Performance chip

2012jettatdi

TDI
Jetta
I recently bought a chip from Race Chip (GTS model) and had a question for anyone who has one or has experience with them. The site claims a 38 hp/66lb-ft/20 mpg gain and I was just curious if it works as advertised.

ive noticed a significant decline in mpg ever since VW fixed the emissions problem, so that alone would probably make it worthwhile for me. Based on the power improvement, it seems like there would be a noticeable gain in performance.

So, I guess my question is, does the chip make a big difference in terms of performance? Also, does having it decrease the lifespan of the car? It has 130k

Thanks!

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
As far as I know, nobody changes the "ECU chip" anymore. Tuning the ECU is done via the OBD II port. No muss no fuss!

The "Race Chip" simply is a "Tuning box" which simply goes in the electrical line to the fuel pump? That puts more fuel into the engine and basically nothing else. In my opinion you just wasted your money. $ 249.00 or $ 329.00 or even $ 449.00

Should have bought a tune from Malone which is the way to go! A Stage 2 would cost you $ 549.00 plus the Flashzilla rental to pull the OEM file, send it to Malone and then install the new tuned file to the ECU.

See Malone tuning: https://www.ecstuning.com/b-malone-tuning-parts/stage-2-with-flashzilla-v2/pd-tdi-002kt/

Last edited:

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Without trying to incite slander, but I believe Kerma is out of business.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Kerma is in fact not out of business, but they aren't my preferred to to for... Well.. Anything.

But as for the tunes. The difference between kerma and literally anyone else, is kerma tunes to the max that the hardware will support. Sure, it has a more dynamic feel to it, but you'll break and wear stuff out faster. Everyone else's tunes are more conservative.

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
you guys are funny lol
Give the guys a call 877-537-6283, they'd love to answer your questions. (or info@kermatdi.com)
If you call after hours, they are really good about returning calls the next day.
myself, not so much about talking to custys anymore, generally up to my eyeballs keeping up, no time, sorry
See ya

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Not gonna lie, between a few different threads and he finally pops up, and doesn't say anything about what we're saying... Hmmm..

red16vdub

Veteran Member
TDI
03 JSW 5spd
Kerma is in fact not out of business, but they aren't my preferred to to for... Well.. Anything.

But as for the tunes. The difference between kerma and literally anyone else, is kerma tunes to the max that the hardware will support. Sure, it has a more dynamic feel to it, but you'll break and wear stuff out faster. Everyone else's tunes are more conservative.
This makes me laugh, Kerma tunes to the max that the hardware will support.
Lol if your **** breaks, then obviously you’re mods/hardware can’t support the tune and vise versa.
I don’t have kerma tune, but brought stuff from them many times without issue.
I’m a RocketChip guy all the way, but when modding I want a tune that maximizes all my upgrades otherwise what’s the point.

Last edited:

red16vdub

Veteran Member
TDI
03 JSW 5spd
Why is that remotely funny?
It funny be
Why is that remotely funny?
like I said before, if you get a tune that doesn’t support you’re mods, and the car blows up it’s your own fault. Be honest with your tuner about your upgrades . I run rc6+ and drive the hell out of it for years and counting, still reliable.
That’s what’s remotely funny.

Fahrvegnugen

Veteran Member
TDI
01 golf 1.9 alh gls silver
It’s “funny” to see people with bad experiences talking about it. Sounds like there are always more chances to do business. Apparently some enjoy the one time “custy” scene.

Grandpa Ripper

TDI
2012 A3 2.0
I am looking into the same thing with my 2012 2.0 Audi A3 with DSG tranny. Malone vs Unitronic? Both are OBD port tunes, so no parts. Both increase the HP by 30-35 HP and torque by 59-70 ft lbs. Both highly recommend the DSG getting tuned too. $900 to &1,500 US with both done. Without wanting to bother to dyno the results, I am pretty sure I would be happy with either. I do not want to race or mod the car further. I just want to recover some of the lost power and gain a little MPG when I drive normally. You all have more experience in this than I do. Any input?

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Grandpa Ripper
If I remember right Malone says the DSG tune is not necessary up to Stage 2.
But check out their website!

Grandpa Ripper

TDI
2012 A3 2.0
I am looking at a stage 2 tune. Both brands have strongly suggested the DSG tune also. Seems to affect the clamping pressures, shift timing, delay issues, and as a minor issue, shows which gear you are in. With more power, they say the clutches need to be instructed to hang on tighter! I don't know if that is actually true, but if it is, it would be worth the tune to prevent clutch wear. Owners seem to say that the transmission shifts much better, more like how and enthusiast would want.