PD Glow Plug Part Numbers

zslnk

Veteran Member
TDI
E320 CDI, 3rd gen Cummins 2500, ALH Sedan
Hi,
I just replied to another threat with this info but realized it was in the A5 section...

I have a 2006 Jetta Wagon (A4 car, BEW engine, Canadian market) and have a failed glow plug. The original plug that was removed was an NGK Nxxxxx04, the dealer sold me an NGK Nxxxxx08 because they say they replaced the Nxxxxxx04 part. Nowhere do I see that an Nxxxxxx08 is appropriate for a BEW engine. I installed the new plug and the car starts and runs like it should, is this the correct part?
Thanks

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
Both of those P/Ns are BRM glow plugs. N10591609 is what was intended for the BEW. (same GP, just slightly shorter than the BRM units)

Whether they will work OK, I have no idea.

Alchemist

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 ALH Golf
I have been running a set of the N105 916 08 for almost three years now without problem. The N105 916 09 are quite a bit less expensive, but either one works.

Paul

zslnk

Veteran Member
TDI
Ok.
I don't think we can say that the nxxxxxx04 is a Brm plug as that's what the factory put into my late production bew. There is lots of conflicting information out there about this stuff.

I've owned this car since new and it hasn't been to the dealer for any glow plug work.

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
Hi,
I just replied to another threat with this info but realized it was in the A5 section...

I have a 2006 Jetta Wagon (A4 car, BEW engine, Canadian market) and have a failed glow plug. The original plug that was removed was an NGK Nxxxxx04, the dealer sold me an NGK Nxxxxx08 because they say they replaced the Nxxxxxx04 part. Nowhere do I see that an Nxxxxxx08 is appropriate for a BEW engine. I installed the new plug and the car starts and runs like it should, is this the correct part?
Thanks
The '08 NGK plug is the replacement for the '04 ending part number glow plug. I do know that there were a few BEW engines that came from the factory equipped with the NGK '04 glow plugs. I also think they may have a different glow plug controller than the BEWs that had the '01 Bosch ceramic glow plugs. Basically, these fairly few BEWs had the same glow plug system (and posiblely diesel injectors) as the BRM, so what the dealer is telling you is not too far fetched. There was also a very early recall for 2004 model year BEWs with hard cold starting that converted the glow plug system and injectors to the system the BRM used and the '04 glow plug was used, the glow plug controller was changed, and all four pump injectors were replaced.

I would use the '08 plug the dealer sold you. In this case, I think it is correct and matched to the fuel injector.

IIRC, the main difference between the '09 NGK plug and the '08 NGK is the '08 us a tad longer.

--Nate

Last edited:

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
I seriously doubt that glow plugs have anything to do with the fuel injectors. I think VW switched to the shorter NGKs for the BEWs because they have recessed valves and flat top pistons. The BRM has valve cutouts in the pistons like ALHs.

shuswap

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Golf TDI BEW auto
FWIW:
I've used the NGK metal/ceramic tip 7 volt GP, part number N105 916 09 for almost 2 years now in my BEW PD and they look perfect and work pretty well.

The engine is a little rough on very cold start-up, but other than that there has been no issue of any kind.

I replaced mine when the stock N105 916 02 7V plugs began to fail and I found a significant chunk of ceramic missing. The dealer told me there was no recall support here in Canada, so I bought a full set of new NGKs from one of the supportive suppliers for $42, all in, and haven't looked back!!

No re-flash required.

zslnk

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for the info, the '08 plug is in and working like it should. Just for interest the car was throwing a cyl 3 code and all plugs tested the same at 0.5ohm. I also put an Ammeter on the plugs and all were drawing similar current. I suspected the harness until I swapped cyl2 And cyl3 plugs and the code moved to cyl2. There was an issue though as the car was lumpy to start.

Upon removal I shorted the plug out when connected to the harness and it would not glow.

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
Maybe the glow plug post is a little corroded. I was getting periodic GP codes for the #3 and sometimes #2 GP and all four ohmed at 0.6 ohms and I lightly sanded the glow plug terminal posts and the insides of the GP harness contacts and that was the end of all GP codes.

--Nate