Phone calls

DIESEL DAZZLER

Veteran Member
TDI
81VW TDI PU,94 GOLF TDI,97 PASSAT TDI,03 ,06 JETTA TDI's,KABOTA DIESEL LAWNMOWER
I work at a local independent import repair shop. Person called and asked for a 19.95$ oil change on her 06 Jetta TDI,can you do this for me,no we can not.She was tired of paying for synthetic oil changes at the dealer.
She was calling around to see if there is someone out there to give her a cheap oil change.
Do people read their manuals or ask the proper questions anymore?
Makes you shake your head .:eek:

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta

DIESEL DAZZLER said:

Read the manual? Follow the mfr's recommendation? Why :confused: :D That would be un-American!

REDNECKDZL

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, 2015 Jetta, 1984 Wabbit TD, 1986 RX7 waiting on AHU swap
I'm sure if she bought her own oil and took it to a non vw dealer they would do it, but she's probably not interested in doing the leg work.

i pity the poor car

wildkitty

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
My car, off lease, in 3 years... had two oil changes done... and they were both done with non-synthetic oil.

When I did its first REAL oil change, the lights went all on and I had to go to the dealer to clear all the codes. They were pretty dumbfounded. I was pretty pissed.

"All maintenance was done like clockwork, eh?"

wildkitty

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
My baby's in tip top shape right now :D she's a spoiled one that one... with the exception of the clutch LOL

streeker02

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf TDI
DIESEL DAZZLER said:
I work at a local independent import repair shop. Person called and asked for a 19.95$ oil change on her 06 Jetta TDI,can you do this for me,no we can not.She was tired of paying for synthetic oil changes at the dealer.
She was calling around to see if there is someone out there to give her a cheap oil change.
Makes you shake your head .:eek:
We get this ALL THE TIME. Kinda laughed when I read your post, I thought we were the only ones.......

BrianCT

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDI
REDNECKDZL said:
I'm sure if she bought her own oil and took it to a non vw dealer they would do it, but she's probably not interested in doing the leg work.

i pity the poor car
If she ordered the correct engine oil and filtre on line from Brian at Roseland it would still be more then $19.95 before labour.:(

What's it cost for an oil service change at a dealership in your neighborhood? I've never been to a dealership with any of our cars for this maintenance, so ...I couldn't tell you in comparison.

I assume expensive.

BrianCT

Tsagoth

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon Automatic
BrianCT said:
What's it cost for an oil service change at a dealership in your neighborhood?
Just the oil change is $74.99 at the dealer. With the inspection it runs $159.99.

The 64K service, which is oil + all filters and inspection runs $510.99.

BrianCT

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDI
Tsagoth said:
Just the oil change is $74.99 at the dealer. With the inspection it runs $159.99.

WOW!:eek:

honda_vtec2

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf ALH tdi, 1997 Jetta 1z tdi
Tsagoth said:
Hi, does this inspection service include anything else. 510.99 seems pretty high for just a 64k service. I've never stepped into a dealership yet, so not familiar with what's involved with this service. Other than what i read on this thread.

Oil,Fuel,Air,Cabin Filter +Inspection....Sounds like it would be a hard sell at that price.

Tsagoth

Veteran Member
TDI
honda_vtec2 said:
Hi, does this inspection service include anything else. 510.99 seems pretty high for just a 64k service. I've never stepped into a dealership yet, so not familiar with what's involved with this service. Other than what i read on this thread.

Oil,Fuel,Air,Cabin Filter +Inspection....Sounds like it would be a hard sell at that price.
I guess there are some extras that I forget about. The invoice says:

Replace Oil & Filter. Check Timing Belt. Replace Air Filter, Replace Fuel Filter, Rotate Tires, Replace Pollen Filter, On Board Diagnostic Check. Flush Brake Fluid Plus Full Inspection.

Parts: $192.99
Labour: $306.00
Env Fees 12.00

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
OMG :eek:

$306 dollars labour for about 1 hours worth of work.

Oil change: 15 minutes
Pollen filter change: 5 minutes
Smoke break: 5 minutes
Air filter change: 5 minutes
fuel filter change: 5 minutes
Tire rotation: 15 minutes
Diagnostic scan: 5 minutes

Total: 1 hour

OK, maybe add an extra 30 min for a general once over of the entire vehicle. I think they also wash the cars at he dealerships too. But 3 hours is way too much for a 64k service.

The parts prices are, of course, overinflated as well. They can be bought from any retailer like Precision Tuning for around $110 ($70 for parts & $40 for good oil). Anyone with minimal skills can do this themselves for around $125 taxes in. To get it done at an indipendant add about $100 for a total of $225. But this service at a dealer should cost about $300 and not a penny more.

Last edited:

Tsagoth

Veteran Member
TDI
Wingnut said:
OMG :eek:

$306 dollars labour for about 1 hours worth of work.

Oil change: 15 minutes
Pollen filter change: 5 minutes
Air filter change: 5 minutes
fuel filter change: 5 minutes
Tire rotation: 15 minutes
Diagnostic scan: 5 minutes

Total: 1 hour
You must not have enough smoke breaks, and I think you left off lunch, because it's billed as 3.60 hours.

edit: I take exception to that 15 minute tire rotation. Without a hoist, it takes me a damn sight longer than 15 minutes to swap all four wheels with a floor jack. Maybe the dealer should bill 15 minutes, but I don't see DIY doing it in that time.

edit edit: You left out time to flush the brake fluid too.

Last edited:

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
Tsagoth said:
..... edit: You left out time to flush the brake fluid too.
You're absolutely correct. I missed that in your reply. My appologies. Add an aditional 30 minutes to the job for that.

As for tire rotation, of course the dealer, or any shop for that matter, would have a hoist. The times I quoted were not DIY times, but what it actually takes a tech to do the work. I could do it in 10 minutes if I had a hoist. The filters can all be changed in 3-4 minutes to be more precise as well, but I added several minutes to all of the tasks to round up to the nearest 5 (4=5, 13=15, etc.). I actually rounded down the smoke break, because at the price of smokes these days, most people I know who smoke drag them to the filter, so they can take up to 6 min to smoke ;).

Tsagoth

Veteran Member
TDI
I went back in the stack and interestingly enough the cost is unchanged since the first one in Feb '06. Although the labour rate was $96/hr then and is currently $110/hr, the package price is fixed at $306/3.6 hours as is the parts price. Based on their current rate, the labour portion should be $396.

I wonder how high the $/hr for tech time will have to go before they up the price. Based on known dealer avarice, I'm rather surprised they haven't jacked it up already. No wonder they know me on sight at that place.