PD150 Airbox, 3" MAF, R32 DSG Snorkel, 3" Custom Accordian

eddie_1

Veteran Member
Joined
Dec 27, 2004
Location
Hannover, Germany formerly Toronto & NY
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 TDI tuned to 170HP, A6 Wagon 2008 TDI 2.7L tuned to 340HP
Got the airbox side mod in. The only small snag is removing those clips holding the plastic piece (snorkel start plate) behind the headlight. The clip centre pin has to be knocked out before collapsing the hands. On the lower one access is difficult - must be a special tool for that. ended up replacing the lower one with ziptie. This car is held together with countless zipties :D

The other point is the airbox mod to accept the bigger snorkel is very minor, no need to cut too much. see pics.

For the accordian I used 3" hump coupler and 3" to 2.75" reducer coupler with 3" AL pipe. The OMI has 2.75" receiver.

One thing that is a bit bothersome is there is not much space at the beginning of the snorkel behind the headlight. :confused: . I might end up removing it altogether at some point to see if it makes a diff.







 

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
Joined
Apr 9, 2005
Location
Ventura, CA
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
Looks real good! Get rid of that ugly capped off T on the return from your CCV filter though LOL.
 

eddie_1

Veteran Member
Joined
Dec 27, 2004
Location
Hannover, Germany formerly Toronto & NY
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 TDI tuned to 170HP, A6 Wagon 2008 TDI 2.7L tuned to 340HP
Farfromovin said:
Looks real good! Get rid of that ugly capped off T on the return from your CCV filter though LOL.
You are right, that thing really is pretty uncool. kind of messes up the view. I need to clean that up, also the stopper into the omi.
 

Joe TDI

Veteran Member
Joined
Aug 1, 2007
Location
Neversink, NY
TDI
03, 00, 04 MK4 sedans.... 02 MK4 Wagon
Dude... you really went all out on your wagon.... wait till you drive it for the first time with RC5... WHAT!! I think I wanna be in the passenger seat to video your face as you rip it for the first time.

A bit of advice.... try to contact Jeff prior to Pigfest.... he needs to do some physical work in your ECU so if he knows your mods, especially the PD150/R32 airbox setup, he might have an ECU prepared so he can just swap it out for you on the day of Pigfest.

It took Jeff over 2 hours the night before to prepare my RC5 tune... when it came time to actually put it in the car, it was a 20 minute thing and I was flying down the road running logs.
 
Last edited:

eddie_1

Veteran Member
Joined
Dec 27, 2004
Location
Hannover, Germany formerly Toronto & NY
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 TDI tuned to 170HP, A6 Wagon 2008 TDI 2.7L tuned to 340HP
OK, I sent him a note but I'll try to call him too.

Joe TDI said:
Dude... you really went all out on your wagon.... wait till you drive it for the first time with RC5... WHAT!! I think I wanna be in the passenger seat to video your face as you rip it for the first time.

A bit of advice.... try to contact Jeff prior to Pigfest.... he needs to do some physical work in your ECU so if he knows your mods, especially the PD150/R32 airbox setup, he might have an ECU prepared so he can just swap it out for you on the day of Pigfest.

It took Jeff over 2 hours the night before to prepare my RC5 tune... when it came time to actually put it in the car, it was a 20 minute thing and I was flying down the road running logs.
 

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
Joined
Jan 24, 2008
Location
Northeastern Illinois
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
eddie_1 said:
The only small snag is removing those clips holding the plastic piece (snorkel start plate) behind the headlight. The clip centre pin has to be knocked out before collapsing the hands. On the lower one access is difficult - must be a special tool for that. ended up replacing the lower one with ziptie.
Eddie: I know it's likely too late for you, but I found the best way to access the lower plastic rivet is to remove the bumper cover. I have to replace that piece tonight due to it getting broken in April from a deer head-butting my Jetta. Everything else is fixed on my car except for that one R32 piece.

I'm also installing the PD150 TIP, R32 box, and R32 MAF housing with my TDI MAF filament tonight. On Sat, I plan to upgrade from RC4 to RC5. Will probably have to drive to the GTG with the MAF disconnected. I'm told the car won't run well with the R32 intake and MAF connected before a Euro tune from Jeff.

Joe TDI said:
A bit of advice.... try to contact Jeff prior to Pigfest.... he needs to do some physical work in your ECU so if he knows your mods, especially the PD150/R32 airbox setup, he might have an ECU prepared so he can just swap it out for you on the day of Pigfest.

It took Jeff over 2 hours the night before to prepare my RC5 tune... when it came time to actually put it in the car, it was a 20 minute thing and I was flying down the road running logs.
I contacted Jeff a few weeks ago with my list of mods and my desire to upgrade to RC5 with the Euro tune to get a price. I guess I should do so again tonight. Do you think my upgrade would also take 2 hours, since I already have RC4?
 

eddie_1

Veteran Member
Joined
Dec 27, 2004
Location
Hannover, Germany formerly Toronto & NY
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 TDI tuned to 170HP, A6 Wagon 2008 TDI 2.7L tuned to 340HP
rocketeer928, I did remove the bumper but couldn't figure out how to get a straight knock into the rivet. The steel bumper and other stuff seemed in the way for me. I didn't want to spend too much time on it since I salvaged the top 2 ok.

I didn't have any drivability issues after the PD150 3" MAF and the rest of the cold air upgrade shown above. Then again it is 3" vs 3.25" of the R32 MAF and I only have rc3 (18psi requested). Also I put my old Pierburg MAF into the new housing. If anything it was pulling stronger after the upgrade.

I think you should be able to do the upgrade very quickly. Shouldn't take more than 1-2 hours the most, since you already did most of it. I had to move the battery box over and had to cut the AL pipe etc. which took a bit more time.
 
Top