PD150 setup for my BEW has arrived!

Teufelshund

TDI
05 VW Jetta BEW
I finally ordered up a PD150 intake/GT1749VB setup from Europe. I am stoked to get this installed :D. After reading post upon post and thread upon thread, I need to clarify some things about the supporting mods from those who have already been there...

I am contemplating a mild setup with stock 2.5 bar MAP, and stage 2 or 3 tune. Let's say this provides 22 psi boost; 160 HP and 275 Ft-Lbs of torque. Am I okay with everything else remaining stock?

Alternatively, if I go 3 bar MAP and stage 4 tune, what else will I need? Intercooler? Definitely a stronger clutch/pp. How much more power is it going to make for the investment?

It appears that a VR6/G60 clutch and flywheel could work, depending on the tune. I don't rally. Is there a clear need for South Bend stage 2 clutch?

Finally, if I go with the more powerful setup, would you expect issues with reliability?

Thanks in advance

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
With stock injectors you're looking at around 170hp max from that setup. I wouldn't waste $$$ on IC pipes. Do a clutch once and do it right, don't waste your time with a G60/VR6. DC Stage II, SBC, whatever. However the stock clutch will hold (but for how long no one knows)

Max sustained psi on a VNT17 is 24, so you won't be making that much more running a stage 4 tune.

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
I had a G60/VR6 clutch with a RocketChip stage 2 tune and it didn't take long for it to start slipping. I ended up losing the tune after a dealer re-flash. Didn't follow up with RocketChip to get it re-done because back in those days it meant shipping the ECU and that was a hassle.

Years later, I got a Malone stage 1.5 tune (slightly less power than RC2) and it wasn't long before the G60/VR6 started slipping again, but mind you, it was an old clutch by then.

I replaced it with a Bora Parts DC Stage 1 clutch kit. Now I have a GT1749VB, 3 bar MAP, and Malone stage 4 tune. The DC Stage 1 is handling it so far.

So basically, I would say you need a new clutch if you go anything above a stage 1 tune. If you're going to go through the trouble of getting a clutch, you might as well get something good, then spend the $40 on a 3 bar MAP, and that allows you to get a stage 4 tune.

In other words, the price difference between a mild tune and a new clutch, and a more powerful tune and a new clutch is $40, for the MAP sensor.

Also, there's absolutely no point in having that PD150 intake manifold if you aren't going to really push the limits of the tune. A stage 4 tune makes PLENTY of power with a stock manifold. So if you're not going for a high-power tune, you already wasted your money on that manifold. You might as well go for stage 4!

Teufelshund

TDI
05 VW Jetta BEW
Also, there's absolutely no point in having that PD150 intake manifold if you aren't going to really push the limits of the tune. A stage 4 tune makes PLENTY of power with a stock manifold. So if you're not going for a high-power tune, you already wasted your money on that manifold. You might as well go for stage 4!

Lol! I hadn't really thought about that; the intake came with the turbo as an extra. Since they came as a unit, I figured I would just bolt the whole thing on. The PD150 setup appears more staightforward as well.

Your point about cost is valid. If a $40 MAP is the difference in potential between stage 3 and stage 4 tunes, that is good. I am replacing the clutch regardless of which tune I decide on so that isn't a huge concern. I didn't see much difference between the VR6/G60 and SBC stage 2 on paper, but apparently there is.

04trd

Veteran Member
TDI
06 golf tdi
Bill is 100 precent right. Built the car for way stronger than what you expect on doing to it. Why do it 2 times, just do it right the first time and enjoy an awesome car