PD150 - piping between intercooler and racepipe

Shenandoah

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon; 2005 Beetle; 2004 Jetta; 2002 Golf (three of them); 2002 Jetta Wagon; 2000 Audi TT->TDI; 1999 Beetle
Folks,

I've got a PD150 intake and TIP/MAF/air box top that I'm going to install on my Audi TT -> ALH conversion. I have a PD150 EGR/ASV but am going to install a racepipe that mounts the MAP on the racepipe flange.

Should I run the stock plastic pipe that runs between the intercooler to the EGR/racepipe? Or should I try to use 57mm piping with silicone connectors? If anyone has replaced the stock plastic pipe, what did you come up with for silicone connectors and aluminum piping?

Thanks!

Eric

bobbiemartin

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Tiguan TDI 4Motion, Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 CRD
Are you running a side mount intercooler? I went with the Darkside side mount kit on my ALH Golf. It has a PD150 intake with EGR removed as well. The IC pipes are 51mm. I used the aluminum pipes but the upper pipe rubbed on the power steering pulley so I went back to the plastic pipe and stock rubber hose. I haven't noticed any difference, maybe it's a bit quieter. I've since changed the lower mount so the engine dosen't move as much, but the plastic pipe fits better so I'm going to leave it as is. Unless you really need the 57mm IC pipes I don't think you lose much with the plastic pipes. I still have the aluminum upper IC pipe and silicone hose. If you are interested in trying it, send me a PM.

Shenandoah

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon; 2005 Beetle; 2004 Jetta; 2002 Golf (three of them); 2002 Jetta Wagon; 2000 Audi TT->TDI; 1999 Beetle
bobbiemartin,

Yes, I'm still running the side mount intercooler. I was actually measuring the plastic stock pipe and it looks like the only restriction is where the rubber hose/90 connects from the intake manifold. It looks like its a couple mm smaller in diameter than the PD150 racepipe. The rest of the plastic pipe is probably a larger diameter than a 57mm round pipe would be.

I'll probably just stick with the plastic pipe. Thanks!

Eric

Shenandoah

Veteran Member
TDI
Mongler98,

Thanks for the offer on the pipe. Your set up is different than what I'm going to run, so the pipe probably wouldn't work. My intake is pointing to the passenger side (like the stock ALH intake does). Thanks!

Eric

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
It will bolt on to a left or right had side PD150 or pd130. They have the same bolt pattern.

As for the material i welded it with, its alumoly that melts at 800*F. I made a all aluminum thermostat housing and pipe with it and its held up for 100K miles and may a overheat, this stuff is amazing. Its not the cleanest of mods but it was the only way i could hook up the pd130 i got for time being. I got the right size pipe from a metal yard local to me, its the exact same ID as the stock intake and the rubber boot is a bit of a workout to put on but holds fine. $15.00 without shipping costs and its yours. Im sure you might want something that looks better but im never going to use it again.

Last edited: