Phoenix area TDI owners, post if you're still here

snoopy smiles

TDI
B4 and Touareg
I was active in the mid-2000's and we used to have GTG's several times a year. Usually cleaning intakes, installing performance parts, adding train horns (@jamest, @azbioguy, @rmorgan?). We even had a separate "Arizona TDIClub" forum, which became "Southwest TDIClub" (and faded away). Memories.

Anyway, I'm guessing it's a whole new owner base on here now as all my TDI friends have ditched their TDI's while I'm on my 5th. Dieselgate seemed to have been the nail in the coffin for the old guard.

So...who else is here, and what part of the valley are you in? Anyone with VCDS?
east of Tucson in Vail, so somewhat close to Phoenix. Have a B4 TDI Passat - looking for another tdi

05MK4TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Volkswagen Jetta BEW
I was active in the mid-2000's and we used to have GTG's several times a year. Usually cleaning intakes, installing performance parts, adding train horns (@jamest, @azbioguy, @rmorgan?). We even had a separate "Arizona TDIClub" forum, which became "Southwest TDIClub" (and faded away). Memories.

Anyway, I'm guessing it's a whole new owner base on here now as all my TDI friends have ditched their TDI's while I'm on my 5th. Dieselgate seemed to have been the nail in the coffin for the old guard.

So...who else is here, and what part of the valley are you in? Anyone with VCDS?
Just picked up my 2005 Volkswagen Jetta BEW PD 5 speed in January 2021! I've done very minor mods, but I'm going to Tuning Gruppe in mesa and getting a mild tune on it soon! I'm super excited! as far as emissions go, do you think I can pass Maricopa county emissions with a full straight pipe, EGR delete, and a mild tune?

snoopy smiles

TDI
B4 and Touareg
Just picked up my 2005 Volkswagen Jetta BEW PD 5 speed in January 2021! I've done very minor mods, but I'm going to Tuning Gruppe in mesa and getting a mild tune on it soon! I'm super excited! as far as emissions go, do you think I can pass Maricopa county emissions with a full straight pipe, EGR delete, and a mild tune?
I am in the Tucson area. A get together sounds wonderful. I would like to connect with others who know what to do on a TDI - and how to do it. I would like to have a B4 or B4v tdi.

Vwkaferman

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
I passed in Mesa this year with a stage IV Malone tune (2003 ALH). The tech 100% checked that I still had a cat on so I have a feeling you won’t pass if you straight pipe. They’re getting wise.

Have also seen a mobile emissions testing van on the side of the road.Testing cars as they pass through the sensors, not sure if the EPA smackdown is around the corner…

James

05MK4TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Volkswagen Jetta BEW
I passed in Mesa this year with a stage IV Malone tune (2003 ALH). The tech 100% checked that I still had a cat on so I have a feeling you won’t pass if you straight pipe. They’re getting wise.

Have also seen a mobile emissions testing van on the side of the road.Testing cars as they pass through the sensors, not sure if the EPA smackdown is around the corner…

James
shoot well…. i passed mesa emissions in apache junction off of iron wood earlier this year in january. i had a muffler delete and they didn’t care. they didn’t check either to see if i had my cat or any emissions devices. they just revved it a couple times and then passed me through. i want to get a proper 3 inch exhaust with a muffler and a cat but they’re so expensive and it’s not a priority. when they emissions checked me they attached a sniffer and an obdii scanner to check for codes. i head that location is lenient and especially with diesels so that’s why i went there

Vwkaferman

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
05MK4TDI, interesting, I might have to go there. I usually go to the one up near Greenfield and McKellips. I'll have to try that one in AJ. Muffler delete shouldn't be a problem as turbo's are considered "mufflers" ;). It's just the other stuff I think they're going to start turning screws on.

James

Drewser

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Jetta TDI Wagon, '04 Passat TDI, '03 Jetta TDI Wagon, several more in past
So I connected with an independent TDI mechanic a little over a month ago. We had great conversations, he's been doing it for a long time. He was scheduled to come out and work on a couple of my cars, confirmed the day before, and then never showed up. His phone number has gone to voicemail ever since with no reply to text messages. Huge bummer, but more importantly I'm a little worried something happened to him.

Vwkaferman

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Drewser, what that the guy who had a post on Craigslist? Had a picture of a Golf IV I believe and an easy up pop up for shade? I had inquired about him too if the same guy, was wondering.

Someone recently posted a couple of places up in Prescott. If we don't have any trusted here in the valley may just have to get the car up there.

James

AverageAndy

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2013 Golf TDI 6MT, 2013 Jetta TDI 6MT (R.I.P.)
...the guy who had a post on Craigslist? Had a picture of a Golf IV I believe and an easy up pop up for shade?
I used this guy (Daniel) just after Christmas last year to help verify my timing belt change. It did take a little while to connect as he was rebuilding an engine for someone out of state. He usually would respond by text within same day. At that time, mobile mechanic was his full-time profession and he did a great job on my TDI. Hope this is not the same guy.

Drewser

Veteran Member
TDI
Drewser, what that the guy who had a post on Craigslist? Had a picture of a Golf IV I believe and an easy up pop up for shade? I had inquired about him too if the same guy, was wondering.

Someone recently posted a couple of places up in Prescott. If we don't have any trusted here in the valley may just have to get the car up there.

James
Yeah, think so. I found him on Craigslist. He was super responsive, we had several conversations. Certified diesel mechanic, getting ready to open his own shop. Then he just disappeared. Name was Daniel. Really seems like something tragic happened. I still call his number every once in a while and it still goes straight to voicemail.

Drewser

Veteran Member
TDI
I used this guy (Daniel) just after Christmas last year to help verify my timing belt change. It did take a little while to connect as he was rebuilding an engine for someone out of state. He usually would respond by text within same day. At that time, mobile mechanic was his full-time profession and he did a great job on my TDI. Hope this is not the same guy.
Unfortunately, appears to be the same guy. I've searched news, obits, etc. but don't know his last name (hard to understand on his VM).

AverageAndy

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2013 Golf TDI 6MT, 2013 Jetta TDI 6MT (R.I.P.)
Last text I got from him was on 1/7/22, he gave me a virtual business card as he had opened "Diesel By Filice, LLC." Last name is obviously Filice, middle name James. I couldn't find anything on obituaries, but I did find a speeding violation with an arraignment date of 3/16/22, which was diverted to 4/13/22. so hopefully that means he is still alive. He was very honest and straight forward with me, so maybe just temporary personal issues?

Drewser

Veteran Member
TDI
Last text I got from him was on 1/7/22, he gave me a virtual business card as he had opened "Diesel By Filice, LLC." Last name is obviously Filice, middle name James. I couldn't find anything on obituaries, but I did find a speeding violation with an arraignment date of 3/16/22, which was diverted to 4/13/22. so hopefully that means he is still alive. He was very honest and straight forward with me, so maybe just temporary personal issues?
Yeah, my last text was 2/2. Was supposed to be at my house the morning of 2/3. He was a straight shooter so something had to have happened. Maybe the speeding violation was on top of something else? What I liked most about him is that he was going to do a bunch of troubleshooting for me and then allow me to fix what I could myself. Here's hoping it's just a blip and he's back soon.

SilverCard

TDI
2011 Gold TDI
I rather let someone work on it before taking it to a shop which I dont mind but I always have had great experiences working with people that do it on the side and what not.

Drewser

Veteran Member
TDI
I rather let someone work on it before taking it to a shop which I dont mind but I always have had great experiences working with people that do it on the side and what not.
Agreed. Plus, most side mechanics have a little more specialty knowledge, something I miss at big name mechanics :(

borninabus

Veteran Member
TDI
-2013 JSW 6MT- -2006 Jetta DSG-
i use autobahn motorwerks @ 19ave / peoria area for anything i don't want to do myself. great dudes and very TDI fluent. will be taking my newly aquired BRM jetta there shortly for some pretty major work.

@Drewser
any of those B5 parts of use to you?

Drewser

Veteran Member
TDI
i use autobahn motorwerks @ 19ave / peoria area for anything i don't want to do myself. great dudes and very TDI fluent. will be taking my newly aquired BRM jetta there shortly for some pretty major work

@Drewser
any of those B5 parts of use to you?
Haven't used any yet but they are all organized in my garage!

And I've used Autobahn too... specifically Derek who used to run Exklusiv. But it's a haul and a half for me. Light rail goes close though so that's a bonus.

bl3rff

TDI
CKRA
Haven't used any yet but they are all organized in my garage!

And I've used Autobahn too... specifically Derek who used to run Exklusiv. But it's a haul and a half for me. Light rail goes close though so that's a bonus.
SO Derek doesn't run Exklusiv anymore?

Drewser

Veteran Member
TDI
SO Derek doesn't run Exklusiv anymore?
So from what I understand, and I'm vague on details, Derek merged Exklusiv with Autobahn years ago. Worked for them for a while, then moved out of state. Then he moved back and went back to working for Autobahn. Had him replace my timing belt maybe 2 years ago there. No idea what's happened since... No reason to think he's not so there. But last I knew, Exklusiv no longer exists as an independent entity. Perhaps sometime else with more experience can shed more light on it?

For what it's worth, he did a great job on the timing belt for half the cost of anyone else. If I was him, I'd raise the price ;)

bl3rff

TDI
CKRA
So from what I understand, and I'm vague on details, Derek merged Exklusiv with Autobahn years ago. Worked for them for a while, then moved out of state. Then he moved back and went back to working for Autobahn. Had him replace my timing belt maybe 2 years ago there. No idea what's happened since... No reason to think he's not so there. But last I knew, Exklusiv no longer exists as an independent entity. Perhaps sometime else with more experience can shed more light on it?

For what it's worth, he did a great job on the timing belt for half the cost of anyone else. If I was him, I'd raise the price ;)
Hmm, interesting. I'll never do business with or around him again ever. Though he was a very good mechanic, he is shady.

Drewser

Veteran Member
TDI
Hmm, interesting. I'll never do business with or around him again ever. Though he was a very good mechanic, he is shady.
Yeah, I know the stories (1 big one in particular). Just never been my experience, nor several good friends of mine. We've all been happy with his work.

However, lately I've been growing my own skills with a few engine swaps and timing belts, so not likely to make the drive to northern Phoenix again.

Vwkaferman

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
And a windshield shade. At my last company we had a salesman move here from Iowa and had no idea what a windshield shade was lol, figured it out quick.

All of our cars have have Covercraft sun screens. Pricey but solid and will last forever if you’re kind to them.

Welcome to the Valley!!

James

borninabus

Veteran Member
TDI
-2013 JSW 6MT- -2006 Jetta DSG-
derek has moved to Tennessee AFAIK. seen and talked to him a few times when i first went there. michael & chris have been nothing but awesome. they've got my BRM is up and running and are making sure its roadworthy for my daughter.

TDiFrontier

TDI
2006 Jetta 1.9 TDI, 2010 Jetta 2.0 TDI
I guess I should add, take what you need/want for free. It is going to the junkyard in 2 weeks. No engine, wiring harness, hood, front left fender, front bumper, or headlights. The body panels are straight and color is white.

katrinaphx

TDI
2011 Golf
Hi my name is Katrina and I live in the west valley, Glendale area. I've been interested in buying a tdi for a while now, just waiting for the right one to come along. I've found one that looks promising and was wondering if there is anyone that has VCDS that wouldn't mind meeting up with me to check out the car? I've been reading these forums for a while and have a basic knowledge of what to look for but any advice would also be appreciated.