PD injector install

bencarr23

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2013 white
PD INJECTOR REMOVAL and Install

OK THIS IS TAKE 2 . ill do it in spurts to make sure i dont waist an hour and a half again. this post will take me a couple of days to finish as i have to collect all my pics. and i dont have the book so i will not have trq's so if you do feel free to chime in.

OK here we go . first you need to remove the up pipe from the IC and the shutter valve on the intake manifold. i sugest a towle to place everything on so you dont loose them and now is also the time to clean them . next thing you need to do is remove the TB cover i dont have a pic of this so sorry . as i remember its just clips . then you need to remove the EGR plunger . It has 3 hexegonal bolts holding it into the intake manifold.
first you want to unplug it. then remove the 3 bolts 1 on top 1 on botom and one that is under the plug you can barely see in this pic.

Next you discon the hose from the valve cover breather to the down pipe. Then you need to loosen the captive bolts that hold the valve cover down. they are captive so do not pull them out. Three of these also hold your fuel rail inplace. once you remove the valve cover it will look like this.
you can see the hole where the egr plunger goes

Also cover the TB to keep from nicking it or getting oil on it.

as you can see i put towels in the block under the injectors . thats to keep everything out of the engine. there are oil drain holes there.

Now you need some tools to remove the injectors a 12 point triple square wrench set. plus a small crowbar.

now you need to remove the 1st 4 bolts from one of the rockers that are bolted to the head and rest on the cam. i started on the left and worked right. once you remove these 4 bolts you can remove it or do as i did and just rotate it back and sit it on the cam . there is no need to mess with the lock nut over the injector it is not connected to it. at this time measure the gap between the injector and the block on the right of the injector. i used a feeler guage. (again if you have a book here is were to put your 2 cents) i just put them all at the same gap and its fine. if you dont your car will sound like its caming. but only at idle. by gap i mean if you turn it more left or right the gap will change.

Here is the vid for this part. http://media.putfile.com/VW-PD---TDI-Injector-Removal

Now you need to discon. the plugs from the injectors . be very carfull not to break them . i used a set of pliers and went really slowly. their really in there.

Next you need to remove the bolt that holds in the wedge on the left side of the injectors. once you get it out slide out the wedge . you might have to pry the injector back and forth a little to get the wedge out.

Once you got the wedge out your ready to pull out the injector. its better if you do this while the engine is warm .(not hot) but warm. B/C the injector is held in by orings . so now just move it back and forth with the crowbar this will loosen it. then really slowly pry it out. once you got it out cover the hole to make sure nothin gets down into it.
due this for every injector.

here it is with the injector removed . you can also see the rocker rolled back off or the injector and cam.

This is the injector as you will get it from kerma. see the cap on the tip make sure and pull it off . i got in a hurry . the wife was blowing up my phone. well a long story short i put the 2nd one in with out taking it off and i broke the wedge bolt off in the head and its a real pain b/c its right by the head wall on the left. And the concave piece on the top the one you can see sticking outat the bottom of this pic and will see in other pics i post will come out so be carefull.

INSTALL
i dont have much for this just put it back the way it came apart.

You need to lube the orings on the injector i used veg oil. then once you got it together pull the glowplugs out be carefull not to drop them as i have heard they are easy to damage. turn the engine over a couple or times this will shoot out any extra fuel that is in the engine . once you do this put the glow plug back in and start her up. and enjoy.

there are more pics ont the way and any thing else any one knows from the book ill also put in here

the vids are not much but they're somthin at least.

When i do the swap next time when i get the UFO's ill vid the whole thing and put it on dvd or cd so i can give it out.

Last edited:

bencarr23

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2013 white
ok good it post i was alittle worried. ok ill have the rest or the pics posted by tomorrow morning . and if there are any Q's that i didnt adress feel free to ask so i can edit the instal

bencarr23

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2013 white
Thanks ! i plan on doing the same thing for my axle upgrade and for the turbo swap.

i had to use pics from both installs to get the right stuff . i still think i got more at home so ill look when i go home on leave. i hope this helps .

Last edited:

devonutopia

Top Post Dawg
TDI
PD300 Skoda Fabia
on the re-install, isn't it essential that the injectors are prepped somehow, or setup at a certain angle or something? I was put off from a DIY injector swap due to this confusion with installing the new ones....

GlowplugDub

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI
Well Ben, looks like I wasnt the only one full of questions here. Thanks for taking the time to post all this info. I have the boost guage in my car so now I can start doing some engine work starting with a new set of injectors!

bencarr23

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2013 white
devonutopia said:
on the re-install, isn't it essential that the injectors are prepped somehow, or setup at a certain angle or something? I was put off from a DIY injector swap due to this confusion with installing the new ones....

by angle do you mean like i said the way they are turned. i just made the gap equall between them and the block wall. which made them straight. and the rocker arms will push them back down when you reinstall them . ive ran 10 to 15 runs at the track with them and 20,000 miles or more with no problems.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Some torque specs

I checked Bentley and found some additional information for this.

• Tightening sequence is to hand tighten the inner two bolts on each set, then the outer two bolts, then, in the same sequence go to final torque of 20 Nm plus an additional 1/4 turn. It also notes to always replace these bolts.
  • Injector hold down bolts are torqued to 12 Nm then an additional 3/4 turn. Again it notes to always replace these bolts.
  • Rocker arm cover bolts are 10 Nm with a dab of sealant at the edges of front and rear bearing cap to head junction.
  • The injectors are turned so the wire connector comes out of the injector at a right angle to the centerline of the camshaft. they give measurements, (+/-0.8 mm) but getting them back to what they were to start with looks like it is very good.
  • Bentley backs off the injector adjustment upon removal then readjusts after everything is installed and torqued down. I think that is up to the individual to decide if it is necessary.

bencarr23

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2013 white
thanks alot i need to get the book. i did replace the bolts in the wedges as i had to order new ones anyway .

jnecr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328d
whitedog said:
  • Tightening sequence is to hand tighten the inner two bolts on each set, then the outer two bolts, then, in the same sequence go to final torque of 20 Nm plus an additional 1/4 turn. It also notes to always replace these bolts.
You happen to have the part numbers for these bolts? I received the PD150 injectors from Ben today and would like to get them in this weekend, but it may be next weekend since I don't have everything in order yet.... :(

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
jnecr said:
You happen to have the part numbers for these bolts? I received the PD150 injectors from Ben today and would like to get them in this weekend, but it may be next weekend since I don't have everything in order yet.... :(
I don't have them. I'm Etka poor.

jnecr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328d
Do these look like the ones Bentley says need replaced? I don't have a Bentley myself, so I'm just relying on you all. Thanks for the PN Maxcars.

bencarr23

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2013 white
yes it say's to replace those 4 and the 8 that hold down the rocker arms
but i didnt replace them i see no need.

jnecr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328d
I got "those four," the nice lady said they should be at the dealer on Saturday, so it looks like I might be able to actually get the injectors in...

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
bencarr23 said:
yes it say's to replace those 4 and the 8 that hold down the rocker arms
but i didnt replace them i see no need.
Yeah, that 30,000 PSI injection pressure doesn't really mean anything to these torque-to-yield bolts. Same thing with the Torque-to-yield Motor mount bolts. Not a big deal at all.

bencarr23

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2013 white
well if something goes wrong with my car then Ill retract my statement and provide pretty pics of the damage.

Radman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Audi A6 TDI, 2014 Touareg TDI
I did not replace mine either in my PD. Nor did I replace the Motor mount ones on my 2000 Golf even after 2 timing belt changes and one clutch change. Never had an issue and the car has over 200000 KM now. Not saying its not a good idea to change them, but I dont feel it is necessary either.

bencarr23

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2013 white
whitedog said:
Yeah, that 30,000 PSI injection pressure doesn't really mean anything to these torque-to-yield bolts. Same thing with the Torque-to-yield Motor mount bolts. Not a big deal at all.

Ok the motor mount bolts are strech bolts correct.??? I do not think the ones in th engine are the same . Im sure of it . i actually broke one bc i got in a hurry and f'd up. It def. did not look anything like the stuff the strech bots are made of. I could be wrong like i said.

Oh and im still going to edit the install but the 2 times ive tried my net screws up. i usually have to do these twice to get them to post. Esp. now that its hot all the ac's cause power spikes.
(118 in the shade and it still not dun climbing here)

Ben

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
You can't tell if a bolt is torque to yield by looking at it. Still trying to figure out how to tell though...

milehighassassin

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Golf TDi PD, Reflex Silver
I would think it is worth replacing.... What do those 4 bolts cost? Maybe $1.25 a piece? So it costs you an extra $5, then you replace the 8 others for a grand total of an extra $15. Well worth it IMHO.