Phoenix area TDI owners, post if you're still here

Drewser

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Jetta TDI Wagon, '04 Passat TDI, '03 Jetta TDI Wagon, several more in past
I was active in the mid-2000's and we used to have GTG's several times a year. Usually cleaning intakes, installing performance parts, adding train horns (@jamest, @azbioguy, @rmorgan?). We even had a separate "Arizona TDIClub" forum, which became "Southwest TDIClub" (and faded away). Memories.

Anyway, I'm guessing it's a whole new owner base on here now as all my TDI friends have ditched their TDI's while I'm on my 5th. Dieselgate seemed to have been the nail in the coffin for the old guard.

So...who else is here, and what part of the valley are you in? Anyone with VCDS?

x1800MODMY360x

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
I'm a first time TDI owner and new user. Just got the car a couple weeks ago and signed up today.

I'm also in the Mesa/Queen Creek area.

Vwkaferman

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Just joined myself. Just picked up a 2003 Jetta Wagon manual. Needs a bit of TLC. Supposedly has a Malone Stage IV tune but I’m doubtful. It does scoot pretty well and if I floor it, it definitely blows smoke. Just bought out in CA (out here for work) amd will be driving it back to Mesa this week. Biggest fear is it passing emissions.

James

Drewser

Veteran Member
TDI
Just joined myself. Just picked up a 2003 Jetta Wagon manual. Needs a bit of TLC. Supposedly has a Malone Stage IV tune but I’m doubtful. It does scoot pretty well and if I floor it, it definitely blows smoke. Just bought out in CA (out here for work) amd will be driving it back to Mesa this week. Biggest fear is it passing emissions.

James
An early ALH Jetta wagon with 5 speed is kind of a unicorn! That's a great find!

Emissions is pretty simple, especially if it was registered in CA. They just hook a hose up to your tailpipe and floor it. It takes a lot of black smoke to fail. If you want to be extra certain, put a tank of biodiesel in and get it flowing through the engine first. Congrats on the purchase!

Vwkaferman

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
An early ALH Jetta wagon with 5 speed is kind of a unicorn! That's a great find!

Emissions is pretty simple, especially if it was registered in CA. They just hook a hose up to your tailpipe and floor it. It takes a lot of black smoke to fail. If you want to be extra certain, put a tank of biodiesel in and get it flowing through the engine first. Congrats on the purchase!
Sorry to clog up this thread, I daily my truck and am unaware on where to find biodiesel, where do I find it, or is this one of those make at home things (has always intrigued me)?

James

Drewser

Veteran Member
TDI
Sorry to clog up this thread, I daily my truck and am unaware on where to find biodiesel, where do I find it, or is this one of those make at home things (has always intrigued me)?

James
It's good for a Phoenix thread :)

I haven't bought it in a long time but used to get it at Western States Petroleum in downtown Phoenix. That was almost 15 years ago though...

Edit: here you go! http://www.drivebiodiesel.net/State/ArizonaBiodiesel.html

Vwkaferman

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Wow, will have to check this out. I've got a LOT of reading to do. This car definitely needs a coolant flush. It ain't pink. I'm worried about the heater core, but have survived 8 years or so with my truck without one, albeit have frozen a few times on road trips.

Let's try this, I sure do miss Photobucket pic hosting. Here she is. She's definitley too low in the back. Looks like it's hauling a load of gravel. Unknown coilovers, but for now at least I can even the ride out. If it stay's this low, I definitely need to get an oil pan skid plate.

*Edit* She's definitely a 10 footer, but for a car going on 20 years, I'm ok with that. She's pretty straight.

James

Drewser

Veteran Member
TDI
Wow, will have to check this out. I've got a LOT of reading to do. This car definitely needs a coolant flush. It ain't pink. I'm worried about the heater core, but have survived 8 years or so with my truck without one, albeit have frozen a few times on road trips.

Let's try this, I sure do miss Photobucket pic hosting. Here she is. She's definitley too low in the back. Looks like it's hauling a load of gravel. Unknown coilovers, but for now at least I can even the ride out. If it stay's this low, I definitely need to get an oil pan skid plate.

*Edit* She's definitely a 10 footer, but for a car going on 20 years, I'm ok with that. She's pretty straight.

James
It looks great! We have an 04 wagon, though has a slush box. Fun fact... Rear shocks can be replaced without removing the wheels, at just with stock wheels. Jack it up a bit and pop them off, pop new ones on. Maybe that's all it needs? Though that low maybe the springs are shot...

Vwkaferman

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
It has adjustable coilovers on all four corners. So I should be able to adjust the ride height. I was lucky, he included the tools. I imagine I need to get it off the ground, remove the wheels, make adjustments, reverse, measure and go from there. :)

I'm really interested in what the past owner put on. I'm not "huge" in the neon community, but I've been around a bit and the word "Raceland Coilovers" usually doesn't fit well with the folks that know how to set up those cars for Auto-X. Hell, maybe I'm just getting old and am totally wrong.

Eh, hope it's ok, here's my garage queen. Picked it up with 72,XXX miles a few years back out of Woodland, CA. Saw it at a Mom and Pop used car lot, couldn't believe it, a CLEAN R/T? Bought it bone stock from that dealer, drove it back to AZ. Put on Mopar XX rate springs, Koni adjustable yellows, found neon "Trunk Kit" wheels (pictured), mopar ECU, underdrive main pulley and an Iceman Air intake. It's not "fast" but it's really fun to drive.

James

borninabus

Veteran Member
TDI
-2013 JSW 6MT- -2006 Jetta DSG-
i'm here :)
running grand ave from 75th to 15th ave twice a day.
prescott & back every other weekend

borninabus

Veteran Member
TDI
-2013 JSW 6MT- -2006 Jetta DSG-
abouts...haha.
decided that i'm not going to be a slave to the numbers.
i just drive it and fill up when i need to ;)

AverageAndy

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2013 Golf TDI 6MT, 2013 Jetta TDI 6MT (R.I.P.)
Just found this thread as I usually stay in the B7 forum. I'm in Chandler, DD car with 60+ miles roundtrip, only fill up every 2 weeks, getting 41-45mpg at 125,xxx miles. We bought the car as a dealer demo, so single owner!

Ragdude

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 VW Golf SEL TDi
I'm in N/W valley, I have a co. truck and wife works from home so my car's don't get a lot of miles put on them thankfully. Should last me a LONG time.

Ragdude

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 VW Golf SEL TDi
It's good for a Phoenix thread :)

I haven't bought it in a long time but used to get it at Western States Petroleum in downtown Phoenix. That was almost 15 years ago though...

Edit: here you go! http://www.drivebiodiesel.net/State/ArizonaBiodiesel.html
Western States Petroleum is the only place I know you can buy 100% biodiesel, though a lot of pumps are up to a 20% blend, which works for me. I got tired of the 100% eating up the fuel lines on my '96 7.3 powerstroke.

Drewser

Veteran Member
TDI
Western States Petroleum is the only place I know you can buy 100% biodiesel, though a lot of pumps are up to a 20% blend, which works for me. I got tired of the 100% eating up the fuel lines on my '96 7.3 powerstroke.
I had the same issue on my TDI years ago when I first started running B100 (like 2006... Same time ULSD was coming out and causing similar issues). Tow truck showed up and said "your car smells like soy beans" lol

Ragdude

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 VW Golf SEL TDi
I had the same issue on my TDI years ago when I first started running B100 (like 2006... Same time ULSD was coming out and causing similar issues). Tow truck showed up and said "your car smells like soy beans" lol
I went thru on roadside fuel check back when I was running 100%, guy stuck the tank looked at the sample and asked; biodiesel? I replied yes, he said good for you, have a nice day.

Drewser

Veteran Member
TDI
I went thru on roadside fuel check back when I was running 100%, guy stuck the tank looked at the sample and asked; biodiesel? I replied yes, he said good for you, have a nice day.
Nice. What's roadside fuel check?

Ragdude

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 VW Golf SEL TDi
It's been a few years now, but they had a lane out in the west valley on Glendale Ave where all diesels had to pull over to make sure you're not running off-road diesel on the road.

Drewser

Veteran Member
TDI
It's been a few years now, but they had a lane out in the west valley on Glendale Ave where all diesels had to pull over to make sure you're not running off-road diesel on the road.
Wow, that's crazy! Never knew that!

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
Checking in from Moon Valley neighborhood here. Who's got the gtg? Where we going?

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
I’m a little north in Dewey, but get down that way occasionally. Still running the B4v with 6 speed addition. It’s great for the highway. I have a VCDS.

im in for a GTG.

Last edited:

AverageAndy

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2013 Golf TDI 6MT, 2013 Jetta TDI 6MT (R.I.P.)
Anyone here with CKRA and have done timing belt already? I getting ready to do mine (first time doing a belt) and would love any tips/tricks. Also, where do I find the proper tightening specs (torque, tighten + X degrees, etc.) for the bolts I'm replacing. I will not be removing the motor mounts. I have viewed the DG video a few times, any others you recommend? Thanks!

mulepic

TDI
Audi Q7
Just joined and took delivery this week of a 2014 Audi Q7 TDI Prestige with air suspension. We got this car b/c we want to tow our 6k lbs. travel trailer. I did the first test yesterday from the valley up to Payson. It did just fine, 65mph the whole way and 60 on that last 10m hill into town. 9.6mpg on the way up and 11.5 round trip. But it was only 75 degrees not the 110 like July... so the jury is still out.

The air suspension is really the star of the show. We've gone through several tow vehicles: 7.2L Excursion, 6.2L H2, 2019 Expedition Platinum, and now the Q7. The Q7 is more stable than the Expedition (even w/ weight distr. hitch) and about as stable as the H2. The Q7 pulls stronger than the H2 and Excursion.

I used the torque app to monitor temperatures and everything behaved nicely. But I could not monitor the Tranny temp (even thought the app says it has it). The tranny temp and coolant temp were reading in lock-step so that's why I think it wasn't truly the tranny temp.

I'd post a picture but this forum requires me to host it somewhere...old school.

Anyway, there are a lot of Audi/VW forums. I'm trying to figure out the best one w/ the most info.

BKmetz

Administrator, Member #10
Staff member
TDI
2015 Passat, titanium beige, 6MT
My son lives on the West side, between Buckeye and Litchfield park. He does his own oil changes and basic routines. At some point he will need to do a DSG service. That can be a tricky DIY without a lift to keep the car level or with one person. The last time he had a DSG service done was at the Avondale Auto Mall. He's not on the forums because all he has to do is call me and I can answer anything he needs to know. ;)