Performance headers

Ron burgany

TDI
2011 jetta tdi
Torn between simply just scooping the cr170 but now I see a performance header with bolt on turbo how big of a turbo can I put on that will work well .. also how much difference does the cr170 make.

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
audi a4 2.5 tdi 98 quatrro 6speed
You need fuel to spool big turbos, Cr 170 is still a tiny turbo…get real and choose a 2060 or 2260vk/vklr…even these are seen as tiny turbos by some !

Ron burgany

TDI
2011 jetta tdi
Thx for the reply... those 2260 vk have a bolt on I'd need some header wich is kinda the rout I wanted to go I seen some on profidisel.com but have gotten no reply to check fitment there in bulgaria..if I cant find some here in canada I'm gona get some made . If u have any ideas link a thread. Thanks homes

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
I wouldn’t waste money on performance headers, stock pd150 flows decent enough…not sure on your engine spec as it’s not in the post/signature but if you have a pd upgrade to BEW header, if you have a plastic CR intake manifold then change to alloy cr170 manifold and do a swirl flap delete…Cr turbo is a good upgrade if it bolts on, they are designed to work with increased back pressure from dpf’s and have little more modern internals which improve spool…

Ron burgany

TDI
2011 jetta tdi
I wouldn’t waste money on performance headers, stock pd150 flows decent enough…not sure on your engine spec as it’s not in the post/signature but if you have a pd upgrade to BEW header, if you have a plastic CR intake manifold then change to alloy cr170 manifold and do a swirl flap delete…Cr turbo is a good upgrade if it bolts on, they are designed to work with increased back pressure from dpf’s and have little more modern internals which improve spool…
I found GTD1752VRK wih ceramic ball bearings welded kn stock manifold I think it the best I've seen so far.. still on the hunt. Thx

Boosted_TDI_4_Life

TDI
'15 Golf TDI S
Thx for the reply... those 2260 vk have a bolt on I'd need some header wich is kinda the rout I wanted to go I seen some on profidisel.com but have gotten no reply to check fitment there in bulgaria..if I cant find some here in canada I'm gona get some made . If u have any ideas link a thread. Thanks homes
Check out darkside developements. They have a nasty header that I just picked up with the GTD1752VRK. I got their full kit with the dpf, egr delete along with it. I have the CRUA EA288 motor (2015 golf with oval ports). You should post your model though so we know what you got to work with.

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
While I have nothing against the gtb1752vrk I will be careful with welded manifolds, cast is hard to weld right especially on old manifolds which are burnt and the metal has decayed. I weld all sorts of cast iron and while -some are weldable to a point- some are a real pig to work with and no preheat/peen and controlled cool down will stop cracks propagating ! If possible go for adapter plate between manifold and turbo...

Ron burgany

TDI
2011 jetta tdi
While I have nothing against the gtb1752vrk I will be careful with welded manifolds, cast is hard to weld right especially on old manifolds which are burnt and the metal has decayed. I weld all sorts of cast iron and while -some are weldable to a point- some are a real pig to work with and no preheat/peen and controlled cool down will stop cracks propagating ! If possible go for adapter plate between manifold and turbo...
Check out darkside developements. They have a nasty header that I just picked up with the GTD1752VRK. I got their full kit with the dpf, egr delete along with it. I have the CRUA EA288 motor (2015 golf with oval ports). You should post your model though so we know what you got to work with.
Cool thx

Ron burgany

TDI
2011 jetta tdi
Yeah great idea .. if I have an adapter plate can I run any turbo ? Is there a difference between gas turbo and disel turbo ? my car is 2011 jetta tdi 2.0 . Do I only have the gtb1752vrk as the best choice

Boosted_TDI_4_Life

TDI
'15 Golf TDI S
The Darkside header is not welded. It’s stainless and it uses a v-band clamp for the turbo and another v-band clamp for the downpipe. Also it’s a gtD1752vrk. Just wanted to clarify. Here’s a link to the exact kit that I purchased.

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
If the turbo is not welded on a cast iron manifold then they are doing it right ! With welding cast iron as the joint and weld expands/cools at different rates and inherent vibrations is parent metal that breaks -usually next to the weld- also known as Heat Affected Zone. I tig weld many castings using a mixture of expensive cast iron specific rods, monel 685 rods and high content cu/nickel rods with different techniques depending on application !

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
The Darkside header is not welded. It’s stainless and it uses a v-band clamp for the turbo and another v-band clamp for the downpipe. Also it’s a gtD1752vrk. Just wanted to clarify. Here’s a link to the exact kit that I purchased.

Only time will tell if the exhaust manifold will hold or not ! As you already know the weld breaks at the joint line between the bends/tube, too much undercut and it will be a stress area…also the filler metal may not be the same composition as parent metal and metal may not fuse properly! My mate Vlad had a gtb2260vk turbo fitted to his b7 a4 some 7 years ago- if I remember correctly- it was welded by a forum member (JTT ?) and it cracked shortly after instal. He then bought a tubular manifold from Darkside and that cracked too after a few k…this was fixed by Darkside under warranty ! We then made a cantilever turbo Suport with rose joints which seemed to work at the time ! Don’t know how it fared afterwards as I left Uk about 4 years ago and I know Vlad/b5conversion bought some exotic cars as his business took off (m5/rs6/etc)… the latest incarnation of dark side manifolds and competition use a cast/machined billet stainless steel collector which then is welded to quality stainless 304/316 bends…they seem to far a lot better !

Boosted_TDI_4_Life

TDI
'15 Golf TDI S
the latest incarnation of dark side manifolds and competition use a cast/machined billet stainless steel collector which then is welded to quality stainless 304/316 bends…they seem to far a lot better !
This seems to be the case with the one I purchased. The quality is definitely there. Their customer support is easy to work with too.

Last edited: