Pet barrier options...

G Men 08

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Golf 5 spd
I am in the process of turning my 4 door Golf into the perfect versatile vehicle. Hitch assembly is on its way.

My next idea is a barrier, or other options for my dog(s). 9 times out of 10 we would be traveling with just 1 pooch. Our largest k-9 friend is a 1 year old Great Pyranese moose, around 80lbs. The elder of them being a 30-40 lb Australian Shepherd.

We also have a two year old son with his car-seat so the entire backseat isn't an option for the dogs to roam.

What do you guys use? I am thinking of either a barrier to keep them in the hatch area. Or possibly some sort of cage where I can lay down the drivers side rear seat etc.

Steve-o

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
If you get one of those tension-fit barriers (usually tubular black metal), don't skimp to save some bucks. A lot of those barriers seem to be stamped out in the same cheap factory, but there are some better products out there. They're worth the additional coin. (I bought a cheap one but don't carry the dog often enough to fix it.)

tjsean0308

Veteran Member
TDI
MKIV wagon 5spd graphite blue
G-men 08, what did you end up getting? How did it hold up?

I have to move two cats cross country and the wife and I are looking for something that can let them have the run of the folded down back seat cargo area. Most of the ones I am seeing are either cheap mess that doesn't look like it really fits, or tubing that the cats could probably crawl right through or around. I am open to ideas.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Cats are easy, put them in small cages, cover as needed. For dogs that size, get a wagon or even a mini-bus

Liseed

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 2 door GOLF TDI; 2009 Touareg 3.0 TDI
I have done this with simple training.

Training the dog to stay in the back has worked well for me in the past.