Performance products

LurkerMike

Veteran Member
TDI
-Whitey: 2000 Jetta GLS, Red: 2000 Jetta GLS 5-speed
SccotBomb said:
Well, because your nutz, and you waste your money on changing your tranny oil way to often, Doesn't mean my tranny is any other condition then yours.

BTW, I used the ATF too.
How much metal do you have on the magnet?

How thick are the sediments in your pan?

When you cut the used filter open and inspect the media, how clogged is it? How many metal bits were captured, or is the "mud" from the paper too thick to see the metal bits?

Eh, if I was REALLY into it, I would do a UOI on the ATF. But the paper particles and metal bits would be through the roof while my fluid would report nearly as robust as brand new out of the bottle with almost no oxidation, acids formation or breakdown in lubricity or viscosity. So what would the point be?

For those that believe in the (short)lifetime fill, please do a UOI at say 50k miles and another at say 100k miles and tell me how the ATF is holding up? I can tell you now, it will show that it isn't. Now go add a few mild performance mods like nozzles and a tune and beat on the car and tell me why your 01M burns up one summer. :D

Let me make this clear... this is the Performance section. VW does NOT approve any tunes or nozzles other than the OEM VW ones. (Short)lifetime fill may be fine for a stock TDI 01M driven by grandpa. But it is bad advise for anyone consistently applying about 150% of the power levels the 01M was designed to handle and the 01M's recommended maintenance schedule was designed to cover.

Piranha

Veteran Member
TDI
golf 2000 Flash Red
Changint the Tranny oil every othr service (6,000 ile for me) lets you have a look at the condition of your tranny.

alot of metal fragemnts in the oil is bad news, old oil with alot of metal fragments acts like sandpaper.

+ what costs less, a few bottls of oil a year or a new gearbox every other year?????

+ some people are running double the power through their engines / gearboxes, so IMO servicing schedules should be done twice as often.

I do my:
Engine oil+ filter and fuel filter 3,000mi
Gearbox air filter 6,000mi
Brake, clutch power steering and coolan (fluids) every 6,000mi.

\better safe than sorry!!.

My car still sound like new after 70.000 mi

SccotBomb

Veteran Member
TDI
Wabbit
I been to many Elf conferences, and they do not recommend changing your oil so often.

ATF wouldn't either for the tranny.

Oil needs a brake in period in my opinion to gain the right physical properties. I change my oil on average of 10,000 km.

In Europe, many NEW VW and other diesels have a sensor in your oil pan, processing information and tests, on the quality of your oil.

It will Alarm you when the perfect time for an oil changes comes, Arrange oil change in Europe is 50,000 km.

I guess we wont see that technology for another 10 years, know as how behind we are on every aspect of automotive technology.

I wonder if I could swap in such a sensor into my ALH,and control unit to test my oil!!!

LurkerMike

Veteran Member
TDI
I go 10,000 miles per engine oil change with Amsoil Euro in my ALH VE's.
(I would NEVER use the Amsoil in a PD engine.)

At the 10,000 mile engine oil change interval, I drain the approximate 2 quarts that will drain from the 01M automatic and replace them with a fresh ATF. That's some $18 give or take.

At the next engine oil change, now 20,000 miles on the 01M, I drop the pan, inspect the scum layer and silver coat on the magnet. I pull the filter and cut it open and give it a close inspection. I install the new filter, clean the pan to spotless sterile condition and reinstall it on a new gasket. I helicoiled all for pan bolts for good measure, I don't need the threads going soft on me some day when I'm in a hurry.

I don't consider the approximately $75 I spend on the transmission every 40,000 miles excessive. I consider it cheap insurance.

VailPowder

RIP, Gone But Not Forgotten
TDI
2005 Jetta TDI Sedan, 1998 New Beetle TDI, 2004 Jetta TDI
SccotBomb said:
I been to many Elf conferences, and they do not recommend changing your oil so often.

ATF wouldn't either for the tranny.

Oil needs a brake in period in my opinion to gain the right physical properties. I change my oil on average of 10,000 km.

In Europe, many NEW VW and other diesels have a sensor in your oil pan, processing information and tests, on the quality of your oil.

It will Alarm you when the perfect time for an oil changes comes, Arrange oil change in Europe is 50,000 km.

I guess we wont see that technology for another 10 years, know as how behind we are on every aspect of automotive technology.

I wonder if I could swap in such a sensor into my ALH,and control unit to test my oil!!!

Most of the oil life systems calculate based on depletion of anti wear additives like ZDDP based on engine use, or electrical qualities of the oil.

And they are quite accurate, but oil is really expensive in Europe... and inspection requirements make ownership into high miles fairly expensive.

And there is some debate whether the engines will last forever, or just long enough.

I never really felt comfortable running the 520 hp AMG motor on Mobil 1 0W-30 for 10K to 15K miles per the MB oil life monitor...I'd rather change it at 7K. But I know the oil life monitor system works.

I think there are arguments in favor of changing oil short interval, medium interval, long interval, or even ultra long intervals with bypass filtration and high or supplemented additives

I choose medium intervals , 7K miles with great oil. But if the engine is highly modified I think the oil may need to be upgraded in base stock, viscosity, additives or all three....and the intervals decreased until testing verifies a good interval.

Highly modified diesels may benefit from shorter intervals , or bypass filters to reduce soot levels.... or Used Oil Analysis to monitor soot levels and help determine the oil service interval.

People are going to run whatever oil and interval they feel comfortable...and oil and engines are so good that nearly every combo works.

And trying to change someone's choice in oil ir service intervals is nearly impossible!:D

Last edited:

LurkerMike

Veteran Member
TDI
VailPowder said:
And trying to change someone's choice in oil ir service intervals is nearly impossible!:D
What do you personally think about VW's (short)lifetime fill recommendation for the 01M? :D

VailPowder

RIP, Gone But Not Forgotten
TDI
2005 Jetta TDI Sedan, 1998 New Beetle TDI, 2004 Jetta TDI
LurkerMike said:
What do you personally think about VW's (short)lifetime fill recommendation for the 01M? :D
I think VW's 'lifetime' means what VW would like you to have for vehicle ownership lifetime... about 100K

Better fluids can help... but better basestocks, additives, and fluid design cannot overcome all the challenges of automatic transmissions.

Draining some tranny fluid out and replacing at shorter intervals like every 20K is a great strategy...but it isn't for everyone. Some people don't have a place to work to do this.

I think 70K is a good interval to change tranny fluid. Highly modified cars or cars that see towing, mountains, heavy loads , high heat, dust, or stop and go driving could shorten that to between 30K and 50K.

tdiluva

TDI
2006.5 DSG Special Edition
Having only been around for a short time, my observation of the "WAR" or should I say "SOAP OPERA" is ridiculous.
I have seen positives from many "Vendors" and their experience and expertise is what makes this site a valuable asset to so many of us.

Most of what we learned in kindergarten could be applied here.

I do appreciate VailPowder's professionalism it seems he is not willing to get dragged into the mud on this thread as well as many others.

RC is clearly a choice of many patrons here and has a well deserved reputation for innovation and know how.
It seems reasonable that many can climb the moutain, each choosing different gear and logistical approaches but in the end all that climbed have accomplished a goal and the other CRAP does not matter.
In the end opinions are like XXXholes everybody has one and they all stink, just depends on what you ate!