PD Forum Posting Guidelines -- Please Read First

Status
Not open for further replies.

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
Welcome to the forum covering the PD (Pumpe-Duese, or "Pump Nozzle") TDI engines.

This forum was conceived at a time before the PD engine was commonplace in the North American VW line-up. Beginning in the 2004 model year, however, VW introduced the Golf, Jetta and New Beetle with a 1.9L PD TDI engine developing 100 BHP and 177 lb.ft. of torque. Shortly thereafter, the Passat was also introduced with a 2.0L PD TDI with 134 BHP and 247 lb.ft. of torque. The Touareg is also available with a 5.0L V10 TDI with 310 HP and 553 lb.ft or torque, which -- you guessed it -- also incorporates PD technology.

As the PD engine has completely eclipsed the older distributor-pump TDIs in the North American line-up beginning in 2004, we are in the midst of reviewing, with member feedback, the relevance of maintaining this forum, since questions and discussions pertaining to the PD engine can and are covered in the respective model-specific forums and other topical forums (e.g. Fuels/Lubricants, Performance Enhancements, Fuel Economy, Biodiesel, Upgrades, etc.).

You may have noticed recently that large number of threads have been moved from this forum to other forums more relevant to the respective thread topics.

It it requested that threads posted here be specific to the PD engine, and that other topics (e.g. performance enhancements for the PD, VW 505.01 oil, Biodiesel use in the PD engines, to name just a few) be posted in the most appropriate forums respectively (e.g. TDI Performance Enhancements, TDI Fuels/Lubricants, Biodiesel).

As always, member feedback to make navigating the forums easier and improving the experience at TDICLUB.COM are welcome and encouraged. You may put forth your suggestions here, or better, in the Suggestions forum. Note that the moderators reserve the right to remove or edit off-topic posts in this thread.

Anyone who would also like to contribute to a "PD FAQ" to supplement the TDIFAQ are also welcome and asked to come forward. The PD FAQ will be made a sticky thread on the top of the PD forum for new readers to get a primer to the PD engine, and as a handy reference for PD owners.

With kind regards

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
Suggestions forum, we have a suggestions forum?
Sike. I just don't get a chance to read there very often.

Nice write-up Dave!!

Lito

DickSilver

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 B5.5V, 1996 B4V
My vote is to end use of the PD forum now, and let the model-specific forums handle the traffic.

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
I disagree. There is enough that is different about this engine to warrant it's own forum. Moreover, the engine is still relatively new on the market, and some issues specific to it may not have surfaced yet. It will be nice, when one does have a problem with a PD, to be able to search a specific forum rather than wade through hundreds of pages of non-pertinent info just to find a scrap of PD information. This is particularly signficant given that the search engine is often down during peak hours.

Maybe when more than 50% of TDIs on the road are PDs I'll agree with you but with the longevity of these engines that may take a while

Rustynuts

Veteran Member
TDI
VW Jetta 2.0ltr Sport TDI
My vote is to end use of the PD forum now, and let the model-specific forums handle the traffic.
Interesting statement. I see you have a 99 NB which lives in the A4 forum, and a 2004 Passat Variant which has its own forum for B5's (including engine and bodywork.).

However, for those who have a Jetta/Bora, Golf or NB with a PD engine it's a little different. It appears as though we are to become orphans, destined to search between different forums for information, asking questions and receiving answers which are not related to our cars, and as "PlaneCrazy" points out, wading through pages of non pertinent information.

The PD engine is far more popular in Europe with many more of them sold, and as they are now the standard for N.A./Canada are going to become more popular over there and people start talking about closing down the discussion area for the only available Golf,Jetta,NB new diesel engine.

While my view is from a slightly different perspective it may not be relevant to some people here, but in a few years time, your situation will be equal to mine. When the older 90hp engine is becoming less popular, and the PD is the dominant unit, things will be different.

Anyway, It's not my TDIClub and I'm only here cos I enjoy it. I have no say in what happens, but I believe that the decision has already been made to end the PD section and it's just a matter of talking about it long enough. If you close this section I'll spend more time in the A4 section, as will others.

Kabin

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta '04 PD TDI/Tip
As as been said very well, for now there may not be many PD owners, but this will change. In a few years the tail will be wagging the dog. Maybe that's a good thesis for a new PD forum/website.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Anyway, It's not my TDIClub and I'm only here cos I enjoy it. I have no say in what happens, but I believe that the decision has already been made to end the PD section and it's just a matter of talking about it long enough. If you close this section I'll spend more time in the A4 section, as will others.
Whoever said this Rustynuts? Can you please show me? 'cause I sure missed it.

If you read what Dave (TDIMeister) has written, he is reminding all of you NEW PD owners that this forum is supposed to be focused on the PD ENGINE. Not CCV mods, not 505.01, not Rocketchip tuning, not PSI boxes, not about brakes, not fuel additive, not wheels, not zerostart heaters, block heaters or coolant heaters.

The problem is almost all of the PD owners are newbies, who really need to spend time in the 101 section and time reading though other portions of this website. What do you think other people do? How do you think other people learn?

The fact is the ONLY significant difference between the PD's and the TDI's is the Engine, ECU, Cluster(face only). They've improved the suspension, transmission but they remain basically the same. So that's what this forum is supposed to focus on. Everything else, you can find OUTSIDE the PD section. Nobody has decided to close anything.

So here's my prediction:

The PD owners haven't had to change timing belts yet, or brakes, rotors, transmission fluid, and many have not modded the ECU or Injectors for performance. One day, after you all learn that the brakes, rotors, brake pads, tranny fluid, air filter, oil changes, fuel filter replacement, cabin filter are the same on my 2000 Jetta TDI, you'll stop posting these topics in the PD section.

Instead, we'll get post about what is actually DIFFERENT from the TDI and then this forum section will really be a great resource for the PD folks. Just because the 90hp TDI will get old, doesn't mean everything that is the same will suddenly change; the new MKV will do that.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Is it OK to post about how the dealer has been dealing with the PD since it is relatively new to them?

I'll hold my tongue on the rest of what I was going to say.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
Does it have anything to do with the Engine? If not, General TDI dicussion.
Yes, because it is about the learning curve of the dealers dealing with the engine and it's idiosyncrasies.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yes, because it is about the learning curve of the dealers dealing with the engine and it's idiosyncrasies
Still sounds like it's about the dealers and not the engine. If you've got information about the PD engine(different from the ALH) that hasn't been posted yet then by all means.

If you're just telling a story about how the dealers are approching working on PD's then that's a General Discussion item.

Somone who doesn't own a PD, might have something useful to contribute to your topic who otherwise would never look in the PD section.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
My point is that one person may feel that it is about PD engines, but another may not.

As long as the engine is involved, I see no reason why it can't be posted here due to the fact that it is about how the dealer dealt with a PD specific issue .

Rustynuts

Veteran Member
TDI
Whoever said this Rustynuts? Can you please show me? 'cause I sure missed it.
This was a direct quote from my post. Not something I found and re quoted.

In political circles this is a recognised way of winding down an operation, forcing people to not use something and then saying there's no demand for it. Moving threads not directly related to the PD engined cars to other forums is all well and good, and I presume the moderators will also be patroling the other forums and moving relevant threads
to the PD forum where necessary?

The 505.01 / 506.01 oil issue is a big enough concern in my eyes to warrant inclusion in the PD forum as this is specific to PD engines. If they (Moderators) think otherwise then fair enough, but be fair and move biodiesel to the fuels and lubes section also. It is basically just a diesel fuel (flame suit on).

They may close down the section, or make it a sticky with an explanation of how the PD engine differs from the other engines and lock it (for viewing and information purposes only) or keep it in any version or format. I don't have any issues with any of these courses of action, they may do as they wish. All I am doing is making an observation as I see the situation. Another thing I observe is that the Moderators of this forum do not drive PD engined cars. Their view of what relates directly to PD's may differ from the people who actually have the engines in question.

Nothing I say here is intended to argue either for or against the use of the PD forum for any discussions, just my personal views to be taken only as opinions. If they help in some way to decide any issues then OK. If not, then you may ignore them. I take no issues with any replies up to now and I ask that this not develope into a personal argument. That is NOT my intent here.

Cheers.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I presume the moderators will also be patroling the other forums and moving relevant threads to the PD forum where necessary?
So far, that's not even close to being a problem.

Moderators of this forum do not drive PD engined cars
Well, Fred and Dave the only moderators here and even though they don't drive them, they understand what is a PD engine issue and what is not.

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
As Lito has stated, there are no definite plans to close this forum down, and I'm not aware myself of any backroom "politicking" going on to wind this forum down. It's just our (Fred's and the collective group of moderators') feeling that this forum has served its role during the time it was conceived as a stopgap section while the PD engine was just a subject in engine development industry journals and little tidbits from our friends on the other side of the Atlantic.

I hope that the poster who said he has no say on the fate of this forum is not serious, as all efforts are being made to hear eveyone's side. In the final analysis, it's Fred's call, not mine nor Lito's nor any of the other moderators'. But I think I know Fred well enough that he will not make his decision in a vacuum, but take everyone's input to heart. So keep them coming!

Also, regarding the post about the mods of this section not owning PD TDIs, that is true. Again, remember that during the time this forum was established a few years ago, PDs had not yet existed in North America, and few if any of our European members had even yet owned one. I volunteered to moderate this forum based on my experience as in insider in the engine design/development industry and knowledge gained on the subject from my day job, as well as my travels to Europe in which I had a chance to drive a PD-engined Audi A3 at considerable length. What is one to do? Buy a PD just to have the right to moderate this forum? A moderator moderates, not claims to know everything about the subject. Although nobody has expressed it before, if there is such an outcry about this, I would gladly stand aside for a PD owner to step up to moderate this section, as I had expressed to Fred from the very beginning.

VW Derf

Administrator
Staff member
TDI
2010 Blue Graphite Pearl Golf Variant
I have to echo Lito and TDIMeisters posts.

The original intent of the PDSection was and always has been the PD engine. As the description has said from day 1: "Discussions about the PD TDI engines". Not the suspension, body or related parts. When the PD first came to Canada and the US it new and there wasn't very much info. This forum is to pool PD related resources between the different PD engines (i.e. the New Passat, 2004+ TDIs,etc). Also to give a spot discuss the PD items.

As for this being a ploy to wind things down, no such thing...

Rustynuts

Veteran Member
TDI
I hope that the poster who said he has no say on the fate of this forum is not serious, as all efforts are being made to hear eveyone's side
OK, taken slightly out of context here, I was meaning that the decision is not mine to make. And also I appreciate that everyones views are being listened to.

What is one to do? Buy a PD just to have the right to moderate this forum?
Not what I meant again. This was an observation not a demand for change. But look at it like this. I don't drive an A3/B4 so I don't see a lot of reason for me to spend much time in those forums. If I was asked whether the two forums should be linked together to provide more space / bandwidth for the new Mk V models forum, I would probably have a different view to Rammstein (eg.) Everyone has their own favorite model and will always favour that model, whether they drive it or not. You have my support as a Moderator and I am in no way demanding you step down. I think the Mods (all of them) have a lot of work to do trying to keep on top of all that's going on and do a good job at it!

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
Guidelines, my sweet bippy. Clutch slippage. Transmissions in Austrailia. Clusters in '04s. What do they all have in common? They are all found in the PD forum.

How the PD engine reacts when run out of fuel? Moved.

berliner178

TDI
Golf 05 Mojave Beige
I wrote two Topics this past week, and both were moved. 1 was asking PD owners if they had any experiance with boost controlers... I thaught it was pretty PD specific, since i wasnt looking for non PD boost controler info. The 2nd post was asking if the Eurojet FMIC was PD compatible... maybe I should have just asked Kerma (I since have) but non the less it was still a PD specific concern.

All I'm saying is it is the moderater which decides what is relivant and what is not, but it seems a little bit tight when I cant ask stuff like the above around this section. If questions like that cant be asked to the general PD comunity in our own area, then maybe there isnt a point to this section anymore. Maybe I should just ask the masses and wade through tons of info which doesnt pertain to my vehicle just wishing I could find one good fact to help me out.

Also I understand the importance of all the other sections, so I drop in and read and look around at FAQ's and threads. Just wish this one was more hospitable.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I have both a VE and PD. There are differences but not that many. People need to look in the General Discussion and Maintenance section first because 99% of the information is already there and they are too lazy to search or read.

X_Railroader

Veteran Member
TDI
none
Lito.

Been there and saw lotsa stuff on other than PD's.
Was just wondering if there was a better place for this info

PS put me down for the Impexfest
I plan to be there Friday to help with the erection, like 2 years ago....

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
X_Railroader said:
PS put me down for the Impexfest
I plan to be there Friday to help with the erection, like 2 years ago....
OK. You like your TDI just a bit too much. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.