• No

Votes: 72 31.3%

• Total voters

hid3

Banned
TDI
Golf V 1.9 TDI-PD 105 HP
Probably not if it is out of warranty.

It seems that frequent engine starts doesn't affect cam wear. People have failed cam/followers with only about 2 starts per day!! :eek:

Waiting/wanting more cam failure (and NOT failure) updates/posts!

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Mercedes E250 Blutec. Previously: 2006 Jetta TDI
Are you saying here that there is fixed, "updated", parts from VW that fix the cam defect?

hdeptech said:
UPDATE:
Engine: BRM
Year: 2006, B.D. 6/2006
Cam failure Y/N, miles: No, but has premature wear on followers( Cam and follower failure)
Type of failure: followers
Full oil service history, type, spec, weight, and brand if you have it:
5k, 10k, 15k,20k,25,30,35,40,50 pinsosynth ts 5-40 505.01
Miles on car: 40k miles,49,990
Engine Mods: None
Number of starts per day, typically: 3-4

New cam Data:

When was cam replaced: Loaded head was replace under wattanty. Head,cam rockers,injectors,harness ect...from the block deck up....As per VW service tecnician stated this is a know issue and VW is aware of this. They have seen many of these. Updated head ( 09 casting Germany) updated cam, updated followers,updated injectors...
Miles on new cam:25
Full oil service history, type, spec, weight, and brand if you have it: n/a
Any issues?: n/a
Any wear?: n/a

Any other data you find important or of interest: 65 miles a day round trip no hard driving. I add standine (sp) addative to every fill up. I do have the " loping idle at times"After repair idle is very smooth,quiet and car has much better repsponse.

oswegoPD

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TSI, 2013 Passat 6M sold, 2012 Jetta Premium DSG sold, 2004 Jetta GL 5M (sold)
Are these being reported to NHTSA to try and get a recall from VW?

Is this mainly a BRM issure? These seem to be much fewer BEW with failures.

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
NHTSA is only interested in safety related defects. I do not see the cam/lifter failure as causing an immediate engine failure and causing a situation that could result in a vehicle collision. It is a gradual failure that first manifests itself in poor running.

Now, I did report to NHTSA when my lift pump failed while driving on the highway, instantly shutting off the engine. That could be dangerous in situations where one can not safely pull over out of the traffic lane.

--Nate

PD Golf

TDI
2005 VW Golf
Engine: BEW
Year: 2005
Cam failure Y/N, miles: No, cam wear to be inspected.
Type of failure: n/a
Full oil service history, type, spec, weight, and brand if you have it: Vehicle purchased at 67K, no written service records, purchased from a knowledgeable owner. Since ownership, Pentosynth 505.01 only, Mann filter.
Miles on car: 74K
Engine Mods: RC+1, EGR block off, DP and muffler delete.
Number of starts per day, typically: 2-4

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
I pulled my valve cover off this weekend to inspect, so figured I should post. Of course I didn't have my camera, but everything looked good.

Year: 2004 (Jetta)
Cam failure Y/N, miles: No, inspected at 99k during timing belt and 109k during oil change.
Type of failure: n/a
Purchased in 06 with 38k (ish), with unknown history. All 505.01 ever since. Changed within 1k of purchase with Amsoil European diesel oil. Then dealer purchased Castrol 5-40, then Dealer Castrol 5-30, then Elf Excellium (IIRC), and the last couple with Total 5-30. Seemed each time I did a change the old oil was obsolete. There may have been a Pentosin in there somewhere?
Miles on car: 109K
Engine Mods: RC+1, EGR block off
Number of starts per day, typically: 2

kstef

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2005.5 Black
Year: 2005.5
Cam failure Y/N, miles: Y 103,100
Type of failure: Rough idle, pulled cover found exhaust lobes wore, lower cam bearins very wore.
Full oil service history, type, spec, weight, and brand if you have it: 5K, 10k, 20k, 30k, 40k, 50k, 60k, 70k, 80k, 90k, 100k (5 and 10 done at dealer) rest done by self. Castrol 505.01 oil from dealer
Miles on car: 103,100
Engine Mods: Frost heater, Kerma tune
Number of starts per day, typically:2-8

New cam Data:
Metalman Kit
Also replace Injector Rockers due to marks/wear.

When was cam replaced: 103,100
Miles on new cam: 1000
Full oil service history, type, spec, weight, and brand if you have it: Shell Roetella 15/40W with 4 oz ZDDP, at cam change and 1000 mile later
Any issues?:
Any wear?:

Any other data you find important or of interest:

Dunno513

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 NB PD-TDI DSG
Year: 2006
Cam failure Y/N, miles: N @ 60k
Type of failure:
Elf DID 5w 40 505.01 @ 2.5k, 5k, 10k, 15k, 20k, 25k, 30k, 35k, 40k, 45k
New Total (Elf) 5w 30 505.01 @ 50k, 55k
Castrol LLX 5w 30 @ 60k & 65k. (little bit of Total and Castrol at 60k)
70k will be back to a 5w40 with Mobil 1 TDT. (or ESP 5w 40)
Miles on car: 67k
Engine Mods: N
Number of starts per day, typically: 2-3 on average. 40 miles one way.

Will be pulling the VC again at 70k while I do my second DSG service early. (only changing 4.5 litres out of 7+ means 40% has been in there for 70k.) 30k DSG OCI from here on out. (still looking for an easy way to do a full drain... suction, mystical hidden drain plug, genie in a bottle...)

Yvez

TDI
2006 Jetta Reflex Silver
Cam failure Y/N, miles: Y - 188,000 km (117,000 mi)
Type of failure: Lobes with excess wear incl. lobes for pump-injectors
Full oil service history, type, spec, weight, and brand if you have it: Castrol (G-052-167-A2) Dealer serviced as per VW service manual (Dealer very reliable)
Miles on car: 188,000 km
Number of starts per day, typically: 2

*** Looking for all the help I can get to battle Volkswagen of Canada over this issue.

Last edited:

CharlieT

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi TTqTDI, B4V, B5.5V, '12 NMS SEL
Engine: BHW
Cam failure Y/N, miles: Yes, 110k miles
Type of failure: Lifter #5 domed, severe wear on lobe #5, general wear on other lobes. LINK
Full oil service history, type, spec, weight, and brand if you have it: VW Dealer serviced for 100k by previous owner. VW Dealer used Castol syntec 5w30 gasser oil every 5k miles :mad:
Miles on car: 110,000 miles
Number of starts per day, typically: 5 (100k to 110k, unknown before)

BogdanWS

TDI
Bora 2001 AJM 116hp
Engine: AJM
Year: 2001
Cam failure Y/N, miles: N
Type of failure: -
Full oil service history, type, spec, weight, and brand if you have it: Dealer Castrol 505.01; after 70k km (44k miles) Aral 431 5w-40 505.01 (germany), every 8k km (5k miles)
Miles on car: 170k km (106k miles)
Engine Mods: MB Pierburg MAF (for approx 60k km)
Number of starts per day, typically: 2-3

Sweeps

Veteran Member
TDI
None currently. MK4/5/6 Jetta's in the past.
I'm a little late posting on this thread, but here are my details,

Cam failure Y/N, miles: Yes, 124,960 miles
Type of failure: One day driving home, started hearing a bupping sound, started losing power, drove 10 km home, and shut it down. Had it towed to the repair shop. Shouldn't have drove the 10km, but mechanic said it didn't do any more damage.
Full oil service history, type, spec, weight, and brand if you have it: I purchased the car at 70,600 miles. All oil changes were at the dealer until 70,600. From 70,600 - 124,960 miles, Motul Specific 5w40 505.01 was used.
Miles on car: Currently at 136,000 miles

New cam Data:

When was cam replaced: Nov 5, 2009 at 124,960 miles
Miles on new cam: 11,040
Full oil service history, type, spec, weight, and brand if you have it: Using Mobil 1 TDT 5w40 since new cam went in.
Any issues?: None
Any wear?: Haven't checked yet.

Last edited:

va_reman

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Package 2
Did you get another OEM Cam or did you go with an aftermarket?

Sweeps said:
I'm a little late posting on this thread, but here are my details,

Cam failure Y/N, miles: Yes, 124,960 miles
Type of failure: One day driving home, started hearing a bupping sound, started losing power, drove 10 km home, and shut it down. Had it towed to the repair shop. Shouldn't have drove the 10km, but mechanic said it didn't do any more damage.
Full oil service history, type, spec, weight, and brand if you have it: I purchased the car at 70,600 miles. All oil changes were at the dealer until 70,600. From 70,600 - 124,960 miles, Motul Specific 5w40 505.01 was used.
Miles on car: Currently at 136,000 miles

New cam Data:

When was cam replaced: Nov 5, 2009 at 124,960 miles
Miles on new cam: 11,040
Full oil service history, type, spec, weight, and brand if you have it: Using Mobil 1 TDT 5w40 since new cam went in.
Any issues?: None
Any wear?: Haven't checked yet.

va_reman

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Package 2
Sweeps said:
I went with OEM, however I was told there was an updated version of the OEM cam.
Do you recall any of the earliest symptoms you noticed, like worst fuel mileage or anything?

Sweeps

Veteran Member
TDI
None currently. MK4/5/6 Jetta's in the past.
va_reman said:
Do you recall any of the earliest symptoms you noticed, like worst fuel mileage or anything?
I had zero symptoms...fuel economy was always the same, power was always there.
I had a slight hesitation around 2000rpm, however that issue is still here after the cam replacement.

Ill be honest, I never did remove the valve cover and have a look. Looking back I should have, but it wouldn't have prevented the inevitable.

One day driving home, the car started the bupping sound, and lost power right away. By then it was too late, cam had failed.

OlyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Golf
Updated 02/26/11

Year: 2004
Cam failure Y/N, miles: N, 68,000
Type of failure: Cam/lifters examined at TDIFest 2010 -- cam looked okay but lifters showed the beginning of crazing.
Full oil service history, type, spec, weight, and brand if you have it: Unkown up to 32000 miles, then once with Castrol 505.01 spec. Then twice with Amsoil 5-40 european, switching to TDT next change.
Miles on car: 68000
Engine Mods: Malone standard BEW Tune, Nicktane Cat 2 fuel filter, Dieselgeek bypass oil filter, Whitedog intake hose fix, FrostHeater.

Number of starts per day, typically: 4-6 -- morning start is heater warmed.

New cam Data: New cam coming 2011 (looking at Colt Stage 2), with nitride lifters when TB gets changed.

When was cam replaced:
Miles on new cam:
Any issues?:
Any wear?:

Last edited:

MarkFX6

TDI
Jetta MkV 2005,5 Platinum; 1982 Rabbit Diesel (just sold;still runs well); 1996 Ford F250 HD Powerstroke Banks Power Pack, etc.
COO: Cylinder head manufactured in Poland
Year:2005.5
Cam Failure: YES, started bupping at 59,900 miles (dealer stated it was a sticky EGR valve),
failed at 89,900.
Type of failure: #3 Exhaust lobe on camshaft
Full Oil Service history: 5000 mile OCI performed by VW dealer using
Castrol TXT 505 01 5W40 to 70000mi; 10000mi
OCI from 70000-failure at 89900.
Miles on car: 89904
Mods: none
Starts per day: 2 M-F, 2-4 on S-S
New Cam Data: VW parts performed by VW dealer
Date of Cam Replacement: 2010-04-10
Oil Service History: none yet
Issues: None yet, besides the bill.
Wear: Only to drive 4 miles from dealer to house.
Other Info: Daily travel: start up to interstate 4 miles of warm up, 190 degrees, cruising speed 65-75mph, 4 miles of warm down at end. Weekends: 5-10 mile trips after warm up.

Dealer has been good to me and tried to help to the best of their ability. As we know, VW-USA denies a problem and will not put out a Tech Service Bulletin. My dealer has to this date only replaced 3 camshafts in PD's to my knowledge. VW-USA defrayed part of the total repair costs after 1 phone call. I must say though that I took the car in for service at 59,900 miles for the bupping noise, which is within standard warranty.

Last edited:

va_reman

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Package 2
MarkFX6 said:
Issues: None yet, besides the bill.
Wear: Only to drive 4 miles from dealer to house.
Other Info: Daily travel: start up to interstate 4 miles of warm up, 190 degrees, cruising speed 65-75mph, 4 miles of warm down at end. Weekends: 5-10 mile trips after warm up.

Dealer has been good to me and tried to help to the best of their ability. As we know, VW-USA denies a problem and will not put out a Tech Service Bulletin. My dealer has to this date only replaced 3 camshafts in PD's to my knowledge. VW-USA defrayed part of the total repair costs after 1 phone call. I must say though that I took the car in for service at 59,900 miles for the bupping noise, which is within standard warranty.
So if you dont mind me asking how much of a bill are we talking about???

GJettaH

TDI
Jetta TDI, 2000, Silver
Found a great fix for my PD issues; After replacing the cam and lifters in my TDI 06 Jetta, driving it another 60k then fixing a $500.00 fuel leak, finding an expensive exhaust emission leak which the part was on national back order, along with a rattling in the lower engine it was traded for an MKZ. Cost for fuel more, cost for parts less, cost per mile same. Performance uncomparable. Plus the added advantadge of available parts if needed at a lower cost and just simply having it to drive instead of at the shop. So much for reliability on the new TDI. Have you driven a ford lately?

rex_1_mn

Veteran Member
TDI
05 PD Golf GLS Manual
I dont think that guy liked his old car. Guess you have to leave the forum too. they dont support ford on this one........ SHucks

j/k sorry you had bad luck with you PD good luck with your ford.......

va_reman

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Package 2
Hahhaha I saw a ford the other day across the street from my neighborhood, HUGE flames. My sons say, "dad I didnt think that cars burned like that". Called 911 reported it and the dispatcher says, "oh the ford its been reported, thanks for the call". Not to many TDI fires. Enjoy the MKXclub/foundonroaddead/driverreturnsonfoot.com

SuburbanTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Beetle TDI, and two Jetta TDI
GJettaH said:
Found a great fix for my PD issues; ... Cost for fuel more, cost for parts less, cost per mile same. ... Plus the added advantadge of available parts if needed at a lower cost and just simply having it to drive instead of at the shop. So much for reliability on the new TDI.
I would have dumped it "with extreme prejudice" as well, it's transportation, not religion.

Curious though, which dealer did the oil change? Is this the same one that worked on the the cam?

... and how long will your '00 TDI last? :)

GJettaH

TDI
Jetta TDI, 2000, Silver
I cant complain about the 00 TDI. Not to say it did not have a lot of parts put in it, it did, still may have more. It is at 300k but last week the tranny quit going forward. Reverse is fine, after trailering it home, it then drove off the trailer and shifts through all gears but a bit of a whiny noise. It is park until further investigation. Just a better more reliable car than the 06 was. The 00 always has Valvoline full synthectic 5w40, The 06 always had castrol 5w40 that I bought a the dealer and did at home. Never anything else. Had a great VW mechanic do the cam, local dealer couldnt find a leak in an intake hose once and I decided perhaps they were not a good choice.

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
Year: 2004
Cam failure Y/N, miles: No (cam looked like new)
Type of failure: NA
Full oil service history, type, spec, weight, and brand if you have it: NA, car was bought used
Miles on car: 137,000
Engine Mods: none
Number of starts per day, typically: NA

New cam Data:

When was cam replaced: NA
Miles on new cam: NA
Any issues?: NA
Any wear?: NA

Last edited:

clementback

TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon and 2002 Jetta TDI Sedan
Cam failure Y/N, miles: No (cam looked like new)
Type of failure: Lifters were worn slightly
Full oil service history, type, spec, weight, and brand if you have it: NA, car was bought used,and I immediately checked the cam.
Miles on car: 148,000
Engine Mods: none
Number of starts per day, typically: 4-6

New cam Data: Replaced lifters at 148000 miles(2007), added DG bypass kit, ran total quartz 507 oil. Have to replace cam and lifters at 218000 miles.

When was cam replaced: 218000
Miles on new cam: NA
Any issues?: NA
Any wear?: NA