Passenger (Left) side CV Boot Replacements

flash9

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon GLS 5-Speed, 2003, White
Passenger (Right) side CV Boot Replacements

I have a 2003 VW Jetta TDI Wagon with about 175k miles, and while replacing front struts a few weeks ago I noticed that there was some grease seeping from the CV boot near the clamp on the drive shaft on the passenger (left) side.

So, I have been reading and watching what needs to be done to replace this boot. I will need to purchase a 30mm 12-pt socket.

Also, it seems the fact my Jetta Wagon was built in Germany as opposed to Mexico, I need a different CV Boot.

Since I need to remove the whole drive shaft to do this correctly, should I go ahead and replace the Inner Boot at the same time?
Does the rubber deteriorate over time?
I really do not want to have to be back doing this again in a year to so.

Last edited:

Junkyard Dog

TDI
'04 Jetta Pumpe Düse
Seeing as how it's the outer boot, you probably could replace it with a two piece boot from a parts store. They come with a glue and clamps, and replacement grease, so you don't have to disassemble the axle to replace it.
I can't speak to the longevity of these kits.
If you plan on pulling the hub to install a one piece boot, I would probably just go ahead and get a reman axle and change out the entire assembly. That way you know you won't be going back in to replace the inner boot in six months or a year...

red16vdub

Veteran Member
TDI
03 JSW 5spd
The OP said the boot is seeping, but didn't say weather the boot is torn or the clamp loose or missing altogether. More information needed. The fix could be as simple as using a zip tie.

Bajan

flash9

Veteran Member
TDI
Here is where I found the grease and what looks to be a small crack in the boot.

The drive shafts and boots are original, since I have owned the car for all 14 years.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Just clean it up both some brake cleaner and get some RTV and run a bead around it, it will be fine..... I've done this to a couple on my TDI's.....been three years plus and still good.
I Check them every oil change.
Also I have a spare set so I can swap them out if needed and work on the bad ones when time allows.

flash9

Veteran Member
TDI
I have cleaned that area up and applied some gray RTV I had laying around from a Valve cover change on a different car.

Wife took the car for a week on a trip, I will take a look once she returns.