[Personal Lesson] My experience with changing the oil cooler (CKRA)

Psilovybin

TDI
2006 VW Jetta TDI (03/2006) 1K BRM
TLDR; when changing the oil cooler on the CKRA, change the crankshaft sensor at the same time.

I had changed out the oil cooler on my sister's car back in August. Everything went well. Had a bit of trouble with the intercooler being in the way and getting it out of the way. Once that was done, oil cooler change was rather easy. That being said, fast forward to end of September and the car isn't starting on demand. Pulling the codes, getting engine speed sensor errors. After doing more diags and verifying cam sensor is ok (changed timing belt too in August), I've found the crank sensor is throwing erroneous data causing the engine to not start on demand but when it does start, it runs fine until you shut it off. In hindsight, I should've changed the crankshaft sensor while I was changing the oil cooler. Would've been easier then, now I have to take the intercooler back off.

Psilovybin

TDI
For anyone having this issue, I couldn't find any videos of the process so I'm going to share them with you to maybe help in diagnosis and repair of this sensor.

eugene89us

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Volkswagen Passat TDI SEL Premium
I look forward to seeing the process of repair if you plan to post that here, would be very helpful for sure. The video is very helpful to know what the symptoms are. Some of us here will probably have to deal with this ourselves. I did not even realize this was something that should have been changed and is prone to failure. I regret not changing the thermostat when I did my oil cooler, since it would all have been accessible. And when doing TB job, I decided against changing camshaft sensor. I guess both of these may come back to bite, but I am hopeful the car can last another 100k so I can do all that preventatively at next TB and oil cooler/thermostat jobs.

watatrp

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta tdi (gone) 2013 Passat SEL TDI
Very helpful. At least if it happens to me, I'll know the first place to start looking.

Psilovybin

TDI
I look forward to seeing the process of repair if you plan to post that here, would be very helpful for sure. The video is very helpful to know what the symptoms are. Some of us here will probably have to deal with this ourselves. I did not even realize this was something that should have been changed and is prone to failure. I regret not changing the thermostat when I did my oil cooler, since it would all have been accessible. And when doing TB job, I decided against changing camshaft sensor. I guess both of these may come back to bite, but I am hopeful the car can last another 100k so I can do all that preventatively at next TB and oil cooler/thermostat jobs.
Well, right now I'm trying to take the sensor out without taking the oil cooler out again. I'm aware that it will be easier but I don't want to run the risk of the oil cooler leaking because I took it off and back on again. But if I don't get the sensor out today, I'm going to have to take my chances and go back to removing the oil cooler again.

forrest resto`s

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 jetta tdi auto rc2 2013 passat tdi 2015 passat tdi auto 2011 jetta tdi nav. s'roof..man. dpf delete 1970 GTO JUDGE 520 HP
Uhh...no doubt about it.That's a problem!

Tom in PT

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat sedan - SOLD; 2013 Passat DSG; both purchased new
I have seen two different methods on how to get access to the oil cooler, one guy removed the intercooler as apparently you did, and another guy on YouTube apparently did not. Which way is easier? I am dreading having to do this at some point.

06bluebeetletdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Passat TDI SEL and '13 Beetle TDI
I just replaced the oil filter housing on mine too, i removed the intercooler, i did not see another option when i looked on youtube. After reassembling mine, there was a slight coolant leak from the oil filter housing, there are 4 triple square that hold the oil filter housing to the block, one is very difficult to reach with the intercooler installed (upper passenger side), so I’m not sure how you could remove that bolt with the intercooler installed, my triple square is about 3” long inserted into a 1/2” socket on a 3/8” ratchet, so maybe a smaller triple square would work to reach it. The worst part of the job was the hose clamps on the intercooler, some were difficult to get to, because of the angle they were positioned. I ended up removing the radiator fan assembly, it’s only 4 bolts and the wiring harness(the little red clip slides away from the connection, push it up with a screwdriver to get it to release).

Psilovybin

TDI
I have seen two different methods on how to get access to the oil cooler, one guy removed the intercooler as apparently you did, and another guy on YouTube apparently did not. Which way is easier? I am dreading having to do this at some point.
The intercooler is not bad to remove. The only problem with it is one of the clamps for the coolant is hard to get to to get a clamp tool on it. The clamp that's hard is the one close to the top on the left side of it looking from the front. The other two clamps can be gotten to from the bottom fairly easy. Then it's two torx screws at the bottom and the a 10 socket up near the throat and it just slides down. Take the fan skirt off and when taking the intercooler off be careful not rubbing the intercooler down the radiator. Or just take the radiator out if you are worried. Intercooler was really easy and it gives you great access to the oil cooler because there is a metal tab that sits in front of the screws for oil cooler you have to wrangle around. But yeah. Intercooler wasn't too bad. Maybe 10-15 min job or less

Psilovybin

TDI
I just replaced the oil filter housing on mine too, i removed the intercooler, i did not see another option when i looked on youtube. After reassembling mine, there was a slight coolant leak from the oil filter housing, there are 4 triple square that hold the oil filter housing to the block, one is very difficult to reach with the intercooler installed (upper passenger side), so I’m not sure how you could remove that bolt with the intercooler installed, my triple square is about 3” long inserted into a 1/2” socket on a 3/8” ratchet, so maybe a smaller triple square would work to reach it. The worst part of the job was the hose clamps on the intercooler, some were difficult to get to, because of the angle they were positioned. I ended up removing the radiator fan assembly, it’s only 4 bolts and the wiring harness(the little red clip slides away from the connection, push it up with a screwdriver to get it to release).
Oh yea.. so you know.

:). It's not a bad little job though. First time I did it I was stressing but now I can do it in my sleep

Psilovybin

TDI
Oh. Forgot to update. Car is now starting and running just fine. It wasn't the crank sensor. For some reason, timing had jumped a tooth. Got it back on timing (timing belt was replaced by me in August 22) and I didn't verify my marks properly. I'm just glad it didn't jump any more teeth. But now car is starting and running fine. Thank you all for replying and if anyone is having this problem, let me know, I'll help as much as I can.