Pela 6000

rdean

TDI
Jetta, 2001, Bright Green, Jetta, 2002, Blue Lagoon (RIP)
I just wanted to make 2 quick comments on the Pela suction pump. When I read about it these forums, I thought it was the greatest thing since the TDI. I used it for the first time last weekend, (NOT on my TDI, but on my wifes Camry), and learned some valuble lessons. First ALL dip-stick tubes are NOT created equal. Toyota has a sharp object in thiers that will slice up the suction tube making it useless. So if you buy one and there is ANY resistance going into the tube, STOP. Now, this is NOT a problem with the TDI, the tube is clear and straight and will not harm the Pela. OK, so now I have this useless tube and I haven't done my Jetta yet, so I e-mailed Pela and they appologized, told me about the Toyotas AND GMs having problems and sent me a new tube via Fed-EX. Thats what I call great customer service! My hats off to this site for all the great info I've gotten.

tadc

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf GLS TDI, '01, Black
Nice work on Pela's part. Another thing you might consider is replacing the plastic tube with a copper tube from Home Depot.. more resistant to heat and more rigid, especially in hot oil.

Rammstein

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 92 D
[ QUOTE ]
Nice work on Pela's part. Another thing you might consider is replacing the plastic tube with a copper tube from Home Depot.. more resistant to heat and more rigid, especially in hot oil.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you do so, wear gloves to not burn yourself (assuming the oil is hot when you pump it out). /images/graemlins/wink.gif

NeXTstep guy

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2003, Silver
My Pela's tube is has 2 pieces. The suction end is made of a metal tube sheathed rubber/plastic. The end looks like a clear plastic tube.

What does yours look like? Did you say your Toyota sliced up the clear part of the tube?

RWW

rdean

TDI
Jetta, 2001, Bright Green, Jetta, 2002, Blue Lagoon (RIP)
Mine looks just like yours.The toyota sliced up the plastic sheathing over the metal part. The sheathing makes the metal tube inside it air tight.

NeXTstep guy

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2003, Silver
[ QUOTE ]
Mine looks just like yours.The toyota sliced up the plastic sheathing over the metal part. The sheathing makes the metal tube inside it air tight.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for explaining the use of the plastic sheathing.
RWW

STNK BG 1

Veteran Member
TDI
NB,2001,yellow
FWIW, the black "hose" on the end of the tubing is motorcycle cable housing, probably clutch housing. I used my Pela for the first time today for the 45k oil change in my NB. Got just a tad over 1 US Gallon (I don't top-off between changes, and the level stays on the checks). It was great to be able to suck the oil out of the filter housing and oil cooler. I had forgotten how slowly used oil gets sucked out with an extractor.