Pedal Spacing 6MT

Big Red

Veteran Member
I'm curious it it is just me, but after 250 miles and several trips I'm forming the opinon the pedal spacing on this car is not designed properly. Specifically there is less than 1/2" between the toe of my right foot and the brake pedal when moved all the way to the right to press on the gas.

I find I'm accidently hitting the brake a lot. size 13 shoe with normal dress shoes. I was thinking on my drive this morning that there might be no way I can drive with a pair of boots on.

There apprears to be tons of space on the left of the clutch. Much like the rest of the car, VW appears to have stretched the car out from the center and didn't move hardware around (example the steering wheel being off center). So I think they widened the center console, but did not move the pedals to the left resulting in inadequate space for the gas pedal.
I've been driving my B4 for years without any trouble and I've been my foot catching the brake a lot. Anyone else have this experience?

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
It was probably designed by European engineers to make "Heel & Toe" driving possible. For people who know how to do this, they are using the brake and the accelerator at the same time with the same foot. Those who are trained to drive this way probably love this pedal layout. However, for the typical American driver - we just have to get used to the pedal layout VW chose. I do not believe that this is adjustable. It is what it is.

Have Fun!

Don

tcp_ip_dude

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Sedan
+1 on Don's "Toe + Heel" comment.

Perfectly spaced for braking and a quick blip on the go pedal to match RPM's when downshifting.