Pd105 bxe upgrades?

TouranMan

TDI
VW touran 1.9 tdi pd105 bxe
Hi all I have a vw touran bxe pd105 if had it mapped what other enhancements would gain me more power?
What injectors can I fit to enhance ?
Would a straight pipe improve performance ?
Any help appreciated

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
audi a4 2.5 tdi 98 quatrro 6speed
You need to upgrade the rods and get better rod bearings before your engine’s rods make a run through the side of the block ! BXE is really bad at that, mapping it just shortens it’s life considerably!
I was working on a few 1.9 pd tdi engine’s lately, an Leon in particular had bent rods from just a rubbish map and a cheap hybrid turbo. With a slightly better turbo (not built by me!), rebuilt engine and a top end overhaul, the car is making really good power across the range ! How long will it hold ? Time will tell…

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
audi a4 2.5 tdi 98 quatrro 6speed
Usually the rod bolts shear on the bxe due to cheap, low quality oil but it’s often the camshaft that go 1st ! As a minimum upgrade the rod bolts to ARL spec ones, they are 12.9 tensile grade vs 10.9 on the lower power engines. Also I recommend sputter bearings for the rod bolts, they are going trough immense stress on modified engines and you want piece of mind really ! I would also stress going to a larger turbo as they are more linear in torque delivery, as I mentioned above I have fixed a few of them 105 Bhp engine with bent rods due to small, punchy turbos that boost too much, too quick ! Also fit an EGT gauge to keep an eye on exhaust temps, small turbos tend to boost creep on re-maps with poor vnt control !

reince

TDI
2006 Beetle
Usually the rod bolts shear on the bxe due to cheap, low quality oil but it’s often the camshaft that go 1st ! As a minimum upgrade the rod bolts to ARL spec ones, they are 12.9 tensile grade vs 10.9 on the lower power engines. Also I recommend sputter bearings for the rod bolts, they are going trough immense stress on modified engines and you want piece of mind really ! I would also stress going to a larger turbo as they are more linear in torque delivery, as I mentioned above I have fixed a few of them 105 Bhp engine with bent rods due to small, punchy turbos that boost too much, too quick ! Also fit an EGT gauge to keep an eye on exhaust temps, small turbos tend to boost creep on re-maps with poor vnt control !
Alright, I will tip him when he visits the shop early next year. He took his Wrangler the other day for the installation of the suspension and skid plates from 4Wheelonline. I think he is ok with a bigger turbo.