Peugeot 305 diesel

christi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Peugeot 806, 607
This was my old car before I got my Passat. It has a 1905cc non-turbo IDI engine with 65bhp. Engine is transverse with a 5 speed transmission and front wheel drive. The rear suspension is very interesting, each trailing arm has a bell crank arrangement on the end of it. This pushed on a spring / damper unit which laid horizontally underneath the boot floor. This gave a very wide, flat load space with very little wheel arch, and no strut intrusion.
These cars are about Jetta size, but with better rear seat space.
My car had GTX alloy wheels and a RaceWare stud and nut kit, along with a GTX interior.

------------------
1996 Passat Tdi estate (wagon)
See my Passat / Peugeot page at www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Garage/5067/

jaydhall

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SE, 1999 NB, 1999.5 Jetta GLS, 2004 Jetta
What kind of MPG (US) and top speed does it have? It is a nice clean one. Do Peugeot have the steering wheel on the correct side?

christi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Peugeot 806, 607
Most Peugeots (including this one) are available with left hand drive or right hand drive.
I got about 43 or 44 mpg imperial (divide by 4.55 and multiple by 3.8 to get US mpg). I drive my cars hard, as a comparitor I get 47 mpg imperial from my Passat Tdi wagon.
Top speed is 95 mph which I verified a couple of times
. I found that it wouldn't go above 100 mph even down a steep hill, as the engine used to rev limit at 100 in top gear. I did drive my previous identical car on a quiet section of Autobahn once for three hours with the accelerator pedal rammed to the floor. Do that to a petrol engine and see how long it lasts...

[This message has been edited by christi (edited July 29, 1999).]

jaydhall

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SE, 1999 NB, 1999.5 Jetta GLS, 2004 Jetta
Thanks for the info.

While in Europe, I rented an Opel Vectra with a diesel in it. I also found out its max speed. At least four times. For a total time of about 1.5 hours. It was a lot of fun! Not as much zip as my TDI, but it is what convinced me to get one, so it has a place in my heart.

BTW, if you tried to dial a US 800 number from jolly old, what do you get? A message saying "nice try old chap, Scottish are we?" Or something like that? Thanks for the info if you know....