PD130/160 Intakes

andreigbs

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
No one knows whether these two pipes would work on a BEW? I'm looking for info to help me decide how to improve the intake system, like using the snorkle and airbox from the PD170s, MAF housing and hopefully one of these two intake pipes. Anyone have a clue?

andreigbs

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
OK, nevermind guys. Spent 1 hr. searching and found several threads, although they were about ALH engines getting outfitted with these bad boys. From the look of things, it should be easier for the PD. Now to find the rest of the components, like MAF, intake itself, airbox and snorkle...

I have too much free time, i know....

LurkerMike

Veteran Member
TDI
-Whitey: 2000 Jetta GLS, Red: 2000 Jetta GLS 5-speed
you need to see how the PD150 intake works with the larger airbox to turbo pipe.

I hope to develop a silicone hose from the airbox to the turbo because of its insulative quality should help keep the intake air cooler than with a metal pipe and silicone can be formed into the shape needed to get the most cross-section into the available space.

but I would hope that any such hose I would develop would work with both the VE and PD OEM intakes as well as the PD150 intake. the first step will be figuring out the differences between them.

I forgot you have a PD and aren't too far across town from me.

Will you be my PD Guinea Pig? :D

andreigbs

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
What would you need exactly? Does this mean I get a discount??? You do great work Mike, I just need the finances for one of your 2.5" stainless exhaust, WITH downpipe. Let me know what you have in mind re: test-fitting stuff.

LurkerMike

Veteran Member
TDI
I'll give you a shout in couple or three weeks.

I don't think my ALH version upper pipe will work on the PD's because the PD's use the crack pipe connector. So I will need to make a hose to solve this issue.

The same thing on the lower pipe. I have a VNT-17 to model the lower PD pipe and hoses on, but it would be nice to verify the fit on a local PD myself.

When I ever get started on the huge silicone hose OMI airbox to turbo pipe, having access to a PD will be essential to making sure one hose will fit both the VE and the PD and hopefully the PD150 intake on either car as well.

andreigbs

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
I don't if OMI would be better; these are OEM-type fit and form, they look well-designed and executed.

The PD130 plastic pipe is $196, while the PD160 aluminum pipe is $235 on sale. I dunno if aluminum is a better choice, seems like it would conduct more heat. What say the experts?

joolstdi

Veteran Member
TDI
golf GT TDI 110 AHF
I was thinking just that!!

that the pd130 plastic pipe would be a better choice.

has anybody tryd both and seen a difference in either.

joolstdi

LurkerMike

Veteran Member
TDI
Silicone will beat them all! :D

I think the KERMA OMI is around $160... check and make sure.

It comes down to whether you want to pay extra for the OEM look or not.