Leo819

Veteran Member
TDI
Thomas C2 School Bus

ofhs93

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GL, 99.5, Silver
YES!!!...Philly Philly Philly....it would be a nice easy ride for all of the MD/DC/Northern VA peeps (a large active group)...a short ride for the NYC peeps...and not TOO bad for the NE folks...(another large active group)heck they came down to MD for Impexfest so I'm sure they would go to Philly for TDIfest. Philly is nicely situated to be a fairly central spot for the east coast megalopolis...pretty much anywhere in NJ would work well also.

Leo819

Veteran Member
TDI
Thomas C2 School Bus
eXACTLY!!
Philly is a transportation hub on the east coast.

Hey, America Started Here
(hmmm something sounds familiar about that)

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
I think Philly would be great. You guys better move, the West Coast contingent looks like they're ahead of you.

L

GeWilli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none in the fleet (99.5 Golf RIP, 96 B4V sold)
i'll post this here:

How to have a successful Fest bid...

#1 ingredient: local group of folks who GTG on a regular basis in person.

IE Michigan, Toronto, New England...

If you don't have a group of people who are used to seeing each other and having gatherings on a scale more than two or three, it will be much more difficult.

I'm not saying its impossible, but organizing a fest bid and a fest can't be done over the internet effectibly... at least not until people sit down and talk together. the more people from your area that can get together - even if not all of them help - the more ideas and feed back you can get from the local guys the better.

But don't let that discourage you, organizing a fest can be a great way to establish a great group like the ones mentioned above.

#2 location (for success) good stuff going on around, things like brew tours and the like - things people can get into...

#3 drag race track

#4 some other competitive event (autocross, rally)

#5 show and shine where anyone using Zanio or other synthetic products that will make life murder for repainting and bodywork are deducted points wise

oooh

and not mandatory - but helpful is attending other TDIfests...

and mandatory - talk to as many past organizers as possible

That said - i'd love to see it in the Pa area (anywhere)

that or Ohio, DC, Maryland, Virginia... maybe up on the blueridge somewhere

tdipoet

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'11 Jetta TDI
agreed.

you gotta have a group willing to put a fest together who are located not much more than an hour tops from both each other and the fest location. and all the people in the world can suggest a location, but until a group actually gets together and makes a proposal, then really, the suggestions are all for moot.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
5-6 guys started talking about putting a bid in for a DC area Fest next year while at this years Fest Banquet.
They nearly came to blows just talking about it briefly...
You better have some real commited folks if you are really considering this.......

BeetleGo

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.
Mid-Atlantic? West Coast?

Stop teasing my bleepin' car. That 'roooooad triiiiiip' whisper my car emits is already distracting as it is.

Stop it!

Leo819

Veteran Member
TDI
Thomas C2 School Bus
Cool and Good.
I will PM ya later this afternoon. I might be ( weather pending) going to a vortex GTG in Deptford, Nj ( south jersey) that some TDIs show up, tonight. and try to recruit them.

Leo819

Veteran Member
TDI
Thomas C2 School Bus
Hmmm We must get cracking on this. Put our minds together. and write a Declaration of Independ....eerrr.....Tdifest in philly

acutally the train station to head into philly is about 5 min drive. Though... in some cases driving in to philly can be fun.... Kelly drive for sure.

One thing philly area has to offer scenic drives

The valley forge convention center has a great parking lot for an auto-x set up. Though, The park ridge hotel I mentioned earlier has a quad/court set up with the pool in the middle. it's very festive there.

PArking lot is big, but there is a movie cimena near by with a large lot/ or we could get lockheed/martin to use theirs
(wishful thinking maybe)

I am going to make rounds this weekend getting information about the local areas.

yamsTDi

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Platnium Gray
This may be a long shot, but why not having next years fest on a different holiday weekend...like around 4th of July? This way people will still have that extra day off for the fest.

Just a thought. It would work out a lot better for me and may be also some other members that will be attending.

Rammstein

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 92 D
This may be a long shot, but why not having next years fest on a different holiday weekend...like around 4th of July? This way people will still have that extra day off for the fest.

Just a thought. It would work out a lot better for me and may be also some other members that will be attending.
The main reason is that us Canadian don't have the 4th off.

It's a Canadian website afterall...

Labor day is all good because everybody has off.

Leo819

Veteran Member
TDI
Thomas C2 School Bus
I think a GTG in order here in Valley Forge... There is usually a FAll GTG in PA, we'll have it in Valley Forge and I will host it. since a oct 25th is the due date. I say let's have a GTG on the 2nd or 3rd of October.

Nb: I would call for Sept 25th but there is a GTG in OCMD plus H2o

blitzoid

Veteran Member
TDI
Blue '02 Golf GLS TDI
I might be able to show up for oct 2nd or 3rd.

I went to college not too far from you (Haverford) and my girlfriend is still there. I'm in the area often. In fact, i'll be there this saturday...

I'm not sure there's enough in the way of activity to make it all work, aside from the city itself, but that's a decent ways away. Closest track I know of is at least an hour's drive.

Personally, i'd rather do something that isn't just shopping. King of Prussia proudly claims to be the second largest mall in the country. The place scares me.

There are more fun little eateries and public parks out there than one could ever hope to visit. Driving further west along Lancaster Ave yields wonderfully diverse towns, and there's another national park (with a fishable lake, if you're licensed, IIRC) not too far away.

Finding a large parking lot should not be all that difficult.... industrial/commerical areas abound.

Leo819

Veteran Member
TDI
Thomas C2 School Bus
More reason to have a GTG and discuss all aspects of putting on a TDifest in this area. I agree, this area has alot to offer more then what is listed. Why it is a good idea to have a GTG to have ideas flowing and what's possible. I am only one person.

The nearest track would be Maple Grove, PA or Atco, NJ.

As for setting up a rally/Auto-x here in KOP would be fairly easy, as you mentioned.

ofhs93

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GL, 99.5, Silver
Just to add a little info...I can't attend any g2g the first 2 weekends of the month due to prior commitments...but I'm 2 hours away anyway so I'm not sure how much help I can be for you guys anyway...but if there is anything I can do to help from up here in the hinterlands just let me know...

Leo819

Veteran Member
TDI
Thomas C2 School Bus
I was supposed to get married in April 2005. It's been moved to September 24th, 2005.

Anyway, I love to put on a philly Tdifest, but I can't tackle two big events around the same time. I think philly is a great Town to hold such an event. I will try for 2006, if the Tdifest 2005 is not in the Mid Atlantic region.

Leo819

Veteran Member
TDI
Thomas C2 School Bus
even if it were april, you do NOT want to plan a wedding and a fest at the same time. no sir.
ummm...

It's my 2nd marriage. I reviewed my situation that is in front of me, and made a decision not to pursue the Tdifest anymore.

ofhs93

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GL, 99.5, Silver
See that...it's true...Women ruin everything hahah..I'm sorry I'm sure she is wonderfull..just had to drop that one in..it was too easy....ok..so hmm well we have one hell of a head start for 06 then I guess. It will be the first Fest of the official ULSD era! Perhaps we will have all moved on to better diesel offerings from a wider array of manufactures by then haha...VW better get thier dealerships'combined acts together before 06 or they are going to be in trouble.

Leo819

Veteran Member
TDI
Thomas C2 School Bus
HaHa true.... and I am dumb enough to get married again...D'oh!

Edit: I will get it tonight from the Fiancee, she lurks on here. Double D'oh!

Status
Not open for further replies.