Performancetdi.com ... anyone used them? They sell vnt17/22's

Problypropylene

TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon TDI 5-speed manual, '03 Jetta Wagon TDI auto
These guys keep posting on reddit in r/tdi about their vnt 17/22's (and larger). Seems like a decent deal, but I'm hesitant to purchase a turbo of questionable origin.

Here is what the reddit user u/tdiperformance says:
" These are hybrid turbos, like the video explains, they’re made from new parts made to fit different turbo models. You can’t get a new one from the factory since they don’t make them anymore, but essentially all the parts are new except the housings. "

Here is what their website says:
" All our turbos are made in the EU from new quality components, except the turbine andcompressor housing that are reman. All our turbochargers are fully balanced and the actuator is precisely calibrated, ready to install on your engine. "

So these are reman turbos with a new EU made (by who?) center housing and turbine/compressor wheels? Brand is listed as "Garett/Honeywell."

Part of me thinks I should just buy a legit garett vnt17 and be done with it, but I've always wanted a 17/22. Worth the risk? Anyone one here used their shop or is the shop itself on tdiclub?

Here is a link to their 17/22: https://performancetdi.com/shop/vnt17-22-turbo-mk4-alh-bew/

Problypropylene

TDI
Scrolling through this forum I found some users wondering the same thing about where the hybrid european turbos come from and I found the MuchBoost website also selling 17/22's: https://muchboost.com/product/gt1752v-hybrid-turbo-upgrade-1-9-2-0-tdi-vag-audi-seat-skoda-vw/

Much better price (+99euro shipping) and some users here have had good experiences with MuchBoost. How many options do we have for getting 17/22 turbos now? Frans from Dutch Auto was the only shop selling them last I checked (many years ago).

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Here is what their website says:
" All our turbos are made in the EU from new quality components, except the turbine and compressor housing that are reman. All our turbochargers are fully balanced and the actuator is precisely calibrated, ready to install on your engine. "
Not sure what parts are new. Seems that turbine and compressor housing is most of what makes up a turbo. Are the vanes new, or are they considered part of the compressor housing? The bearings? Actuator?

We stopped selling 17/22s because Garrett stopped making the GT20 turbo. That turbo housing was the cold side of a 17/22. Therefore, no more new 17/22s.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
Not sure what parts are new. Seems that turbine and compressor housing is most of what makes up a turbo. Are the vanes new, or are they considered part of the compressor housing? The bearings? Actuator?
If they call that a new unit, what's a reman/rebuilt classified as?

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
The PerformanceTDI website has a 18/56 also, but here is the kicker: they are using a VNT 20 cold side that are now out of production, what are they really using?

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta and 99.5 Golf, 2015 Passat TDI,BMW 2
Muchboost is a well known company in Europe previously known by other names, they have been reconstructing turbos for a while, I as a member here started dealing with them for a a few years now, all turbos that I bought from them are top notch, you can count that all internals are new (Not Chinese knock off) I'm still running with the 1st turbo I bought from them, it is still standing and no issues with it, I still have a heavy foot and racer, you just can't beat their quality period

Last edited:

Nickmix

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GL TDI
Why not email the company and ask them whatever questions you have? They responded quickly and answered my questions.

Last edited:

mrchill

TDIClub Enthusiast, Super Secret Diesel Ninja Vend
MASS! home of THE WORLD SERIES CHAMPION RED SOX! x
TDI
96 B4v red \ 98 Mk3 green\98 Mk3 Jetta black\ 99 Mk4 Jetta green x2\ 99 Mk4 Golf silver x2\ 99 Mk4 Jetta black\ 97 B4 sedan green\04 JSW gold\03 JSW silver
The 1752 hybrid had its day. It does work well, but like the vnt17, it has become effete. There are significantly better turbos for sale for reasonable pricing. Most of which are now available pnp for all engines. Muchboost is one such company with these choices. I'd consider a newer technology turbo, because while the old school 1752 hybrid works, the newer 1752 and larger are far and away better.

Boostlee

TDI
05 Jetta wagon
The 1752 hybrid had its day. It does work well, but like the vnt17, it has become effete. There are significantly better turbos for sale for reasonable pricing. Most of which are now available pnp for all engines. Muchboost is one such company with these choices. I'd consider a newer technology turbo, because while the old school 1752 hybrid works, the newer 1752 and larger are far and away better.

Are you talking about the VRK line with vband exhaust side?

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
Why not email the company and ask them whatever questions you have? They responded quickly and answered my questions.
Wish I was you. I asked these sorts of questions and never got an answer. Rebuilt with what? special modifications are???? Where the rebuild bits come from? No response. Would like some idea, as the GTD1752VRK looks quite tasty. Looks like just about a Cleveland delivered... :)

Douglas

justin71105

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon (BEW)
In a similar predicament with finding a turbo, looking at the Xman turbo options for my BEW.

They have an ALH version they list as 17/22 (GT1752MFS) £550 ($625) + shipping.

And then a BEW version which is the one I am looking at GT1752MFS listed as a 17/26 £500 ($568) + $65 shipping for me

Xman gets pretty great reviews on FB and multiple forums for the turbos he offers, emailed him last week on which one he recommended and he said the 17/26 would be ideal for what I explained.

Stock car- New IC and O-rings throughout, south bend stage 2 daily clutch, 3 bar map, stage 4 tune from Malone after turbo install and have room left to upgrade later on but still have excellent drive-ability right out of the gate.

Also looking at the VNT17 from Xman but the 17/26 I listed shows to pull down at a lower rpm like the Kerma 17/26 shows on its website but for a 1/3 of the price. New vs rebuilt pricing I would think

I can understand why they are cheaper here though, I am working in England now and there are TDi's everywhere. Back in the US you see a handful but over here there are probably 3 to 1 for diesels.

I did look at the gtb/gtd and everything in between but for the cost and upgrades needed to start, I will be happier with the GT options i am looking at now.

$1200-1300 for everything and be on the road ain't too bad, with about 50hp/80tq more than I have now and room for more if I wanted. Be just about to the power range that my MK7 Golf Tdi had or maybe a little more for an afternoon of work.

Last edited:
TDI
99 & 03 ALH
is the shop itself on tdiclub?
Yes, we are here. It is probably faster to contact us by email if you want a faster answer.

Hi, like stated on our website, everything is new except the manifold and compressor housing that are reman.
On the VNT17/22 turbo this includes the vanes, bearings, actuator, bolts, the complete CHRA, studs, and everything else that is not the compressor housing and manifold.
On our GTD units, this includes everything stated above and also the oil return lines, oil restrictor and water lines if the turbo is also watercooled.
We are proud of the high quality of our turbochargers, and this is why we put our money where our mouth is and we are offering a 12 months warranty on all our products.

I'd consider a newer technology turbo, because while the old school 1752 hybrid works, the newer 1752 and larger are far and away better.
Yes, we are aware of that. At first, we were only offering the GTD turbochargers, but some of our customers asked for more bolt-on hybrids.
So we added GT turbochargers in our lineup.

VRK are way better turbos that 17/52
We agree 100%.

Wish I was you. I asked these sorts of questions and never got an answer.
We are sorry to hear that, but we double-checked our email box and we have no emails from you ?
Did you email us at sales@performancetdi.com ?
We also have Instagram, Facebook and Reddit accounts. You can get in touch with us there if it is easier for you.

For any moderators/admin reading this, we have tried to submit the vendor application to no success after multiple tries via fax and email.
Please get in touch with us, we don't want to be against the forum's rules.

Last edited:

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
In a similar predicament with finding a turbo, looking at the Xman turbo options for my BEW.

They have an ALH version they list as 17/22 (GT1752MFS) £550 ($625) + shipping.

And then a BEW version which is the one I am looking at GT1752MFS listed as a 17/26 £500 ($568) + $65 shipping for me

Xman gets pretty great reviews on FB and multiple forums for the turbos he offers, emailed him last week on which one he recommended and he said the 17/26 would be ideal for what I explained.

Stock car- New IC and O-rings throughout, south bend stage 2 daily clutch, 3 bar map, stage 4 tune from Malone after turbo install and have room left to upgrade later on but still have excellent drive-ability right out of the gate.

Also looking at the VNT17 from Xman but the 17/26 I listed shows to pull down at a lower rpm like the Kerma 17/26 shows on its website but for a 1/3 of the price. New vs rebuilt pricing I would think

Kerma uses a 52mm compressor wheel and they want a core.

I can understand why they are cheaper here though, I am working in England now and there are TDi's everywhere. Back in the US you see a handful but over here there are probably 3 to 1 for diesels.

I did look at the gtb/gtd and everything in between but for the cost and upgrades needed to start, I will be happier with the GT options i am looking at now.

$1200-1300 for everything and be on the road ain't too bad, with about 50hp/80tq more than I have now and room for more if I wanted. Be just about to the power range that my MK7 Golf Tdi had or maybe a little more for an afternoon of work.

Problypropylene

TDI
Well now I've looked at the GTD1752VRK and I want one... a slightly bigger can of worms to install... mandatory EGR delete, v-band must be welded onto stock downpipe (or a custom down pipe must be fabbed). Even if I'm keeping power down to roughly 150hp~300lb/ft It looks like the spool time and efficiency are worth the bit of extra install trouble.

Problypropylene

TDI
On our GTD units, this includes everything stated above and also the oil return lines, oil restrictor and water lines if the turbo is also watercooled.
We are proud of the high quality of our turbochargers, and this is why we put our money where our mouth is and we are offering a 12 months warranty on all our products.
Thanks for posting! I see you have a sale happening until Nov 7th on your GTD turbos... now I'm looking at the GTD1752.

You said in the quoted post above that an oil restrictor is included, and the website says "Oil Feed Line With Oil Restrictor"... does this mean you included a braided or hard oil feed line with a restrictor? or is it just a restrictor and I would still need to purchase an oil feed line.

What other hard parts will I need to complete the install? Exhaust manifold gasket... oil return line gaskets?

I realize I will need an egr delete tune, v-band welded to downpipe, a way to attach inlet/outlet tubing to the compressor side, and supporting mods to reach my power goals.

TDI
99 & 03 ALH
I see you have a sale happening until Nov 7th on your GTD turbos... now I'm looking at the GTD1752.
Yes, the Austin Niemela GTD sale is happening until November 7th. The discount code is AUSTINGTD for 350$ off.

You said in the quoted post above that an oil restrictor is included, and the website says "Oil Feed Line With Oil Restrictor"... does this mean you included a braided or hard oil feed line with a restrictor? or is it just a restrictor and I would still need to purchase an oil feed line.
We apologize for the confusion, it was a mistake on the website. It is now corrected.

With our GTD1752vrk & GTD1756vrk turbochargers there is no oil feed line included.
Only our GTD2060vz unit has the oil feed line included alongside the water lines.
All our GTD turbochargers have the return line included.

What other hard parts will I need to complete the install? Exhaust manifold gasket... oil return line gaskets?
Yes, an exhaust manifold gasket and oil return line gasket will be necessary for the install, alongside the oil feed line like you previously stated.
You probably will only need half of it, but we sell a turbo gasket kit if you are interested.

Last edited:

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
Yes, the Austin Niemela GTD sale is happening until November 7th. The discount code is AUSTINGTD for 350$ off.

We apologize for the confusion, it was a mistake on the website. It is now corrected.

With our GTD1752vrk & GTD1756vrk turbochargers there is no oil feed line included.
Only our GTD2060vz unit has the oil feed line included alongside the water lines.
All our GTD turbochargers have the return line included.

Yes, an exhaust manifold gasket and oil return line gasket will be the necessary for the install, alongside the oil feed line like you previously stated.
You probably will only need half of it, but we sell a turbo gasket kit if you are interested.

HI,

Since you are answering alot of questions and many things can and are customized....

Is it possible to make a GTD type turbo be more bolt on .... i.e. delete the V band connector so it can bolt up to a stock alh downpipe , eliminate the clip on fitings so standard VNT 15 pipes can work ?

If that is possible to do , at what cost and is there a reason for not having it that way from the start if it is marketed to / or for ALH use?

Thanks.

Andrew

ecala001

Veteran Member
TDI
03 golf
Well now I've looked at the GTD1752VRK and I want one... a slightly bigger can of worms to install... mandatory EGR delete, v-band must be welded onto stock downpipe (or a custom down pipe must be fabbed). Even if I'm keeping power down to roughly 150hp~300lb/ft It looks like the spool time and efficiency are worth the bit of extra install trouble.
you mentioned a mandatory egr delete. why so? I wanted to keep mine if it's possible

TDI
99 & 03 ALH
great to know! also do you know what size inlet and outlet hose are needed to fit the ALH?
Of course. For the GTD1752vrk, the diameters are as follows:

Compressor Housing Inlet Diameter2.5''
Compressor Housing Outlet Diameter2''
Downpipe Diameter2.75''

You can find this information in the ''specification'' section of the product page.

Problypropylene

TDI
It is possible to keep an EGR port and/or EGT port if you want to keep it. You just have to mention it in the notes at checkout.

OK, that's awesome. Gotta order one now. No additional charge for EGR and EGT ports? Are these all made after I order, or do you stock these with various configurations -I'm wondering if processing time is added if I chose to keep the EGR & EGT ports?

TDI
99 & 03 ALH
OK, that's awesome. Gotta order one now. No additional charge for EGR and EGT ports? Are these all made after I order, or do you stock these with various configurations -I'm wondering if processing time is added if I chose to keep the EGR & EGT ports?
No additional charges for the ports.

There is no difference in processing time, because we keep in stock half of them with ports and half of them deleted.

We always end up having more orders for deleted ones, so the ones with ports end up being welded.

Escape.idiocracy

TDI
CR 2.0
No additional charges for the ports.

There is no difference in processing time, because we keep in stock half of them with ports and half of them deleted.

We always end up having more orders for deleted ones, so the ones with ports end up being welded.

Just as a supporting reference, I purchased a cr170 turbo from these folks a couple weeks ago. Their site chat- they were super responsive, answered all of my questions, and were Awesome about getting my turbo out to me! Literally had it mailed out same day- and not just “created a label”.

Awesome company, quality parts, would not hesitate to use them in the future!

Shipping from their location to WA took 5 business days total.

Thanks again for getting my package out to me asap! Wish I would have done the CR170 much sooner!

TDI
99 & 03 ALH
Just as a supporting reference, I purchased a cr170 turbo from these folks a couple weeks ago. Their site chat- they were super responsive, answered all of my questions, and were Awesome about getting my turbo out to me! Literally had it mailed out same day- and not just “created a label”.

Awesome company, quality parts, would not hesitate to use them in the future!

Shipping from their location to WA took 5 business days total.

Thanks again for getting my package out to me asap! Wish I would have done the CR170 much sooner!
Thanks, we're glad you're happy with our customer service! Don't hesitate to send us an email/chat if you need anything else!