PD130 tandem pump problems, advice on way forward please?

Chunky2778

TDI
Alhambra PD130
Hi all, new to the forum, hope I've posted in the right section?

I have recently purchased an Alhambra PD130 to get a few projects done, it's done 138k. Recently I've noticed a diesel smell in the cab and sometimes the servo doesn't seem the best. It works, but if you sort of brake, then change your mind, then brake again it seems to have run out of vacuum.

Also there's a shudder from the engine now and then, and it can sometimes feel a bit flat.

I'm not really familiar with the tandem pump type of set-up. I've pulled the pump off the head, cleaned everything and applied blue hylomar to the gasket. One leak cured, but then the pump leaked from the end casing.

So I've blue hylomared the gasket and end casing, it's now much much better but there is a very small leak still.

The performance has also seemed to improve, no hesitation of sorts, no juddering, but still a small leak.

Has anyone ever had any success replacing the seal kit as per eBay, or my local scrappy has one for a reasonable price? Do these pumps wear internally or could it just be O ring failures?

Also does anyone have a list or diagram of what the torques for the bolts should be please? I've read of pumps still leaking because they weren't torqued right during the recall?

Thanks for reading, hope it's not too obvious a question.

Last edited:

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta wagon BEW; 2015 Passat SE CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA
At least on this side of the pond where rebuilt kits are impossible to find, usually the best solution is to replace the pump with a new Bosch one.

In my experience, the Bosch ones tend to leak less than the Pierburg ones.

Good luck.

Chunky2778

TDI
Alhambra PD130
Thanks, I believe it's an LUK pump, but either way, do these sound like symptoms of a faulty tandem pump?

I drove another PD engined vehicle today, albeit a 1400 3 cylinder PD, it had a very similar looking pump and took around 7 to 8 pumps of the pedal before the brakes went hard, mine takes three if I'm lucky.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2007 Seat Alhambra 2L tdi
I think if they fail internally you get a mix of oil and diesel but can't remember if it's fuel in the oil or the other way.

As for a gasket kit I wouldn't hesitate trying one off ebay if I couldn't source one more local.

As for the brake servo you could check the pipe going to it isn't cracked and leaking vac.