accessing the 2 nuts on the bottom of the turbo. I think I have everything else needed to be disconnected to remove the head with the exhaust & turbo. I have the battery & tray removed to try & access it...

b1mmuo27

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 5 speed
Got the head off ok with the turbo. Turns out the head gasket has been leaking oil.

b1mmuo27

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 5 speed
I don't know why you don't think head gaskets can't leak. Seen lots of them in my life.

narongc73

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
On a BRM, haven't seen or heard of it happening. Wouldn't it be hard to prove since you already took it off? If you pulled the whole engine sure. I have seen head gaskets fail where coolant leaked out, but not oil. Anything is possible.

b1mmuo27

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 5 speed
No disrespect but the head gaskest doesn't lie. The oil wasn't on the back of the head from the valve cover, it was on the block from the bottom of the head down the back of the block. This is the first car I have owed in a long time. I have always had trucks & they were diesels.

ed cas

TDI
mk 5 1.9l
im trying to swap out a dual mass clutch with a traditional race one.. how you took the head off with out the eng/trans assembly really stumps me.... i had to take out the front end.. turns out this motor will not come out topside..lol...