Pd Faq?

Status
Not open for further replies.

berliner178

TDI
Golf 05 Mojave Beige
Is there a PD faq on this site? We should have one to tell the differences of PD's and older TDI's to the less knowledgable members such as myself.

Right now i'm trying to find what Turbo is used on a PD. I keep seeing turbos refered to as VNT-17's and other names... whats all this mean?

Another sugestion is maybe the addition of a subforum for PD performance, since it seems alot of things done on older TDI's cant yet be aplied to PD's. Maybe im just clueless, but it seems like a good idea to me.

sharptdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
Stock turbo on a pd100 motor is the KP39. The VNT-15 came on the non PD tdis here in the us. In europe there are higher hp TDIs offered because of their better fuel quality. These cars have the VNT-17 on them. VNT-17 can push more air and run higher boost than the VNT-15. The KP39 on our PD cars here in the states is somewhere between the VNT-15 and VNT-17 as far as durability and performance goes.

The KP39 can handle about 22-23 psi of boost max before reliability becomes an issue. I am not sure what the limit is for the VNT-17, but I believe it is somewhere closer to 25 or 26psi. Someone correct me if im wrong on this.

Anyways, hope this helps

Walter

PS - I agree that it would be nice to have a PD performance section:D

Last edited:

dave333

Veteran Member
TDI
Did own... None right now!
sharptdi said:
The KP39 can handle about 22-23 psi of boost max before reliability becomes an issue.

Anyways, hope this helps

Walter

Walter,

It did help! Now, as far as the max boost, are you talking sustained boost levels, say 3-4-5-6-7 seconds worth or are you referring to 1-2 second spikes?

Right now, my PD100 is spiking to 24psi. It is so quick, I never see the number on the digital gauge, but the max is recorded in my SPA boost gauge.

Just curious and wondering how quickly I'll need a VNT-17...

sharptdi

Veteran Member
TDI
I wouldnt worry about these numbers. When I first got chipped I got on it a little too hard below 2000 rpm and saw spikes to over 30psi. This prompted me to get a boostvalve installed ASAP! My turbo now spikes to about 25 or 26 and settles to around 20-21 and then climbes up to 24 at high rpms in fourth and fifth (WOT over 90mph). It also tends to act funny in third sometimes. It almost seems like the turbo and the N75 valve are fighting eachother as the boost will float back and fourth between 19 and 22psi most of the way through third gear. There is at least one member on this forum who is running 23psi continuous on the stock turbo.

I did a long hard run up to over 100mph a couple weeks ago and the car ran at 25psi for about 5 seconds before going into limp mode at roughly 120mph(it started climbing from around 20 when I hit 100 in 5th). I DO NOT recommend doing this as it is probably not good for the turbo at all. This being said, my car spikes to 25-26 and runs 20psi all day long without any complaint. The member who is running 23 psi continuous on his car has been doing so for the past 50k mi without any problems.(I believe Deathengine is the person I am speaking of....do a search and you should find his posts where he talks about it)

I have yet to read about one of these turbos failing. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but as far as I know these turbos have taken everything we have thrown at them so far without a complaint.

I would love to hear if there is anyone who is running higher than 23 continuous, and if so how long has it been this way. It seems that these turbos are quite tough and can take alot of abuse without breaking.

I do have a question for those of you who understand the turbo better than I do. The stock boost pressure for this engine is 16psi. I now have RC2 and am running 20psi. But when accelerating at about 1/3 to 1/2 throttle, when the turbo reaches 16psi I hear something open up and vent air. In lighter load conditions (1/2 throttle or less) the boost will actually back off to about 13psi without moving the gas pedal any. Is this the N75 valve venting air in an attempt to control the boost? If so, is there any way to adjust this?

Thanks,

Walter

dave333

Veteran Member
TDI
That's all very good info, Walter. Thank you!

I've read a ton on this board, so a lot of my info is pretty jumbled, but doesn't bencarr run consistently high boost? He's got a pretty built PD, that is for sure!

sharptdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes, bencarr23 has done more work than the rest of us with the 1.9pd so far. Unfortunately, from what I have read he is only getting 20psi with RC3 instead of 21.5 like I think he should. A dyno with RC3 only showed he had 127 whp. His car seems to be doing great now! Last I saw he had over 150hp with Race Injectors. I hope to get some money saved up by the time KERMA releases the PP series injectors for the PD motor! Once I have these installed as well as a FMIC, im going for RC4 and we will really see what this KP39 turbo can take! And if/when it fails, I am probably going to switch over to a wg turbo. Mainly b/c there are so many options and they are much more solid units. No more worrying about weak shafts. I have no problem with a sec or two of lag....cause ill sure be smiling once it spools up!

dave333

Veteran Member
TDI
sharptdi said:
I hope to get some money saved up by the time KERMA releases the PP series injectors for the PD motor! Once I have these installed as well as a FMIC, im going for RC4 and we will really see what this KP39 turbo can take! And if/when it fails, I am probably going to switch over to a wg turbo. Mainly b/c there are so many options and they are much more solid units. No more worrying about weak shafts. I have no problem with a sec or two of lag....cause ill sure be smiling once it spools up!
Are you considering the half-shafts too? How do you plan on getting and keeping the tires hooked up to the tarmac after going to more smiles per mile? :D

sharptdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Surprisingly, I have seen several people with 200+hp and 350+ torque running on stock shafts. As far as traction, im hoping to get a peloquin torque biasing differential and I will be going to 225 tires. I'll still have to take it easy in first and second im sure. Hopefully if the boost and fuel are turned down some below 2000 or 2100 wheelspin wont be too bad.

Unfortunately, it seems that my car money keeps getting sucked up by other things lately:( Hopefully after christmas I will be ready to get the mods rolling.

Status
Not open for further replies.