Performance Poly Bushings in a TDI: Superpro or Powerflex?

CleverUserName

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 OZ Cruze CTD & 2010 JSW 6MT & 2017 GMC Canyon CCLB ATX 2.8 Duramax
Superpro or Powerflex? These are the only two I'm considering at this time.

Which is the better bushing? I like the powerflex options as they also offer some diesel specific mount inserts however their website sucks and CS is non-existent.

Superpro has the front control arms and a full bushing kit which is nice. Looking for street bushings to supplement a coil-over kit and CR170 upgrade.

Poor King

Veteran Member
TDI
'91 Jetta, '91 GTI, '04 Touareg
I had the same question a week back and the BMW forums seems to gear towards Powerflex products over Strongflex.

CleverUserName

Veteran Member
TDI
I had the same question a week back and the BMW forums seems to gear towards Powerflex products over Strongflex.
I guess you mean superpro not strongflex.

Why (The reasons) did they recommend powerflex?

CleverUserName

Veteran Member
TDI
I went with the Superpros specifically for the lightened control arms/modified balljoints because I'm also getting the Tyrolsport locking subframe collars. My front wheels are very close to the fender and having the ability to change camber to compensate might be necessary.

I'm using the Powerflex for the Dogbone insert and also the engine/transmission mount urethane inserts.

Poor King

Veteran Member
TDI
'91 Jetta, '91 GTI, '04 Touareg
For my intentions, I would like to go with powerflex on my daily driver. After driving a t'reg for a few months I have realized how crucial a raised car will be for the amount of driving I do here in NYC. Most recently I drove over a pothole that was hidden behind a dip and even with wrangler tires on the SUV, if I did not have my seatbelt on, I would've smacked my head on the roof. That's how aggressive the roads can be in the city. I'd like to invest in an air ride system yet retain some positive handling characteristics with the MK2. I hope powerflex bushings can give me that.

chaoscreature

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Special Edition
Which bushings are you planning on replacing? I am assuming this is for your 2010 Sport Wagon?

CleverUserName

Veteran Member
TDI
Which bushings are you planning on replacing? I am assuming this is for your 2010 Sport Wagon?
Yes 2010 sportwagen. Basically all of them for the front and rear. Superpro control arms, ball joints, and street bushings with an Eibach coil over kit.

ssullivan

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
One thing I didn't know is that all poly bushings are a maintenance item, needing yearly grease, which is a disassembly (+ realign) normally. Hoping I can add zerk fittings and drill them out to grease the inner poly/metal bushing.

Sounds like a rad setup. Scheduled any racing next year yet?

CleverUserName

Veteran Member
TDI
One thing I didn't know is that all poly bushings are a maintenance item, needing yearly grease, which is a disassembly (+ realign) normally. Hoping I can add zerk fittings and drill them out to grease the inner poly/metal bushing.

Sounds like a rad setup. Scheduled any racing next year yet?
Yearly grease is probably excessive unless you live in a harsh environment. I use the energy suspension bushing grease as it’s very tacky and lasts a long time.

I was in a major car accident in 2021 and haven’t gotten back on my feet since then. I have issues with my right foot and can’t drive stick shift yet. Hoping to get it together and back to normal soon.

ssullivan

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
Maybe my squeak is from overly tight sway bushings, I was not looking forward to pulling the arms off again, it has been a little less than a year.

Dang, best wishes. Motion is lotion when it is time!

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
PowerFlex Black. EVERYWHERE! For the strut mounts, the PF fit quite well. I'd nearly accept something solid, but the Black is next best thing. Same for sway bar bushings. Little bit of Krytox and I have yet to re-grease. Stock front LCA is fine, IMO. There is just not much rubber there so effective spring rate is quite high enough. Their ball-joint rear LCA in purple are not quite able to tell a Philly dime from a Denver one, but for general use, quite firm enough. I never had any issues, so can't comment on customer service much. IIRC FCP Uro has the best pricing on their stuff in US.

Cupra R for the rear... :)

Douglas

ssullivan

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
I'm using Problem Solving bushings in the LCA front position now. As you can see there is a cutout to allow it to twist but should be a lot stiffer laterally. Happy with them. Have red poly in the LCA rear position. The car handles really well with these, TT LCA and knuckle, solid subframe bushings, sway bars, and so-called coilovers (JOM, a little noisy but you get what you pay for).