Performance

jmonste141

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI S 6MT; 2009 Jetta TDI DSG
The C setting is the maximum setting. All in all there are 12 settings. I am totally stoked with the power I get on C
The website pricing is in Canadian $ so it is 20% less in USD.
Well, I decided to go in and buy it to see for myself what awesomeness awaits! I will keep everyone here posted with results as I use it! :D

SVG

TDI
2015 Golf SEL TDI
I installed the DTUK box this morning. So far, so good. I’ve only tried level 1 & 2+2, which pulls nicely. Still more testing to be done.

jmonste141

Veteran Member
TDI
6 May 2015: Installed Active CR12V Module

Last edited:

kranzandrew

TDI
MKVII 2015 Golf TDI S, Mk IV 2005 Jetta TDI PD, 1997 B4 Passat TDI 5speed Bio
That tunnel brace looks intriguing, sort of like an anti-sway bar but for the entire vehicle. I wonder if this would partially eliminate the need for stiffer springs? Curious to see if anyone is currently running this unit on their vehicle?
Russ
I think I'm going to spring for it, (in red of course) can't decide if I want anti roll bars as well or not, probably will just to save on shipping. I like that it attaches to existing mounts, I wouldent want to drill into my new car.

forhumans

TDI
1998 Jetta TDI, 2015 Golf TDI
Isn't the rear beam already basically a giant anti-roll bar?

Korab

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 golf TDI SEL 6MT w/ lighting and driver assistance package
It is, but adding a front anti-sway bar will really firm things up (at the cost of increased understeer at the limits).
and simultaneously create mismatched handling dynamics between the front and rear end.

Why would you want to do this?

Its like only putting on two snow tires - which end of your vehicle do you want to lose control of?

russdog5681

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Golf S TDI DSG
I'm always very judicious when modifying suspension (learned this from my Jeeping days!). Nothing worse than messing up an already sound handling vehicle. I'm all for snappier handling, though, as well. I would probably be inclined to buy the tunnel brace (I'm curious to hear your thoughts and driving impressions on it, Andy!) and some new springs and call it a day. Just my $0.02.

kranzandrew

TDI
My problem with springs is that I can't loose any ride hight, I live in St. Augustine, and we are turning 450 years old this year, and the roads show every bit of it. I already have a massive dent in the muffler from it wacking on one of the mounds in the road.

russdog5681

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Golf S TDI DSG
My problem with springs is that I can't loose any ride hight, I live in St. Augustine, and we are turning 450 years old this year, and the roads show every bit of it. I already have a massive dent in the muffler from it wacking on one of the mounds in the road.
Ooh, busted asphalt is no fun to drive on! :(

spicy_red

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagon TDI, highline, 6MT, multimedia, plat grey metallic
I wanted to lower mine a bit as well but also have horrible roads (potholes caused by winter conditions) and the snowfall some years and lack of clearing could be an issue...

kranzandrew

TDI
Air bags maybe?? Lol if there is a system, I have no idea where I would put the tank and it would almost certainly not be compatible with the torsion bar.

jmonste141

Veteran Member
TDI
How was it?
Well, I just installed it yesterday. I must say, I'm impressed with how well it performs straight out of the box. I put it on setting "C" which is the maximum setting. There will be a few days before I really can start telling much difference in power as the ECU isn't used to handling the extra fueling. It seems to be raising boost pressure to compensate the increased fueling a little too much because it'll lurch around 2k RPMs in 1st and 2nd most noticeably. I've noticed the lurch is becoming less and less noticeable the more I drive. :D More in-depth updates will be posted as regularly as I can to this thread HERE

andyman7931

TDI
14 tiguan, 15 golf, 99 jetta/g3f
That brace wouldn't eliminate the desire for stiffer springs but would help the chassis stay tight when stiffer springs are installed and one corner compresses. Not sure a street car would need this or if the driver would even notice. The mk7 is a stiff chassis to start with. If I regularly took my car on a track I would want the extra chassis stiffness that this would provide.

kranzandrew

TDI
I feel the flex very badly under breaking, the car bows up, especially obvious when I stop, set the break and then release break pedal and the front of the car springs forward.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Well, I just installed it yesterday. I must say, I'm impressed with how well it performs straight out of the box. I put it on setting "C" which is the maximum setting. There will be a few days before I really can start telling much difference in power as the ECU isn't used to handling the extra fueling. It seems to be raising boost pressure to compensate the increased fueling a little too much because it'll lurch around 2k RPMs in 1st and 2nd most noticeably. I've noticed the lurch is becoming less and less noticeable the more I drive. :D More in-depth updates will be posted as regularly as I can to this thread HERE
This is exactly why TDIClub members tend to recommend a chip instead of a tuning box. Hiccups with tuning boxes are nothing new, despite newer tuning boxes being offered. In my opinion, the control systems on new TDI engines are way to complex to be "fooled" by a tuning box. Spend your money on a proper chip tune that actually modifies the parameters in the computer instead of lying to the sensors and manipulating data.

ROD-TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk7 Golf S TDI 6-speed, 2017 Tiguan Limited, 2015 Golf R DSG/DCC/NAV.
This is exactly why TDIClub members tend to recommend a chip instead of a tuning box. Hiccups with tuning boxes are nothing new, despite newer tuning boxes being offered. In my opinion, the control systems on new TDI engines are way to complex to be "fooled" by a tuning box. Spend your money on a proper chip tune that actually modifies the parameters in the computer instead of lying to the sensors and manipulating data.
I agree totally, having run a number of chip combinations in quite a few cars, mostly 1980 and 1990 BMWs which were not as sophisticated as todays vehicles. If I do any chipping at all to my Mk7 TDI and 'R', it will involve a revised chip and dyno testing, not an external box, based on my past chipping experiences and those of friends who I helped 'chip' their engines.
-Rod

jmonste141

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm just here to inform not convert. Since the module piggybacks the system, I fully expected these results straight out the gate. I take it as it is. The module reads signal and modifies. Of course without any data from driving it's gonna be a little weird at first. Doing a tune, there's also data logging and dyno testing done to ensure the tune runs without a hiccup. You just don't drive to "run-in" a tune. Why a tune is recommended? The end-user sees/feels no problems. Everything is figured out with data logging and dyno testing. Why a module isn't liked? Well, more well known companies like DTUK and RaceChip ruined it with continuing with raising rail pressure and modifying boost which runs into problems. Boost spikes and HPFP issues from what I've seen. In the case of the JD Hafner module, it doesn't raise boost or rail pressure. This essentially avoids the other issues as the ECU is still in control of rail pressure and boost pressure. What sets this aside from a tune? The module does the data logging while you do everyday driving. If you don't want to deal with that then go for a tune. Don't shoot the messenger.

...Spend your money on a proper chip tune that actually modifies the parameters in the computer instead of lying to the sensors and manipulating data.
Does this module lie to the sensors? No. It's all output style, it's not sending any garbage to the ECU. It takes the ECU output sent to the injectors and modifies it. Which brings me to the manipulating data part. Yes, it does manipulate the data to get you to the end result. Does a tune also manipulate the original signal to get you to the desired end result? Yes. Does a tune lie to the sensors? No. The difference? A tune manipulates data at the shop and dyno tests to ensure proper power delivery and drive-ability. The manipulation is done once. With the module the manipulation is done in real-time. So it's going to have to learn as you drive. Which may turn off some people to the module and push them to go with a tune. To each their own.

Last edited:

Thunderstruck

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GTI SE 6M
Plus, if you suffer a catastrophic failure you can remove the tuning box while you're waiting for roadside assistance to tow the car to the dealer, with no concerns about warranty disputes.