Paying $29k for a 105mi 2015 Passat TDI

vwishndaetr

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta
Stupid idea right? If it was manual, it would have replaced my daily. Even with the spike in diesel, still saves me about $150 a month - daily takes 93 so the spread between the two is very small and the range/mpg increase is pretty substantial.

NSTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat
Wonder where this was for 7 years?

I bought mine in 2017, a new 2015, the tires were cracked but they put a new set on. I paid about US$20,000, it’s a manual Highline/SEL. It is phenomenal on fuel, range is unbelievable, very roomy car, and great on the highway. Fuel economy- nothing comes close in this size, even hybrid, for gas vehicles, you are looking at one of those little beer can cars, like a Yaris, to get comparable fuel economy.

vwishndaetr

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta
Crazy as that is about what I paid new for my 2013 SEL. Dealer car? All maintenance up to date? VCDS scanned?
Yes, it's a dealer car. Being sold used as well with a 2yr 24k only... I think that might be VWs standard CPO warranty. They actually have a 2015 Jetta for sale that is virtually identical. Including the price - which really doesn't make any sense.

Wonder where this was for 7 years?

I bought mine in 2017, a new 2015, the tires were cracked but they put a new set on. I paid about US$20,000, it’s a manual Highline/SEL. It is phenomenal on fuel, range is unbelievable, very roomy car, and great on the highway. Fuel economy- nothing comes close in this size, even hybrid, for gas vehicles, you are looking at one of those little beer can cars, like a Yaris, to get comparable fuel economy.
Beats me. Kind of bazar I must say. Range is definitely a huge plus - I am just not in love with it considering the DSG. I don't what it is, but every manual car I've owned has been much more reliable that the auto counterpart (granted it's a dual clutch and not a standard auto). So that's my reluctance.

Funny you mention the cracked tires, because while it has only 100mi, it is 7+ yrs old so I even start thinking about belts aging etc.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
It really should have had a full service after 7 years. It should have the extended emissions warranty still intact as well as CPO. The DSG's in these cars have a pretty good history.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
There were a handful of cars that VW had in storage that were auctioned off a few months ago. This may one of them.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Seems like a crazy price, but it's a crazy market I guess. Strange that it got sat on for so long. I would expect it to sit around for awhile longer if they aren't flexible on the price.

Tom in PT

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat sedan - SOLD; 2013 Passat DSG; both purchased new
With just a 2yr 24k warranty, I wouldn't touch that car for anywhere near the asking price. Was the car's emissions system "fixed" and if so when, and what would be the dieselgate extended warranty on the car?

vwishndaetr

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta
Seems like a crazy price, but it's a crazy market I guess. Strange that it got sat on for so long. I would expect it to sit around for awhile longer if they aren't flexible on the price.
You think this is crazy, this car was listed over $35k a few months ago. Don't think I'm mixing it up with other ones I've seen these last few months either. I'm about 95% sure...

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
You think this is crazy, this car was listed over $35k a few months ago. Don't think I'm mixing it up with other ones I've seen these last few months either. I'm about 95% sure...
It would be interesting to cross shop that car with a similar vintage bmw 328d. Highly unlikely you could find a "new" 2015 328d, but might be illuminating nonetheless.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
im sorry.... but for me its what can i do with 35k.... buying a used car..... with known issues and emissions BS..... OR i could buy a equally used Porsche for 1/3 that price in the same shape.... OR a brand new 2022 Nissan Altima or many other NEW 0 miles cars for that price...
The safety alone isn't worth the price tag... fairly safe car but by todays standard that things is a stoneage deathtrap.... again for the price...
the ONLY reason somone is going to buy that is because its a TDI and or an ulhealthy or bad financial stratigy....

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I have a 15K mile GSW that's sitting inside waiting for when I need it. I bought it "new" in April of 2017 when the court lifted the stop sale on TDIs. I'm grateful to have it, but I paid about $10K less than MSRP for it, even then. If a manual transmission '15 Golf TDI came available now at MSRP or close, I'd probably jump on it. Value is what's valuable to the buyer.

Ragdude

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 VW Golf SEL TDi
im sorry.... but for me its what can i do with 35k.... buying a used car..... with known issues and emissions BS..... OR i could buy a equally used Porsche for 1/3 that price in the same shape.... OR a brand new 2022 Nissan Altima or many other NEW 0 miles cars for that price...
The safety alone isn't worth the price tag... fairly safe car but by todays standard that things is a stoneage deathtrap.... again for the price...
the ONLY reason somone is going to buy that is because its a TDI and or an ulhealthy or bad financial stratigy....
Porsche have their own list of issues, Nissan too and they're so damn ugly.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Both of them are way higher in quality and less issues per 100.
Opinions and what not vs hard facts.

Ragdude

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 VW Golf SEL TDi
Both of them are way higher in quality and less issues per 100.
Opinions and what not vs hard facts.
So I should buy strictly on whats "best" in your opinion and not what I want or like?
No thanks, I've driven Porsches and Nissans, don't have a need or want for a 2 seater car, very impractical and Nissans are just cheaply manufactured ugly throw aways.
You buy them, I'll stick with what I want.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No problem with that.... it's what you want... that's how capitalism works.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
If the price of fuel keeps on this trajectory, we'll all be shopping for e-bikes pretty soon, lol.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It would be about $.13/mile around here. I can get round trip plane tickets to Austin for about a third of just the fuel cost to drive there and back. I would think the airline prices will have to go up if fuel costs stay this elevated for long.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I've got some low(er) priced fuel at my house still, but that won't be true for long.

Air travel is often cheaper than driving. I'd love to drive to CA sometime when visiting family, but the cost of driving always ends up putting me on a plane.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Airlines buy fuel in advance by contracts. $40 a barrel oil was out there in the past and hopefully they bought some then. They should be able to handle it for a short while if they did.

Skimax

Veteran Member
TDI
97 B4 variant(retired at 330K), 2000 B5 1.8T passat retired, 2013 SE (buyback5/17) 2015 SEL, 2015 E-Golf SEL sold March 2019, 2018 Volt LT and a 2007 PRHT MX5 for fun
we did the buyback on our 2013 SE w/40K in 2017. We got $21K so we bought a nos 2015SEL for an extra $1.5. It now has 44k on the odo. I think it needs new front sway bar links. I'll be checking into that soon. The car otherwise has been faultless. I had our local wrench do the 40K service for <$500. It gets about 50mpg in the summer. Great highway car. We have a 2018 Chevy Volt for short local trips powered by solar from our AllEarth tracker system. We haven't put gas in it since Jan.

Last edited:

ugenetoo

Veteran Member
TDI
Two 03 wagons one 03 sedan All manual TDIs
I bought my 2013 Passat in May 2020 with 88K miles for $9000.
I had a t belt, oil change. and DSG service done for $900, so I guess it was a steal compared to now's pricing.
Oh, and I just had to replace the radio amp for $200.
Next up is a Kerma tune to deal with the adblue system and sharpen up the DSG and I'm in for around $11800.
This car will last for a long time as most of my miles are put on with a 2003 wagon ALH stage 1.5 Malone tune towing a trailer 90% of the time.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I think there was a special deal for the cars bought back by VW dealers and fixed and a CPO inspection/service performed. My car was a new stop sale car so I may be wrong.

drew_t

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
With just a 2yr 24k warranty, I wouldn't touch that car for anywhere near the asking price. Was the car's emissions system "fixed" and if so when, and what would be the dieselgate extended warranty on the car?
I would want at least a 4yr 48k, and they better have changed all the fluids and put new tires on it. And replaced the stupid heater core just for good measure.