PD injector hold-down bolt specifications

danielhf

Veteran Member
TDI
None anymore...
Does anybody know te specs of the stretch bolt that goes into the injector hold-down block inside a PD head? I am planning on swapping injectors tomorrow and would like to replace these bolts with non-stretch versions (I also don't want to pay dealer process on them and would like to be able to reuse them).

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
6x60 or 6x65? Shoot, can't remember. All I know for certain is I have boxes of 6x50 6x55 6x60 and 6x65 bolts at home for the injectors and cam journal caps.

danielhf

Veteran Member
TDI
None anymore...
Farfromovin said:
6x60 or 6x65? Shoot, can't remember. All I know for certain is I have boxes of 6x50 6x55 6x60 and 6x65 bolts at home for the injectors and cam journal caps.
Thanks for the reply man. They ended up being 6x64 (confirmed by ETKA), so I just went to Fastenal and got some 6x1x65 for the job.

Golden Dub

Dub Life: the only way to live!
TDI
2012 Golf
You cannot use the same torque to tighten the bolts. I think those torques were designed to be used with the stretching bolts. If you use a non stretching bolt you might damage the block.

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
danielhf said:
Thanks for the reply man. They ended up being 6x64 (confirmed by ETKA), so I just went to Fastenal and got some 6x1x65 for the job.
Fastenal rules! (except I always want 4 bolts and they always sell me a box of 50!)

vwcandy said:
If you use a non stretching bolt you might damage the block.
Nah, I don't think the injector hold down bolts are that long. :p

danielhf

Veteran Member
TDI
None anymore...
darkhorse said:
How about the rocker arm bolts? Are they the same specs?
The rocker arm bolt specs can be found in this thread:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=2814302&postcount=154

As originally posted by jjordan11:
jjordan11 said:
Injector rocker arm bolts, OEM on right
M8X1.25X90mm 6mm allen headed bolt torqued to 44nm w/5w-30
and

jjordan11 said:
Camshaft cap bolts
M6X1.00X54mm 5mm allen headed bolt torqued to 22nm w/5w-30
and as far as the injector hold-down block bolts as stated earlier in this thread (just to put it all in one post):

danielhf said:
They ended up being 6x64 (confirmed by ETKA), so I just went to Fastenal and got some 6x1x65 for the job.
I'm not sure what to torque them to, but I'll be seeing Matt Whitbread and Jeff Robertson later today when I install my new cam.

BBB129

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon BHW 2004 Jetta 5 spd BEW - 99.5 jetta 5 speed - 1982 Mercedes 300D Manual 4 spd
so i only found the 55 mm m6-1.00 should i worry about that 1mm difference??

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
You're going to have a hard time damaging the block with an injector hold down bolt. I assume it could be possible...somehow, but decidedly not something I'd be worried about.

The head, OTOH...:)

I think you'll want to assemble with the OE cam cap bolts as they have a shoulder to center things on install, yes? Then tighten 'em up most of the way, and then replace 'em one at a time with the non-shouldered, likely non-stretch bolts.
cheers,
Douglas

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
I'd recommend using the OE bolts... Not only are they designed to stretch quite a bit (there's a +3/4 turn/270 degree step in there... it's pretty extreme for a tiny 6 mm diameter bolt), but the underside of the bolt head has a curve to it that interfaces with the injector hold down block to better center it for the high forces required to keep the injector in the cylinder head as it sprays 27,000 PSI fuel pressure into an engine that makes 450 PSI compression and thus far higher cylinder pressures than that... all forces fighting against that little 6 mm bolt to prevent the injector from just being ejected from the engine.

So yeah, I definitely recommend the right bolts and using the factory torque spec.

BBB129

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon BHW 2004 Jetta 5 spd BEW - 99.5 jetta 5 speed - 1982 Mercedes 300D Manual 4 spd
I'd recommend using the OE bolts... Not only are they designed to stretch quite a bit (there's a +3/4 turn/270 degree step in there... it's pretty extreme for a tiny 6 mm diameter bolt), but the underside of the bolt head has a curve to it that interfaces with the injector hold down block to better center it for the high forces required to keep the injector in the cylinder head as it sprays 27,000 PSI fuel pressure into an engine that makes 450 PSI compression and thus far higher cylinder pressures than that... all forces fighting against that little 6 mm bolt to prevent the injector from just being ejected from the engine.

So yeah, I definitely recommend the right bolts and using the factory torque spec.
yeah but it seems theyve found a good option for reusable, and i gotta save where i can, and it seems franko or somebody has had plenty of good experience with the 12.9 bolts discussed.....

BBB129

Veteran Member
TDI
I get that doing OE bolts is ideal but I’m doing 2 simultaneously and the cost is under $20 for both vs $100+ where I can only use the bolts that cost 5x as much the one time....very hard to justify that.