• The TDIClub classifieds section is a heavily trafficked section of the forum that encompasses want-to-buy (WTB) and for-sale (FS) threads for the entire world. Due to the demanding nature and fast pace of this section, it is imperative that you know and understand the rules. It is also important to remember that this is the only parts classifieds section.

Cross-posting and posting classifieds in the regional sections (except the dedicated thread in Ontario) is not permitted.

Multiple items should be sold in one thread. Make sure to provide a description for all items in your post along with pictures and prices. If you start multiple threads with individual items, they will be locked or combined at the discretion of the moderators.

Here is a quick outline of the classifieds section rules. If you don't follow these rules, you subject yourself to thread deletion, thread combination, infractions, or posting privilege revocation.

Thread titles:
    • Put FS or WTB in your thread title. This will let other users know if you are selling or buying.
    • Briefly describe what you are selling. Thread titles have limited space. Be as descriptive, yet succinct, as possible.
    • Put your location in the title.
    • If space allows, put your price in the title

Title example (single item): "FS: 2004 Mk4/BEW cylinder head - Portland, OR - $500"
    Title example (multiple items): "FS: MK6 fog lights, front bumper, headlights, grill - Detroit, MI"
    Title example (car part-out): "FS: Mk3 Jetta parting out engine & interior - Dallas, TX"

Thread text descriptions and pictures:
    • All for-sale threads must include pictures of the items that you are selling. One picture is sufficient, but multiple pictures with different angles will help buyers. A picture is worth a thousand words. If you don't know how to post pictures on TDIClub, see this thread: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=286691
    • All for-sale threads must include a description. We don't charge per-word, so be as descriptive as possible. The more information you can provide, the easier it will be for buyers.
    • All for-sale threads must include a price. Auctions and bidding are not allowed. If you want to auction something off, use eBay.
    No picture, no price, NO SALE!

Thread maintenance/updates/bumps:
    • When you sell something, update your thread with "SOLD!" Moderators will close the thread and update the title.
    • If you have multiple items for sale, update your thread as each item has been sold. When everything has been sold, updated the thread with "ALL ITEMS SOLD!" Moderators will close the thread and update the title when all items have been sold.
    • If you bump your thread, please delete old bumps by clicking on EDIT and then deleting the old bump. This will reduce clutter in your thread and make it easier to read. It also makes you look less desperate.
    • If you drop your price, please update your first post in addition to posting the new price. If you would like the thread title changed, click on the report post icon and let a moderator know what you would like the title changed to.

Moderator intervention and infraction points:
    Moderators will be monitoring the classifieds section. If a moderator determines that you have not been following the rules listed above, corrections will be made and infraction points will be assessed to your account.

What is an infraction point? Simple - it's a system of keeping track of user behavior. A moderator can assign a point value based on the severity of the infraction, as well as an expiration date on the points assessed. If you accumulate a certain number of points, the system will auto-ban you for a predefined amount of time. The more points you accumulate, the longer your ban period will be.

One example of points is as follows: multiple threads will be combined into a single thread, with the number of infraction points assessed corresponding to the number of threads merged. If we merge four threads into one, then you will be assessed four points that expire in 30 days. When you reach five points, the system will auto-ban you for one day.*

*This is an example based on the current infraction system structure. We reserve the right to modify the infraction system at any time without notice or updates to this announcement.

Thank you for your cooperation, and good luck with your sales and searches! :)

-TDIClub Administration

PayPal Alternatives

darkscout

Grammar Scout
TDI
2003 Golf
So there are numerous people out there (and the number is growing) that refuse to use PayPal, my self included. If you'd like my own horror story I can post it but in the mean time there is: http://paypalsucks.com

1) The obvious is writing a check and mailing it, but I know checks are going out of fashion.

2) Most banks will allow you to do a 'Bill Pay'. It's intended for actual bills but Chase allows you to add anyone as a Payee. The check is cut straight from the bank and they don't even charge me postage.

3) Some banks, like Chase, have a way to pay person directly. Chase has QuickPay. If you're both Chase members it's very easy. If the recipient isn't a chase member they'll just have to verify their account information.

4) Alternative credit card processors. Most of these charge the exact same fees as PayPal except they don't pretend to be a bank. Meaning the money goes straight from your credit card to my bank account after it's verified.

They include https://www.wepay.com and https://payments.amazon.com/home. If you accept Amazon Payments people get the additional bonus of being able to accept Amazon gift cards.

For vendors or people that sell stuff a lot (I can't post in the Vendor's section) Amazon and WePay both allow you to set up a virtual store very easily. The advantage of Amazon is that you'll show up in Amazon search results. It's a great alternative to Ebay if you don't want to deal with relisting items and being drowned out in a bunch of crap from China.

WePay on the other hand lets you set up invoices, create your own pages, etc. So you could list stuff and quantity and shipping rules, etc. For example I just created DarkScout's VW Sales: https://www.wepay.com/stores/darkscouts-vw-sales. (I had quantity of 1 and then bought it myself).

They handle everything, tell me where to ship. Tada. Money goes from point A to point B without PayPal holding it, locking my account or other fun stuff they've been known to do.

5) SquareUp is a little device that sits in your iPhone or Android phone and lets you take credit cards in person. https://squareup.com/. I use it all the time for Craigs List, you have no idea how much faster stuff sells if you say you accept credit cards.

So if anyone here is serious about getting to as large of an audience as possible consider other payment forms than PayPal, especially if you'd like my business (for whatever that is worth).

A5INKY

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, 2002 Eurovan Westphalia VR6
Great post. I've been meaning to research this as I hate PayPal but find myself needing a service like it all the time. Thanks for sharing your leg-work.

BTW, I'm surprised you are still using Chase or any other big bank. I went to a local credit union long ago and get all the services I could want, but it is member owned. Way better service and rates in my experience, never any trouble and I'm not lining the richest of the rich's pockets to quite the same degree.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Yes, great post. I didn't know these services were out there. I really need to look into the Amazon one as I do use Amazon frequently. I have had a PayPal account for quite a long time, maybe close to 10 years (long before eBay bought them). I sold a lot of antique merchandise on eBay and am a registered eBay user since 1999. But, I don't care for the increase in eBay (and PayPal) fees and don't sell much anymore.

I use Chase Bill Pay for routine bills at home and that works well. My credit union bill pay screwed me a few years ago when "they" sent my electric utility payment to "never never land" and didn't take any ownership as "they" said "they" use a "third party" for the bill pay. The third party said there was no problem, yet my electric provider never received payment. It took six months to straighten that mess out.

Paper checks are going away slowly, but may never be totally gone. I still pay property taxes with checks and keep copies of cancelled ones. My business has a B of A account and disburses checks to the government and to vendors that prefer them.

Over time, we are going to electronic banking, but that is not without an occasional problem.

darkscout

Grammar Scout
TDI
2003 Golf
Chase was the only bank that allows me to use my cell phone to deposit checks. I have my direct deposit go to my credit union.

https://sellercentral.amazon.com

It's free to sign up. It's great because I take a picture of it. Put it up and forget about it. It's like eBay USED to be. Since Amazon is one company they only take one cut instead of 3 (Listing fees, Final fees, pay pal fees, etc). I put some things up and quite literally forgot about them until Amazon was like "Hey, this thing sold". Boxed it up and shipped it.

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
This is great information. I have refused to use PayPal for over 10 years after a bad experience with them (I'll spare you the details).

Bank of America has a BillPay function similar to Chase, where you can cut a check directly to any individual or business from the bank. BOA customers can also do direct payments to each other via an internal transfer. BOA also offers check deposit through their smartphone app - just take a picture of the front and back of the check and enter the amount... done.

Square is a great little device, too... I need to get one at some point.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
For those who don't remember, Amazon started as an auction site. I sold rare coins on it before I switched to eBay. I think they may have sold books only at that time, but can't remember for sure.

I currently use Ally Bank for MM/savings/CDs as they have the highest interest rates (or thereabout). They are a pure internet bank and have no brick and mortar locations. They are formally GMAC Finance. They have a mobile check deposit app also.

A5INKY

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, 2002 Eurovan Westphalia VR6
Chase was the only bank that allows me to use my cell phone to deposit checks...
That is a great feature. I have that with my credit union. Louisville is a strong "local" marketplace. Perhaps we just have better than average credit unions because of the support they get here.

I have some research to do, but much less now with the resources and ideas here. PayPal/eBay have gotten too big for their britches.

darkscout

Grammar Scout
TDI
2003 Golf
For those who don't remember, Amazon started as an auction site.
For those that don't remember... indeed.

After reading a report about the future of the Internet which projected annual Web commerce growth at 2,300%, Bezos created a list of 20 products which could be marketed online. He narrowed the list to what he felt were the five most promising products which included: compact discs, computer hardware, computer software, videos, and books. Bezos finally decided that his new business would sell books online, due to the large world-wide demand for literature, the low price points for books, along with the huge number of titles available in print.[16] Amazon[17] was originally founded in Bezos' garage in Bellevue, Washington.[18]
The company began as an online bookstore.
Newzboys said:
FYI, Amazon is horrible for trying to get parts listed for sale, just saying.
That's why I also showed WePay. Which couldn't be easier to setup a 'store'.

GTSLOW

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW & 04 Golf
I love paypal and have NEVER had any issues. I've sold and bought using it heck I even have the debt card. Probably bought and sold tens of thousands of dollars using PayPal. It seems 99% of the time someone has "problems" with PayPal there is usually another side to the story. Just my .02 if you don't use PayPal I won't buy from you.

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
Chase was the only bank that allows me to use my cell phone to deposit checks. I have my direct deposit go to my credit union.
TDBank has this now. Same thing. Just take a picture of the front and back. Very slick.

Somebody paid me recently with a service called "Popmoney" that their credit union uses. I had to set up an account but there were no fees on either end and the money went directly from their checking account into mine. It seemed really slick.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Somebody paid me recently with a service called "Popmoney" that their credit union uses. I had to set up an account but there were no fees on either end and the money went directly from their checking account into mine. It seemed really slick.
It is not quite that simple. According to their website, there is a fee for the sender but not for the receiver.
https://www.popmoney.com/fees-limits.html

Have Fun!

Don

darkscout

Grammar Scout
TDI
2003 Golf
It seems 99% of the time someone has "problems" with PayPal there is usually another side to the story. Just my .02 if you don't use PayPal I won't buy from you.
Another side to the story like me getting taken for $3,000 (in 3 different events) If you want the full story I can give it to you.

You don't even have to try hard on Google to find other cases where they screwed a lot of people. Good luck in the future but remember, they're not a bank. They don't have to follow any banking regulations and to stay on the safe side keep your balance there low because if your account gets locked you can kiss that money goodbye.

Pop Money looks really interesting.

skinnyb

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI
Another side to the story like me getting taken for $3,000 (in 3 different events) If you want the full story I can give it to you.

You don't even have to try hard on Google to find other cases where they screwed a lot of people. Good luck in the future but remember, they're not a bank. They don't have to follow any banking regulations and to stay on the safe side keep your balance there low because if your account gets locked you can kiss that money goodbye.

Pop Money looks really interesting.
I agree. PayPal screwed me real good. I will never use PayPal again. Ten years after the fact I still get registered letters from them and have to dig out my legal documents and fax to them from my lawyer to get them to go away.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk now Free

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
It is not quite that simple. According to their website, there is a fee for the sender but not for the receiver.
https://www.popmoney.com/fees-limits.html

Have Fun!

Don
Yeah, I don't know I guess. I haven't used it to send money. My friend was using it through their credit union and told me that it doesn't cost them anything. Perhaps their credit union has some kind of deal going with Popmoney to offer the service or maybe my friend was incorrect about it not costing him any money. All I know is that I got paid and it didn't cost me anything.

bob1122

TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen TDI. CBEA
that website certainly comes of as sketchier than PayPal. but hey that's just my opinion as a computer engineer.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Kind of interesting, this fraud and PayPal/eBay stuff. Seems like there are a lot of fraudsters out there with stealth accounts and that is after being banned from selling/buying/etc. These are unscrupulous folks I mean.

But even getting bashed from Amazon has got them thinking:

http://www.amazonghost.com/

You too can have stealth accounts at Amazon (and eBay) to continue to scam people.

eBay/PayPal link:

http://www.auctionstealth.com/

Last edited:

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Well, I like eBay over Amazon. However, I'm with you about PayPal ..... it sucks! I do not like it because I had to get another credit card. Of course, there is an option to use an alternate credit card. But, with each purchase you have to "click" the alternate or you'll be using "their" card.

I'll be looking into this!

darkscout

Grammar Scout
TDI
2003 Golf
Bit coin is near impossible to get into and it's way too volatile for my tastes. For example the value 'crashed' after the Silk Road was shut down.

It's great if you want to buy heroin on the internet. Not so much parts.

0die

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat wagon B4V
yep...paypal sucks...but a neccessary evil if you buy & sell on ebay...

I got screwed on an RV purchase years ago for about $4000...seller billed me twice. I sent my bank about 30 plus pages of documents and they agreed and reveresed the duplicate credit card charges pretty damn quick...needles to say the seller had already pocketed the extra money so Paypal locked both our accounts. I sent ebay all my bank records and my banks investigation results but they didn't care...

I just opened another paypal with a new email...lol

Now I never, ever leave any funds in paypal...I withdrawl every time I get paid and always pay with my credit card and not my bank account.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
There's also www.dwolla.com ... They have very low transaction fees.
Interesting site. Has this disclaimer:

"Dwolla, Inc. is an agent of Veridian Credit Union and all funds associated with your account in the Dwolla network are held in a pooled account at Veridian Credit Union. These funds are not eligible for individual insurance, and may not be eligible for share insurance by the National Credit Union Share Insurance Fund. Dwolla, Inc. is the operator of a software platform that communicates user instructions for funds transfers to Veridian Credit Union."

I wonder if other forms of transaction funding has insurance for loss of funds?

cruiser guy

Veteran Member
No fixed address!! Yep, we're really of no fixed
TDI
'03 Jetta TDi wagon auto
I used to be big on Ebay but I haven't even signed on in 2-3 years and have no plans to do so anytime in the future since I got screwed by them.

If I'm doing business with a Canadian I go straight to www.interac.ca If you're in Canada and you won't use that then I'm not interested in talking to you!!

If it is stateside I have little choice but hold my nose and use Paypal. I keep my no balance in Paypal and if I have a Paypal balance that gets used first to buy whatever else I need. Once something else is available I'll be using that and scrapping Paypal all together.

ih8paypal!!