PD engines running B100

Pump Duece

TDI
06&09 jetta
I apologize in advance if this question has been asked before but i couldn't find it with the search function.
I want to ask anybody who has been running B100 for a while (30,000+) for their stories. I have a friend who is willing to try bio but wants to hear from other people that it won't hurt PD's.
thanks.

Pump Duece

TDI
06&09 jetta
vwrobert51 said:
You Best Be Only Using B-5 If You Want Waranty On Fuel Systems:eek:
I know the waranty thing but it's been my experience that most of the vw dealers are not willing to do waranty work anyway so i say screw it:cool: . thanks for the warning though.

dewsweeper

Asa's06jetta said:
I know the waranty thing but it's been my experience that most of the vw dealers are not willing to do waranty work anyway so i say screw it:cool: . thanks for the warning though.

Are you and your friend one and the same person? :confused: Or are you willing to take the risk with his car?

Anyway, just kiddin' ya. Also wanting to hear stories.

Kai

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI wagon manual; 2006 Jetta TDI sedan manual
There was a long discussion of this a few months ago. My own experience was having VW deny a warranty claim due to a failed fuel transfer pump which they blaimed on biodiesel. I also have a TDI PD engine. I suppose it depends on your dealership, but VW sometime does deny warranty claims. Good luck.

Pump Duece

TDI
06&09 jetta
dewsweeper said:
Are you and your friend one and the same person? :confused: Or are you willing to take the risk with his car?

Anyway, just kiddin' ya. Also wanting to hear stories.
No, I love Bio, my friend bought a TDI about a month after I bought mine:p (although he was planning on getting one for about a year prior) I am willing to pay for any troubles that occur but, then again; i don't really believe that there'll be any. Any stories would be appreciated though.

fish_on

TDI
2010 Jetta, White, DSG
I have a 05.5 and am just turning 50K the car is almost a year old. I run 2 tanks of B99 every month just to keep things cleaned out and have had no problems. My PD seems to really like the bio, the first tank of regular fuel after the bio seems to pick up 2-3mpg.

Kai

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI wagon manual; 2006 Jetta TDI sedan manual
fish_on said:
I have a 05.5 and am just turning 50K the car is almost a year old. I run 2 tanks of B99 every month just to keep things cleaned out and have had no problems. My PD seems to really like the bio, the first tank of regular fuel after the bio seems to pick up 2-3mpg.
I ran about 12,000 miles on B100 and then the fuel pump failed on my PD TDI. Got burned by the experience and have not yet gone back to bio. I get better mileage with D2, but the main reason I bought the TDI was to run biodiesel.

You hear a lot of conflicting stories. One side says bio will ruin your motor and void your warranty. The other says bio is great for your motor, don't worry about the warranty. VW takes a hard line on one side. Bio producers take a fairly hard line on the other. Then there's you. The VW TDI owner. Thing is, something goes wrong and YOU pay. Not VW. Not your bio supplier. You pay. And/or you get left by the side of the road.

Alternative fuels are in there infancy. Auto manufacturers and bio producers have not come together yet. The fuels don't always match up with the cars. Many of us are trying to do the right thing by running bio. But the industry has a ways to go--both industries--auto and bio.

That's probably more than you wanted to hear . . . .

AudiMatt

TDI
2010 JSW TDi DSG
Is B5 the Warranty limit? I thought I heard B10 at the dealership but I haven't been able to find any info in the owners manual. I also haven't been able to find B10 in the Portland, OR area, only B5 and B20+

Audi5000TDI

Banned
TDI
Passat, 1996, Grey
Check the links on my signature, one of them is VW's position on the subject matter. Hope this helps, might not be what you want to hear, but facts are facts, no stories here.

AudiMatt

TDI
2010 JSW TDi DSG
Thanks that does help, I want to place my vote for Biofuel but not at the expense of the warranty.... We bought a new car for the warranty which hopefully VW will stand behind..... we also bought diesel for the economy but it's not economical to void the warranty.....

kmmcdonald

I have a Jeep Wrangler. The fuel pump failed a few years ago, when the Jeep had less that 5000 miles on it. The vehicle had never been anywhere biodiesel. It uses gasoline, and the fuel pump is submerged in the fuel tank, similar to the Golf, I understand. (It did not occur to me at the time to switch fuels as a future precaution.)

I have another friend with a Jeep. He also had a fuel pump failure. He replaced the fuel pump himself, and that one, too, failed a few weeks later. It has now been running fine for the past several years.

I once had a VW Rabbit. The fuel pump failed on that too, at one point. In fact, I believe that the fuel pump failed twice in the Rabbit's lifetime. The Rabbit used gasoline.

I understand the reticence to continue using biodiesel after such a failure. I too may feel the same way if it had happened to me. But I'm not sure.

Is there any real evidence that biodiesel harms fuel pumps? Or, is fuel pump failure just a higher than average statistical phenomenon, for this vehicle or any other?

vwrobert51

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
KAI you nailed it right!! the way you told it and the results as to were you stand today! like you said both biofuels mfg and auto mfg need to work to set the standards. let kais learned lesson be of value to anyone who is thinking of running anything more than reqamended mfg fuels (b-5) VW, FORD, GM, JEEP, MERC. ALL HAVE THE SAME FUEL POLICY!:cool::)

Pump Duece

TDI
06&09 jetta
alright, not to sound like a jerk but i really didn't want this thread to be another waranty issue. there are already MANY threads dedicated to waranties and bio. i really just wanted stories from people who use bio in their PD's. I realize that threads can drift easily so I'm just trying to keep this one on track. thanks all for the input.

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
Asa, I think this thread is dead for it's intended purpose... just start a new one...

Kai said:
then the fuel pump failed on my PD TDI.
They were failing on D2 as well... :cool:

DrewD

Veteran Member
I ran B100 for half a tank and didn't like it. I'm now running it mixed 75/25 D2/B100 and am satisfied with the results. For some reason my idle was harsher with pure B100 and the powerloss was noticeable.

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Audi TDI Prestige Sport
VWrobert,

Please stop the intimidation tactics!

VW will still work on the PD engine if you use BD. They just won't do it under warrantee if they have an issue.

Just because the writer ignored your "opinion" does not give you the right to intimidate to achieve the same goal.

You and AUDI5000TDI need to just stop trying to control everyone else through lies, intimidation and outright harassment. Maybe it is time for the moderators to block you guys from the BD forum, especially when you keep hijacking them away from the original question and thread for your own agenda?

Last edited:

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2005 TDI GLS, RIP
I think why the situation is so unique to VW is that you really don't hear of anyone home brewing gasoline, now do you? Do you ever hear of anyone thinking of doing so? Hmmmmm...

You don't hear of anyone making biodiesel that is one of the big oil companies now do you? HMMMMMM...

The only biodiesel makers right now are coops and other small concerns, with perhaps the exception of biowillie, which I suspect would be pretty good stuff.

Like Kai says, we are in the infancy of this biofuel. Lets encourage automakers and fuel makers to get together on standards that won't harm warranty needs.

bhtooefr

TDI
None
Actually, I do hear of homebrew ethanol - it's just a royal pain, as to be legal, you have to get a permit from the ATF... (after all, homebrew ethanol is also known as "moonshine" ;))

TomB: Audi'll just hijack threads in other sections that even mention the word "bio"... :rolleyes:

Pump Duece

TDI
06&09 jetta
bhtooefr said:
Actually, I do hear of homebrew ethanol - it's just a royal pain, as to be legal, you have to get a permit from the ATF... (after all, homebrew ethanol is also known as "moonshine" ;))
I just heard that the newest homebrewing technique for ethanol uses expired soda.

SilentRunning

TDI
2005 Passat TDI GLS Wagon
I don't have 30K, but I do have 17K, so take this for what it's worth. I have an '05 Passat wagon and run exclusively B99 (except when I'm on roadtrips). So far, no problems. The car runs quieter and smoother on BioD for sure.

My $.02 on the warranty issue: In the unlikely event that a BioD caused problem arose, I'd much rather pay for a fuel system repair out of my own pocket and be satisfied knowing I was using a renewable, domestic and clean energy source. FWIW.

vwrobert51

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Tomb: Tactics??? I Dont Give A Rats As* What You Put In For Fuel!! Its Just The Ones Like You ,that Want Vw To Warainty Failed Fuel Systems From Using More Than The Required Factory Fuel Spec. And I Didnt State The Vw Wont Work On Biofueled Cars! I Work On Them Every Day! And My Cust Know What Their In For Up Front, If More Than B-5 Your On Your Own, And They Understand It No Hidden Agenda! So Back Off! I Am Just Giving Vws Point Of View To Be Fair.

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Audi TDI Prestige Sport
No tactic, huh?

vwrobert51 said:
good luck finding an outside shop that can work on 2006 tdi:rolleyes:
What? Did you or did you not post this message? This followed your message that VW would not cover warrantee work on a VW using BD.

What was the intent of this message if not to imply VW won't work on your car if use BD and you won't be able to find anyone else either?

C'mon.....

bhtooefr

TDI
None
Yeah, but Asa's06jetta would be in Sandy Eggo = San Diego. Last I checked, that's not the island. :p

vwrobert51

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
what with gekco immoblizes and other advanced eletronics, out side shop repairs are getting locked out, thats what i ment, bio and non bio alike.

bhtooefr

TDI
None
GEKO? That only applies to the, umm, keys and immo.

Everything else doesn't need it, and VAG-COM can get everywhere.

Also observe Right to Repair - that'll solve the GEKO stuff. ;)